Windows 10: Windows 10 in-place upgrade bug means you can no longer keep your files

Discus and support Windows 10 in-place upgrade bug means you can no longer keep your files in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Reinstalling Windows 10 is an easy and most effective way to fix all kinds of problems with the operating system. Microsoft allows you to refresh your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Nov 15, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 in-place upgrade bug means you can no longer keep your files

Reinstalling Windows 10 is an easy and most effective way to fix all kinds of problems with the operating system. Microsoft allows you to refresh your Windows 10 installation with the Media Creation Tool (MCT) or the Setup.exe file in Windows 10 ISO.

When you do an in-place upgrade using the Media Creation Tool, Microsoft replaces the current operating system files with fresh versions. This allows you to address Windows 10 problems, broken features or apps and even update issues. Plus, an in-place upgrade leaves user files untouched.

Windows 10 in-place upgrade also retains settings and your customization. In fact, several pre-installed apps and their data also remain unchanged.

Unfortunately, following the release of Windows 10’s October 2020 Update, it’s no longer possible to save your apps, settings and files when performing an in-place upgrade.

A bug in Windows 10 enablement package disables two options – Keep personal files and apps and Keep personal files.

This means you’ll only be able to choose the third option “Nothing”. If you select “Nothing”, it means you cannot reinstall the OS or perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 10 20H2 by keeping your personal files.

Windows 10 in-place upgrade bug means you can no longer keep your files Windows-10-in-place-upgrade.jpg

Note that the Media Creation Tool works as expected when you upgrade from Windows 10 version 2004, but if you install the October 2020 Update (20H2) via Windows Update (enablement package), you’ll be forced to choose the “Nothing” option during an in-place upgrade and lose your files.

As you can see in the above screenshot, Windows 10 installer incorrectly states that the current version does not support upgrades, and cannot retain any user files and settings.

Fortunately, there’s a workaround but it requires you to manually remove the enablement package.

How to fix broken in-place upgrade on Windows 10 20H2

To fix the in-place upgrade bug that causes “your files, apps, and settings can’t be kept” error, follow these steps:

1. Open Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
    2. Click on ‘View update history’ button.
    3. Click on ‘Uninstall updates’.
    4. In Control Panel window, look for ‘KB4562830’.
    5. Select the update package and click on ‘Uninstall’
    6. Reboot your system.

Open the Media Creation Tool and you can now select the option that lets you keep your files.

Microsoft sources told us that the problem will be fixed in December 2020 Patch Tuesday updates.

The post Windows 10 in-place upgrade bug means you can no longer keep your files appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 in-place upgrade bug means you can no longer keep your files

1. Windows 10 in-place upgrade bug means you can no longer keep your files - Similar Threads - place upgrade bug

2. "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here": Hi. I have been trying to backup my Minecraft worlds and it has been saying "your organization does not allow you to place this file here", even though I am the owner of this computer. I have tried disabling Microsoft defender, creating a local account, and more. I do see...
  3. "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here": Hi. I have been trying to backup my Minecraft worlds and it has been saying "your organization does not allow you to place this file here", even though I am the owner of this computer. I have tried disabling Microsoft defender, creating a local account, and more. I do see...
  4. Your organization does not allow you to place this file here

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Your organization does not allow you to place this file here: Installed Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 on my Windows 10 Pro PC. Went to copy some of my additional aircraft to another folder, like the desktop, and I get a "1 Interrupted Action" window popup that says "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here."...
  5. Your files, apps and settings can’t be kept – Windows 10 in-place Upgrade error

in Windows 10 News
    Your files, apps and settings can’t be kept – Windows 10 in-place Upgrade error: [ATTACH]Some Windows 10 users might encounter the error message Your files, apps and settings […] This article Your files, apps and settings can’t be kept – Windows 10 in-place Upgrade error first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. windows 10 in place upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 in place upgrade: how to preform windows 10 in place upgrade 1. download media creation tool https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209 2.accepte the license terms [ATTACH] 3.chose create installation media [ATTACH] 4.check original language installed 4.1 open powershell as...
  7. Your organisation does not allow you to place this file here.

Your organisation does not allow you to place this file here.: So, a little background. I am having this problem on a laptop I used for school, I was told it was put on the system but I didn't really know what that involved, but when trying to move a certain file it came up with this error message "Your organisation does not allow you to...
  8. Your organization does not allow you to place this file here

Your organization does not allow you to place this file here: I was trying to backup my minecraft dungeons save file and I'm not exactly sure the sequence of events. But I think I tried "cutting" the folder, instead of copying. Then when I went to paste it to my desktop, I got this message "Your organization does not allow you to place...
  9. "your organization doesn't allow you to place this file here"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "your organization doesn't allow you to place this file here": I keep seeing crap like this and it's annoying. I'm trying to copy a folder from one location to another on my personal PC. How do I get rid of all of this fluff? Build is 18363.476 submitted by /u/Tr1Optimum [link] [comments]...
  10. Your organisation does not allow you to place this file here.

Your organisation does not allow you to place this file here.: Hi, The other day I was copying some files to a USB stick but I got an error message saying “Your organisation does not allow you too place this file here”. I have never had this before. I have been all over the internet looking for a solution but none of them worked. I am...