Windows 10: Windows 10 Impressions

Discus and support Windows 10 Impressions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; FYI: I write long posts. If you want short posts, hang out over in Twitter Land. I am also using a touchscreen laptop and own a smartphone. I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by welcometoheaven, May 6, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Impressions

FYI: I write long posts. If you want short posts, hang out over in Twitter Land. I am also using a touchscreen laptop and own a smartphone. I don't have a need for a tablet, personally.

All in all I'm pleased with the direction of Windows 10. We have more optimization for games, multiple desktops, support for more file types (like FLAC), slowly sizing down the OS, notification panel, and a bunch of other small under-the-hood changes. Is it perfect? Of course not. But with it being free, I'll be upgrading.

Now I'm going to get nit-picky here and point out things that still bug me.

Number one is the taskbar; I use a 13 inch laptop so everything is more cramped compared to a desktop monitor. This was fine until windows 10 and Cortana's search box took up at least one third of the task bar. I know I can switch to an icon, but honestly it feels weird when I open the search box and it overlays the icons. I don't dislike the search box, just torn. Maybe in later builds if I use the small task bar option it will still show the search box instead of just the icon. (If I pin 13 or so programs to the task bar and have a few other programs open, it gets cramped real quick).

I noticed a few concepts from Microsoft where pinned task bar icons where the same size as the task bar and closer together. I wonder if we'll see it in the final version? *Biggrin

Number 2 is the start menu (this will be long...so yeah *Sad).
    This is based on how I use my computer and may not be a problem for others. I like to pin the programs I use most to my task bar, rarely entering the start menu. When I do use the start menu it is to open up a program like Photoshop, Word or Excel. The start menu is basically a drawer for apps that I don't use frequently enough to pin to the task bar.
    Now onto tiles; while I think having tiles in the start menu is nice, I'm not sure why I would use them. Since we have tiles it creates other problems like an app list that you scroll through forever. It ends up feeling cluttered and messy, especially (I would assume) for some of those who love the tablet mode.

Now what if I decide to use tiles? I would obviously want to get the most out of them. This means I have to go to the all apps list, pin some programs to start and then the most important ones to my task bar. Doesn't sound too bad, except for when I go full screen with the start menu and realize my tiles only take up a small section of the screen.
    I have 12 or so pinned to start right now and it looks nice, but when I go full screen it's like a big square block of live tiles on the left and big open space on the right. Sure, I could pin enough apps to make it look full, but in that case why have an app list at all?

I could get rid of the tiles and shrink down the start menu, but then I feel like I'm losing the vision Microsoft intended for their operating system. I hope this is understandable.

Number three is mostly how the UI of the system looks. I like how a lot of the new apps look but wish they utilized a single title bar instead of two. Not a huge deal, as it does the job.

In the file manager I wish there was an option to make all of the folder icons have a closed look; I'm not too fond of the open look. I actually preferred the icons from Office that they had at the start.

I think they will eventually give file manager an overhaul since they promised to include tabs, so there is a lot of time for changes there. It might not make the summer release, but maybe for next year's update?
    I like this concept: http://metroversal.deviantart.com/ar...heme-515479771
    He has a white themed version, phone versions, and versions without transparency.

Number four is the multiple desktop feature. I'm surprised that I'm even posting this as I probably will never use them. But I loved it when they had the programs separated so you could only see what was open on the desktop you were on. I wonder if they will add the ability to change wallpapers and task bars and give people a save option for when they boot up?

The final question: what is left for Microsoft to add that they already haven't? I'd say that they could add native support for more file types so that you don't have to download programs like WinRAR, or hands-off features for your phone. Possibly a program to install themes for the OS?

Maybe Microsoft will add options to further customize the OS; instead of having us decide between frosted and clear transparency, they can make it an option and allow us to change the opacity. A more advanced color selector would also be nice.

Do you think it's good that Windows 10 is scheduled for summer or would you rather they wait until more of the features and apps are finished (extensions for edge, tabs in file manager, etc.)?

