Windows 10: Windows 10 in place upgrade reads BIOS key not installed key.

Discus and support Windows 10 in place upgrade reads BIOS key not installed key. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Dell XPS 8900. Originally came with Windows 7 Home OEM (key in BIOS). Windows 7 installed from scratch using Windows 7 Pro legit key. Working fine for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/youreensample, May 9, 2020.

1. Windows 10 in place upgrade reads BIOS key not installed key.

Dell XPS 8900. Originally came with Windows 7 Home OEM (key in BIOS). Windows 7 installed from scratch using Windows 7 Pro legit key. Working fine for a couple of years.

Attempted in place Windows 10 1909 upgrade using Media Creation Tool "upgrade this PC to Windows 10" and also via ISO and USB drive created from Media Creation Tool.

The problem is that the in place upgrade reads the OEM key from BIOS and wants to install "Home" instead of the currently installed "Pro".

When you get to the point in the upgrade it does not allow you to keep personal files and settings. the message is "can't keep Windows settings, personal files, and apps because you're installing an edition of Windows that's different than the one you're currently using. Proceeding from this point installs Home and wipes out files and installed software.

Microsoft screwed the pooch on this one.

The installer should be reading the installed key first and then the BIOS embedded key only if the installed key does not exist.

They are apparently reading the BIOS key first and using that as the version to install without paying any attention to the installed version.

I'm just putting this out there to help anyone else who might run into the issue. I've researched this extensively and there does not appear to be a fix. I've tried the old ei.cfg fix along with pretty much everything else I could find. No solution appears to be available for this bug which will allow a proper in place windows 7 to 10 upgrade to proceed.

The only solution appears to be to reinstall from scratch using the windows 7 pro key.

Good Job Microsoft! /sarcasm

submitted by /u/youreensample
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/youreensample, May 9, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, May 9, 2020
  3. windows 10 key

Now that I have finally upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 will my Windows 8 key work with a fresh install of Windows 10?

Easy Rhino, May 9, 2020
  4. Aquinus Win User

Windows 10 in place upgrade reads BIOS key not installed key.

windows 10 key

You need to upgrade the first time around. Once you upgrade, you can use that key for a clean installation. I've done 2 clean installations with my Windows 7 key since I upgraded to 10 the first time around.

Aquinus, May 9, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 in place upgrade reads BIOS key not installed key.

1. Windows 10 in place upgrade reads BIOS key not installed key. - Similar Threads - place upgrade reads

2. Windows 10 in place upgrade failing to install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 in place upgrade failing to install: A few days ago I posted here asking for help to fix my curropt windows update and a user recommended me to do a in place upgrade using the windows 10 iso, so that I can keep my data and apps, I tried doing it twice but it failed both times. It gets installed alright, but...
  3. Best place to buy a Windows 10 key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best place to buy a Windows 10 key?: I’m installing Windows 10 on a new PC and I can’t find a place that sells the keys and has good reviews. Amazon seems like the best place so far. I already have Windows on a bootable USB, and just need a place to buy a key....
  4. Windows BIOS OEM Key Different with Windows Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows BIOS OEM Key Different with Windows Key: Hello. I have Windows 10 Home, and now upgraded to Windows 10 pro. My Question is , I have different key between (Windows BIOS OEM and Windows 10 Pro Key). It is possible can have different key ?...
  5. Using the key in the BIOS for Windows 10 installation doesn't work

Using the key in the BIOS for Windows 10 installation doesn't work: I lost the DVD that came with my computer so I tried to install Windows 10 with the ISO on microsoft's site. But when I used the key from my BIOS it didn't install. How do I get the key to work again?...
  6. Windows key not accepted on upgrade install

Windows key not accepted on upgrade install: I upgraded my computer last night, and was stuck at one point when the W10 installer kept asking for my Windows key. Was running W7x64 SP1, activated and all legal. I typed in my product key and it said something on the order of "Sorry, that key doesn't work". Tried a...
  7. Reading windows 10 key from bios

Reading windows 10 key from bios: I work for a company that we get vendor pc's all the time. We need to be able to get the key from the bios and from the registry. With this we can then see if there is a key in the bios and if it is being used in the OS... example will be vendors sending in Windows 7 pc's...
  8. Installation key for Windows 10 upgrade is generic

Installation key for Windows 10 upgrade is generic: I did the upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and my installation key is the generic Windows 10 key. Windows 10 is now activated and it is not an Insider system. What the heck is going on here? Did anyone get a real key or are they not going to be used any...
  9. Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: Hi , I want to do a repair install of windows 10 ( new 1607) with an in-place upgrade using DVD media ( .iso 1607 , engl/us ,all the same ) because of corrupted files although windows operation so far is good . sfc /scannow , command prompt > DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  10. Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade: How to: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade How to Do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use reset Windows. Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling...