Windows 10: Windows 10 IKEv2 VPN connects but does not have internal network access

Discus and support Windows 10 IKEv2 VPN connects but does not have internal network access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I test this in 2 different computers with windows 10 1809 with latest updates. When I configure a IKEv2 VPN connection using the windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GeraldEmilio, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Windows 10 IKEv2 VPN connects but does not have internal network access

I test this in 2 different computers with windows 10 1809 with latest updates.

When I configure a IKEv2 VPN connection using the windows 10 configuration interface:

Windows 10 IKEv2 VPN connects but does not have internal network access 29156df3-3f9c-462b-8dd0-6d90e6c6f494?upload=true.png

I can connect to the VPN and access internet connections but I cannot access the internal VPN network, after troubleshooting the problem I realized the issue is the lack of a setting for a gateway, you can find it in: adapter options, properties of the VPN adapter, Networking, IPV4 Properties, Advanced:

Windows 10 IKEv2 VPN connects but does not have internal network access ad602a80-602a-4a1d-807e-204b31b1daf7?upload=true.png

If I enable that option I can sucessfully connect to the servers in internal VPN network.

Then, I made a test creating the VPN using Network and Sharing Center interface, Setup a new connection or network, Connect to a workplace, use my internet connection (VPN) and after creation of the VPN adapter I changed in the security tab, the type from Automatic to IKEv2.

Windows 10 IKEv2 VPN connects but does not have internal network access 48f659b5-9c06-4c5e-8c8c-033f74476f79?upload=true.png

Finally I checked the gateway option and it was active by default, i havent had to activate it myself:

Windows 10 IKEv2 VPN connects but does not have internal network access 10cb3fe9-c9d0-4882-86f8-f2e7d20912cf?upload=true.png

So I realize that the problem is that when you setup a new vpn IKEv2 connection using the windows 10 settings interface it does not enable the "Use default gateway on remote network" option, but that option gets enabled if you set up the IKEv2 VPN using the Network and Sharing Center interface.

I tried setting up a PPTP type VPN and it got the "Use default gateway on remote network" enabled on both, Windows 10 settings and Network and Sharing center interface. So this problem only happens with IKEv2 type VPN.

:)

GeraldEmilio, Feb 19, 2019
  2. Hao_1993 Win User

A problem of Windows 10 VPN (Ikev2) connection

I tried to use ikev2 VPN on my windows 10 laptop, and connected successfully (at least it showed "connected"). However, when I checked my IP on google, it suggested that it didn't connect me to the VPN server at all. And other methods also proved that my
    laptop didn't get access to the Internet via ikev2 VPN.

So are there anyone who also meet the same problem? Is it a bug on windows 10, or just something I do is wrong?

Hao_1993, Feb 19, 2019
  3. dpaz_tech Win User
    A problem of Windows 10 VPN (Ikev2) connection

I know this thread is old, but hopefully some info here can help those us bewildered by this new behavior in Windows 10 (desktop and mobile).

I replied with details in this thread
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/why-doesnt-the-vpn-work-on-windows-10-mobile/607d23f9-eff0-44f6-9308-bbd250569966
    , but here are the basics:

• This is a feature called Split Tunneling, and will send traffic through a VPN only when it is inaccessible to the underlying connection (wired, WiFi, LTE, etc).
    • The way to get around it is to avoid selecting any specific protocol for your VPN connection. Instead, choose Automatic.
    • Along with that, you must choose Automatic when the connection is first setup. Changing and saving it to any other option will re-enable split tunneling and the only option to return force all traffic through the VPN is to create a new VPN connection with
      Automatic.
    • With Automatic, the protocols are tried in this order until a connection is made: IKEv2, SSTP, L2TP, and PPTP. Been this was since Windows 7 as those are most to least secure protocols.
    Again, more details are in my reply in the link above. Hope this helps.

dpaz_tech, Feb 19, 2019
  4. Windows 10 IKEv2 VPN connects but does not have internal network access

How to get on internal network to VPN to a client

I am looking for ways besides RDP to have employees connect to my work's internal network at another location so that they can VPN to one of their client's. The VPN connection only works from the internal network as their Sonicwall configuration is setup to allow it through IP's on my work's network.
    Any third-party apps, Windows settings, or other suggestions are welcomed.
    One suggestion by a friend was to use Cendio, an open source Linux remote desktop server.

I have a Windows Server 2016 Standard machine and several Windows 10 Pro machines

JesseTechHelp, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 IKEv2 VPN connects but does not have internal network access

1. Windows 10 IKEv2 VPN connects but does not have internal network access - Similar Threads - IKEv2 VPN connects

2. KB5009543 Breaks IKEv2 VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5009543 Breaks IKEv2 VPN: My Windows 10 installed a bunch of updates today. KB5009543 is one of them. That update breaks my IKEv2 VPN. I can no longer establish VPN connection without getting this: Can't connect to <My_VPN_Connection> General processing error".Uninstalling KB5009543 restores VPN...
  3. KB5009543 Breaks IKEv2 VPN

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5009543 Breaks IKEv2 VPN: My Windows 10 installed a bunch of updates today. KB5009543 is one of them. That update breaks my IKEv2 VPN. I can no longer establish VPN connection without getting this: Can't connect to <My_VPN_Connection> General processing error".Uninstalling KB5009543 restores VPN...
  4. KB5009543 Breaks IKEv2 VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. AlwaysOn VPN IKEv2 issues on shared connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    AlwaysOn VPN IKEv2 issues on shared connection: Hi, we have some users that have issues connecting to the AlwaysOn VPN. This only seems to occur to couples that work at the same company. Monitored the firewall in front of our VPN, because I thought it would be the NAT of ESP proto 50 causing the issues, but there's...
  6. IKEv2 VPN Manager App..?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IKEv2 VPN Manager App..?: Hello. Let's say i have multiple VPN accounts using the IKEv2 protocol and i don't want to bother with the Windows interface to enter them, is there an app such as OpenVPNConnect for manager the oVPN files/configurations? There must be. Or at least something that could let...
  7. Ikev2 VPN Internal authentication error

Ikev2 VPN Internal authentication error: Hi everyone, I have windows 10 pro 20H2, I have a problem with my Nordvpn protocal IKev2/IPsec as you see in screenshot. [img] Sometimes when I want to connect with Ikev2 it gives error named: Internal authentication error. But just after using browser or restarting pc...
  8. Windows10 VPN using IPSEC/IKEv2 won't connect

Windows10 VPN using IPSEC/IKEv2 won't connect: I have set up a VPN server using IPSEC/IKEv2. Certificates are used for authentication, both for the server and a client. VPN connection works great with a third party VPN client Greenbow but native Windows VPN client won't even try to connect. Trying to open VPN...
  9. MSFT Windows 10 - VPN, IKEv2 and RFC 5685 IKEv2 redirection support

MSFT Windows 10 - VPN, IKEv2 and RFC 5685 IKEv2 redirection support: Does the Microsoft IKEv2 implementation support RFC 5685 - IKEv2 redirection? https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5685 I've read through docs, looked at ikeext.dll's debug symbols public, and my speculation is no. Can anyone confirm one way or another? Docs reference:...
  10. Does IKEv2 VPN need a smart card in Windows 10?

Does IKEv2 VPN need a smart card in Windows 10?: I am trying to set up an IKEv2 VPN in Windows 10 (v1803). I have a certificate installed and login credentials supplied by the VPN provider. I enter the credentials into the add VPN dialog, save and try to use the VPN. I am prompted to "Insert a SMART CARD". When I call up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does ikev2 work but not openvpn

2. windows 10 vpn works with pptp but not ikev2