Long post finished. *Tongue

:)

welcometoheaven, May 6, 2015

2. Windows 10...Not Impressed

I appreciate Microsoft offering a free up-grade to everyone, very commendable, and I know this post may seem like someone just being negative, but it is meant to offer an opinion to my initial feeling of windows 10, and hopefully help produce a better product
    in the future. I am sure there are others that love this version.

I installed it on one of my computers, and it wasn't a pleasant experience at all. I am not referring to getting used to a new operating system, and some of the features are nice. It doesn't look appealing at all. The windows are bright, boxy, cheesy looking
    and hard on the eyes. It changes the appearances of programs that I am used to looking a certain way. It should never change the way your programs look, and the other Microsoft windows should be able to be customized, and ideally be able to go from a bright
    screen to a dark feeling one, as I know we all have varying opinions. My ideal looking screen is what Adobe did with Illustrator CS6.

Microsoft has to realize our computer screen becomes like a room in our house and our life. Installing windows 10 was like someone coming into my living room, and taking out all the comfortable furniture, replacing it with square boxy furniture, and turning
    on a bunch of bright lights.

I have a Dell 490 & T-5600 workstation class computer with 32 MB of memory, and running 64 bit windows 7 One heck of a nice combination. I have been battling the Microsoft and Apple war for years, and trying to get people I know realize if they want a great
    running windows system to run it on a work-station class computer, and it will for ever with out a single hick-up ever. I don't mean to seem ungrateful but if my only choice was Windows 8 or 10 I would definitely switch to Apple.

Microsoft needs to take a close look at who is making these decisions. In my experience, out of all the systems I used 98, XP, Vista, Windows 7,8 & 10. Only XP and 7 stand out with 7 being the best to date. Microsoft being the biggest PC OS provider its
    customers expect more and should.

One last feedback: The promo for windows 10 that I seen didn't offer much feedback of what it actually does. It may appeal to a younger person...scratch that I don't want to insult someone by age, but it had no substance/value I need info not flashy entertainment.

Now I have to go figure out how to get windows 7 back on my Dell 490

RIKARD_worX, May 6, 2015
  3. Windows 10...Not Impressed

Download Windows 7 Disc Image (ISO Files)

then put the ISO files into a USB Flash Drive with

Windows USB/DVD Download Tool

reboot and get into your BIOS to enable your USB to boot

then save and exit from your BIOS and install windows 7

when you're done go back to your BIOS to disable your USB Boot

save and exit and remove your USB Flash Drive from your PC

then finish up the installation of Windows 7

Installing and reinstalling Windows

if you still unable to re-install windows 7

check on youtube how to reinstall windows 7

if you can't download the windows 7 ISO Files from microsoft

you may contact DELL and ask for a recovery media tool

oh btw you may want to keep the follow KB's out of your system for obvious reasons

KB3035583 – pitches the free Windows 10 upgrade

KB2952664 – is the Windows 7 nagware patch that touts the Windows 10 upgrade.

KB2990214 – update that supports you to upgrade to a later version of Windows Win7

KB2977759 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10, installs telemetry

KB3021917 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows 7 Service Pack 1

KB3022345 – installs diagnostic/usage tracking service,

KB3068708 – installs telemetry service, prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10

KB3015249 – Telemetry, reports UAC prompt choices when making changes to the system

KB3075249 – Telemetry, reports UAC prompts to Microsoft

KB3080149 – Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry, CEIP

that is all I got..!!!!

Good Luck....!!!!!

Whatevaaaaaaa, May 6, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Windows 10 Impressions

I think I want it in July/August. At this point MS has added enough features to Win10 and now it's just bug fixing. When it hits the streets then MS can start to add/adjust features to Win10.

Overall,, I really like it(Win10) and I can't wait to get my copy.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, May 6, 2015
  5. Winuser Win User
    I totally agree! *Thumbs

Winuser, May 6, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    I'm not worried about stability of W10, for me at least it has been as stable or even more than W8.1. I'm kinda anxious to get my mitts on final version as soon as possible but on the other hand, I'll be happy for MS to develop it to closer to it's full potential before releasing it as final.
    Of course, Windows just like other computing devices is an ongoing, evolving field so we'll never see anything final, ever.

