Windows 10: Windows 10 Image file restore; not recognising backup media

Discus and support Windows 10 Image file restore; not recognising backup media in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I backed up my system using an image file to my network drive. Now that I need to restore it after a disk failure, I have booted from the recovery USB,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ted Norway, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Image file restore; not recognising backup media

I backed up my system using an image file to my network drive. Now that I need to restore it after a disk failure, I have booted from the recovery USB, and cannot access the network …

Hence I copied the disk image files to a second USB drive, but they are not recognised by the recovery process.

What is missing here? Do the image files have to be in their original location? Or is there some specific key needed to make them visible? I copied the entire \WindowsImageBackup folder, which seemed all that was required.

I did check (using the command prompt) that the drive (now DWindows 10 Image file restore; not recognising backup media :) containing the image files is mounted and visible, so what else is needed?

Thanks

:)

Ted Norway, Nov 13, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Windows 10 Image file restore; not recognising backup media [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Nov 13, 2018
  3. Automatic image backups?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you refer the below link to check if it helps you in backing up the files.

Refer:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-back-up-your-files

Also check with the Image backup option in Windows 10.

• Press Windows + X keys and select Control Panel.
    • Select Backup and restore and left pane select
      Create a system Image.
    • Follow the on screen steps and check.
    For any reason you need a backup of your Operating system then you can check with
    creating Windows ISO USB/Disk check the below link.

Windows 10 ISO disc/USB by creating a Media Creation Tool.

Windows 10:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Nov 13, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Image file restore; not recognising backup media

[HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Image file restore; not recognising backup media

1. Windows 10 Image file restore; not recognising backup media - Similar Threads - Image file restore

2. Image Restore cant see the backup file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image Restore cant see the backup file: I created a system image a few months back due to problems with my hard drive, low and beyond it eventually died but now when I try to restore the backup image to the new hard drive which is the same make and model as before the PC isn't seeing the external hard drive that...
  3. Image Restore cant see the backup file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Image Restore cant see the backup file: I created a system image a few months back due to problems with my hard drive, low and beyond it eventually died but now when I try to restore the backup image to the new hard drive which is the same make and model as before the PC isn't seeing the external hard drive that...
  4. Image Restore cant see the backup file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup: I have an old Dell pc with Windows 10including updates installed on it. I'm using the pc only to educate myself on different admin type processes like restoring, repairing, etc. I want to restore a Windows 10 from an Image File, among other processes, because I want to know...
  6. Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup: I have an old Dell pc with Windows 10including updates installed on it. I'm using the pc only to educate myself on different admin type processes like restoring, repairing, etc. I want to restore a Windows 10 from an Image File, among other processes, because I want to know...
  7. Restoring Win10 with an Image file from a backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No external HDDs recognised since restoring acronis true image backup: Had some issues with my PC with user profile, so restored a 3 day old acronis true image backup. now none of my external HDDs are recognised, by Windows or Aome hdd manager either. USB pens are ok. hope there is a simple solution, desperately need to get this working...
  9. System Image or Backup and Restore Files in Win10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image or Backup and Restore Files in Win10: Hi, A few days ago I discovered I had some corruptive files preventing me from Updating successfully. So, after much hair-pulling I did a Windows 10 reinstall via a USB Flash Drive while Windows was running and it was successful thanks to some talented folks on this forum....
  10. Windows 10 Image Backup/Restore BROKEN!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 Image Backup/Restore BROKEN!: All was well in Windows 7 until we upgraded to Windows 10. After the upgrade, I "CAN" back up to our Lenovo PX4-300d. However, image restores DO NOT WORK! I boot to the Windows 10 repair disk, chose troubleshooting, etc. I point to the network location, asks me to login, and...