Windows 10: Windows 10 In place upgrade failed

Discus and support Windows 10 In place upgrade failed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I tried doing an in-place repair upgrade of my Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 using a Version 21H1 USB media. The reason I am doing an in-place was that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WingWong2, Jun 12, 2021.

1. WingWong2 Win User

Windows 10 In place upgrade failed

I tried doing an in-place repair upgrade of my Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 using a Version 21H1 USB media. The reason I am doing an in-place was that all my recent Windows updates since 21 April 2021 - KB5003173, KB5003637 failed to installed with error code 0x80073712. Cleaning up the SoftwareDistribution don't work and I cannot perform Sfc /scannow and DISM options because of Resource Protection and WOF driver issues. I also tried cleaning up Windows update components.So, coming back to my in-place upgrade repair everything seemed OK until near completion only to get the message "Undoing

:)

WingWong2, Jun 12, 2021
  2. zbook Win User

Troubleshoot Windows updates after an in place upgrade repair

Multiple troubleshooting steps had failed to fix net framework, scannow, and restorehealth problems.
    And multiple in place upgrades failed.

Modifications were made on each in place upgrade.
    The last one fixed the net framework, scannow, and restorehealth problems.

The computer is functioning normally now except for these 5 Windows updates.

Had the in place upgrade failed I was planning to custom install.
    This requires reinstallation of drivers and applications.

With the last in place working I was considering another in place upgrade repair.

What repair methods are you suggesting that were not already performed after the last in place upgrade repair?

zbook, Jun 12, 2021
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jun 12, 2021
  4. Kari Win User

In-place upgrade - XP to 10 without losing the apps

Wolfgang, you need at least two steps (Vista & Seven) between XP and 10, the Eight can be bypassed:
    • XP can only be in-place upgraded to Vista, not Seven or later
    • Vista can be in-place upgraded to Seven but not Eight or later
    • Seven can be in-place upgraded to 10
    • Ergo: XP to Vista is a must, as well as Vista to Seven but then you can bypass the Eight and jump to 10

Thema:

1. Windows 10 In place upgrade failed - Similar Threads - place upgrade failed

2. Windows 10 In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 In-place Upgrade: Hi, I'm a user of Windows 10. I'm re-installing Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool. But,What will happen if the Electricity went out during the Re-installation of Windows 10?...
  3. Windows 10 In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 In-place Upgrade: Hi, I'm a user of Windows 10. I'm re-installing Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool. But,What will happen if the Electricity went out during the Re-installation of Windows 10?...
  4. Windows 10 upgrade-in-place failed.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 upgrade-in-place failed.: Windows 10 Upgrade-in-place failed.I ran the installer to do a upgrade- in-place and this is the result. Idk what to do, please help.Log files are uploaded HereThanks in advance,Sreedeep...
  5. Windows 10 in place upgrade failing to install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 in place upgrade failing to install: A few days ago I posted here asking for help to fix my curropt windows update and a user recommended me to do a in place upgrade using the windows 10 iso, so that I can keep my data and apps, I tried doing it twice but it failed both times. It gets installed alright, but...
  6. windows 10 in place upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 in place upgrade: how to preform windows 10 in place upgrade 1. download media creation tool https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209 2.accepte the license terms [ATTACH] 3.chose create installation media [ATTACH] 4.check original language installed 4.1 open powershell as...
  7. Windows 10 - in place upgrade

Windows 10 - in place upgrade: Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and click Download tool now: [ATTACH] Run the downloaded tool: [ATTACH] A window like this will pop up: [ATTACH] Accept the terms and condition: [ATTACH] Select Upgrade this PC now: [ATTACH] You...
  8. Failed to Upgrade Windows with Repair Upgrade / In-Place Upgrade since 1709

Failed to Upgrade Windows with Repair Upgrade / In-Place Upgrade since 1709: This is the setuperr from C:\$WINDOWS.~BT Seems tonnes of error prevented me from updating. Any and all help is much appreciated! 2020-02-02 01:15:20, Error MOUPG CDlpActionImpl<class CDlpErrorImpl<class CDlpObjectInternalImpl<class CUnknownImpl<class...
  9. Windows Activation after failed in place upgrade

Windows Activation after failed in place upgrade: Have a machine that was on Windows 7. Attempted an in place upgrade to windows 10 that ended with the machine being stuck in a boot loop. Ended up formatting the hard drive and just installing windows 10. Have done this many times in the past with no issue, but this...
  10. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-Place Upgrade fails...: Yesterday I attempted a Repair Install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool as per the TenForums Tutorial but for some reason it all went pear-shaped… I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool (1803) and get the following screens:- “Getting a few things ready”...