CountMike, May 6, 2015
  7. AlanWade Win User
    Like many people had a few mad moments trying to upgrade from one build to another and getting things like the Start Menu to work but all in all its coming together nicely. It is, on my machine, very stable and I look forward to trying Cortana although I dont think it is something I would use a lot.

AlanWade, May 6, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

Windows 10 Impressions

Cortana will be great, it found me a restaurant across the road !!!

CountMike, May 6, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    First of all, welcome to the forums welcometoheaven. Nice post, you showed what for you are the pros-cons-and wish list.
    Personally I could wait until it was polished(as long as the Insider program keeps going) my 8.1 machine is working perfectly, and I would eventually really like to say the same with 10 when I install it to my desktop(I'm using my Win7 laptop for testing).

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Impressions

1. Windows 10 Impressions - Similar Threads - Impressions

2. Laptop fanlarına etki edemiyorum! - I can't impress laptop fans!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop fanlarına etki edemiyorum! - I can't impress laptop fans!: TR:Merhaba, ben laptop MSI GF63 RC kullanıyorum. Windows 10'dan Windows 11'e geçiş yaptım. Fakat MSI'in Dragon Center isminde bir yazılımı var. Ve bu yazılımla birlikte fanları hızlı ve yavaş olarak çalıştırabiliyorum. Fakat Windows 11'den sonra Turbo çalışmıyor. Yani...
  3. Laptop fanlarına etki edemiyorum! - I can't impress laptop fans!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop fanlarına etki edemiyorum! - I can't impress laptop fans!: TR:Merhaba, ben laptop MSI GF63 RC kullanıyorum. Windows 10'dan Windows 11'e geçiş yaptım. Fakat MSI'in Dragon Center isminde bir yazılımı var. Ve bu yazılımla birlikte fanları hızlı ve yavaş olarak çalıştırabiliyorum. Fakat Windows 11'den sonra Turbo çalışmıyor. Yani...
  4. Co-pilot Impresses

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Co-pilot Impresses: I decided to try a wee experiment with Co-pilot. The result honestly was quite impressive... Even 'sounds' as I actually would.Selecting "Compose", I submitted the following:Why it is so rewarding taking my Therapy Dog to visit at facilities or work at special events?This was...
  5. Co-pilot Impresses

Co-pilot Impresses: I decided to try a wee experiment with Co-pilot. The result honestly was quite impressive... Even 'sounds' as I actually would.Selecting "Compose", I submitted the following:Why it is so rewarding taking my Therapy Dog to visit at facilities or work at special events?This was...
  6. Actually we're using PACS where we need thumb impression of patients , for this purposes we...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Actually we're using PACS where we need thumb impression of patients , for this purposes we...: I have installed drivers but it showing connected but not scanning finger impression. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/actually-were-using-pacs-where-we-need-thumb/8c191bb4-251e-4f7f-8129-301e5fc81679
  7. Actually we're using PACS where we need thumb impression of patients , for this purposes we...

Actually we're using PACS where we need thumb impression of patients , for this purposes we...: I have installed drivers but it showing connected but not scanning finger impression. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/actually-were-using-pacs-where-we-need-thumb/8c191bb4-251e-4f7f-8129-301e5fc81679
  8. how do i install steam on a new laptop with win 11 so far i am not impressed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i install steam on a new laptop with win 11 so far i am not impressed: purchased a new laptop and so far i am not impressed with win11 I am trying to install steam on it and it will not even open the file to install...
  9. how do i install steam on a new laptop with win 11 so far i am not impressed

how do i install steam on a new laptop with win 11 so far i am not impressed: purchased a new laptop and so far i am not impressed with win11 I am trying to install steam on it and it will not even open the file to install...
  10. Windows 11 fails to impress Steam users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 fails to impress Steam users: Yesterday we took a look at some comparative benchmarking tests on identical PCs with one running Windows 10 and the other running Windows 11. The results showed that there was not a significant performance upgrade attached to the newer operating system. Today, we are...