Windows 10: Windows 10: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when starting up PC

Discus and support Windows 10: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when starting up PC in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have had my desktop PC for a year and a half and no major problems have occurred, other than 2 minor BSODs in total that appeared only once and never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by _Bajiru_, Jul 5, 2020.

1. _Bajiru_ Win User

Windows 10: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when starting up PC

I have had my desktop PC for a year and a half and no major problems have occurred, other than 2 minor BSODs in total that appeared only once and never again. Today, however, was a different day.

When I came home, I turned on the power strip and my desktop turned on by itself, something that it's not intended to do. It didn't show anything on the screen and HDD activity stopped, so I held down the power button and it turned off. When I pressed the power button again and waited for it to turn on normally, it did the exact same thing again. I then proceeded to force shut down and turn the PC on normally for a second time. This time, it turned on successfully, but a BIOS message popped up saying that time and date were not set correctly. So, I pressed F1 to enter setup but the system rebooted on its own. It then booted into Windows, but drive activity halted just before the spinning circle appeared. And you guessed it, 20 seconds later, a INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen showed up.

Before looking anything up online, I ran chkdsk just to be sure that my HDD is not failing I am planning to upgrade to a SSD, so I did not back up anything like the dumb person I am. Chkdsk did not find any bad sectors, so the hard drive is OK. I found a similar thread here where the user had the exact same error, but it was caused by an update, whereas I have no clueThreadhere. I booted from a USB installation of build 2004 and went ahead to run the commands that were described in the accepted answer. But there was a problem. The Windows drive was not C as it should be, but F in the recovery menu from the drive the Windows installation was in D. C was "System Reserved". I am running "sfc /scannow" with the offline directories set up, but it's stuck on "Beginning system scan" with the HDD activity on constantly for the last 25 minutes.

Is it possible that a virus changed my default drive letter, or is it a corrupt system file?

:)

_Bajiru_, Jul 5, 2020
  2. Va3592 Win User

Windows 10 Start-up Error "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

I have the same issue. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Windows not working exactly correct, so tried to reset it. Then I get the message "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE." . Haven't tried the suggestions.

Va3592, Jul 5, 2020
  3. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after Windows Update

My Windows 10 Pro PC received the latest round of updates, and when it restarted, it bluescreens with the error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

I did a system restore to a previous restore point, and everything booted and ran perfectly, but of course it then goes out to get the latest updates, and the same thing happens with it bluescreening and throwing the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.

I followed many suggestions from a Google Search including disconnecting all drives other than the boot drive, running chkdsk /f on the boot drive, allowing Windows 10 to "auto-fix startup problems", and several other things, and it always bluescreens.

I temporarily disabled the Windows Update service so it doesn't go out and auto-grab the updates, but at some point, I will need to apply updates, and I expect future updates to result in the same bluescreen error.

Suggestions?

Windows 10: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when starting up PC [​IMG]

jimmyheadgear, Jul 5, 2020
  4. Windows 10: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when starting up PC

Inaccessible_Boot_Device error in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check indicates that the Microsoft Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup. The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check frequently occurs because of a boot device failure. During I/O system
    initialization, the boot device driver might have failed to initialize the boot device (typically a hard disk). File system initialization might have failed because it did not recognize the data on the boot device. Also, repartitioning the system partition
    or installing a new SCSI adapter or disk controller might induce this error.

Suggest you to refer
    Bug Check 0x7B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
    and see if it helps you in fixing the issue. Also refer

Troubleshoot blue screen errors in Windows 10
    . With regard to unlocking the drive, I suggest you to get in touch with device Manufacturer for more help in this issue.

Since you suspect that the problem started after Windows Update. If that is the case, then try to remove that particular Windows Update and see if it makes any difference.

To uninstall an unwanted Windows Update:

• Type “View Installed Updates” in the Search box and then click on View Installed Updates – Control Panel from the Search results.
    • To uninstall the unwanted update, select it from the list and then click
      Uninstall.
    • If it prompt for confirmation, just confirm the same. Once it complete uninstalling, reboot your PC and see if it makes any difference.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when starting up PC

1. Windows 10: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when starting up PC - Similar Threads - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error starting

2. Windows 10 PC won't start after update - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 PC won't start after update - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE: So have bought a new A**r PC from A****n.Plugged it in all started up and OK.Installed Dragon Naturally Speaking.Got a code from Laplink to transfer my data.Realise that present PCs' Windows 10 is more up to date than the new one.So have to update windows 10.Thats when it all...
  3. Windows 10 PC won't start after update - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 PC won't start after update - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE: So have bought a new A**r PC from A****n.Plugged it in all started up and OK.Installed Dragon Naturally Speaking.Got a code from Laplink to transfer my data.Realise that present PCs' Windows 10 is more up to date than the new one.So have to update windows 10.Thats when it all...
  4. Windows 10 PC won't start after update - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE: Hello I need help figuring out why desktop will not boot Power was turned off during upgrade Windows 10 will no longer boot No success with: Startup Repair System Restore System Image Recovery Command Prompt has X:, no C: Command wmic LOGICALDISK LIST BRIEF list D: &...
  6. inaccessible_boot_device upon start up

inaccessible_boot_device upon start up: Hi, Long story short, temp files had logs over 100gb due to the sh@#ty Microsoft app store bug. Tried to rectify to no avail, saw I had an update pending so updated. Upon update I checked for any more and it said downloading 0% then would restart my PC. Restarting...
  7. Windows 10 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE: Hi, My windows 10pc is displaying a blue screen with a stop code inaccessible boot device. I have made several attempts to start the pc in safe mode but it goes back to the blue screen again. I have tried to reset the pc and it goes to 100% but then goes back to the blue...
  8. Windows 10 blue screen INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Windows 10 blue screen INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE: Hello, I've just bought a used Dell XPS 13 9370. The BIOS setting is set to AHCI and the SSD is Miscron 1100 512Gb. It BSOD multiple times only after a restart (Not a shutdown) with the error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DRIVE and then it will bootloop endlessly until i either go to...
  9. Error code when trying to start up the pc

Error code when trying to start up the pc: stop code crittical _process_died is the error code when I start up my computer, then it says your pic did not start correct. Help...
  10. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE Windows 10: First off, i accidently analyzed/optimized my SSD and i am fairly certain this was my mistake. i cannot start my computer: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE i cannot start in safe mode, i get the same problem. CHKDSK /F won't run i am trying to avoid formatting, at least not...