Windows 10: Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager

Discus and support Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I spotted this on HTG. Forget the Windows Store. Microsoft is working on a Linux-style package management framework for Windows, and it’s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by kado897, Oct 26, 2014.

1. kado897 Win User

Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager

I spotted this on HTG.

more... Windows 10 Includes a Linux-Style Package Manager Named ?OneGet?

:)

kado897, Oct 26, 2014
  2. DanAz_66 Win User

how many of you..???

after windows 10 spyware experience NSA style and instability

who feel like is time to get in Linux or whatever is out there as a OS

as long is not Microsoft?

I do..!!!!

DanAz_66, Oct 26, 2014
  3. Changing Start Menu

This isn't possible, unfortunately. Modern apps installed from packages (similar to Linux package managers) are enumerated and listed out of the data store. They are not "shortcut files" like shortcuts used to populate the Windows 95-Windows7 start menus

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 26, 2014
  4. pparks1 Win User

This would be awesome. As much as newbies to Linux seem to cringe at the mention of using the terminal, for many purposes it's ideally suited to the task. Makes repetitive tasks easier and makes for very easy documentation.

pparks1, Oct 26, 2014
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Thanks for the information.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 26, 2014
  6. Mystere Win User
    Chocalatey has been around for a long time, as has Nuget. This is basically rolling that funcationality into the OS. There are GUI frontends for both, so no command line is needed for typical operations. Only if you want to script stuff, or use more advanced parameters.

Mystere, Oct 26, 2014
  7. unifex Win User
    How's the usual installation method (i.e. run the installer, click yes) not easy? What's "easier" about Linux-style installations? Three clicks instead of four?

unifex, Oct 26, 2014
  8. kado897 Win User

The Linux depositories also take care of keeping the programs updated. That's one reason I use portable apps platforms (PortableApps.com, WSCC and Liberkey) for a lot of my programs.

kado897, Oct 26, 2014
  9. pparks1 Win User
    Click setup.exe, click on Next, next, next, next, next, finish. Uninstall malware. Reboot.

yum install httpd

pparks1, Oct 27, 2014
  10. Linux is easier if the programs you want to install are in your Repositories.

If they aren't and they don't include install scripts then "hilarity ensues" (and I mean in the TV Tropes sense). *Sad

lehnerus2000, Oct 27, 2014
  11. unifex Win User
    Click setup.exe, click on Next, next, next, next, next, finish. Uninstall malware. Reboot.

yum install httpd Well, that depends on what are you installing. This problem has nothing to do with the installer concept itself. The software I'm installing requires two- three clicks at most : setup and eula being the only steps. Or are you saying that Linux repositories guarantee the absence of malware? Or that Linux software always works properly?

unifex, Oct 27, 2014
  12. Trust_No1 Win User
    This is the reason I gave up on Linux, it is far to confusing. I feel like I am back in the 80's, having to run COBAL UNIX commands. Plus, I never know what I can use with what. Oh and those typo's what a nightmare.

Trust_No1, Oct 27, 2014
  13. kado897 Win User

You can use most Linux distros without resort to the command shell these days but sometimes it is quicker to use it.

kado897, Oct 27, 2014
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

The repositories are usually decently populated for the typical Linux distros (about 95% of typical users choose one or more of these - LMT, OPENSUSE, FEDORA, CENTOS,(K)UBUNTU).

In any case even relative noobs can obtain a SOURCE FILE (most stuff is OPEN SOURCE) and compile it -- often it's a better method and provided you have the libraries, the gcc compiler and sometimes the kernel source installed it works most of the time.

The advantage of using the SOURCE is that you are Distro independent. You don't even have to KNOW how to code in most instances. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 27, 2014
  15. Lebon14 Win User
    I'm in favor of this if developper can send their software without any adware included in the installation files. It will also make rookies able to search for software for their problems easily in a malware free environment. Hopefully, it can give smaller developpers a chance to get their software known.

Of course, MS needs to be lax on what kind of software can apply to be stored but, at the same time, need to be severe so that the installer does not contain malware/adware and co. There also could be ways to encourage people that downloads software to donate or use a simple advertisement banner during the installation process that the developper earn from it, instead on relying on people being stupid enough to install the adware.

Of course, you can always install software manually. This "repository" is only a place to make things easier, not to make Windows a closed OS.

Lebon14, Oct 27, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager - Similar Threads - Includes Linux Style

2. Does enablement package include security patches

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does enablement package include security patches: Hello MS, all our devices never been updated since Sept 2022. Currently we are planning to updates to 22h2 via enablement package. Does this enablement package include the latest security patches? If no, after i upgrade to 22h2, do i need to install all the monthly security...
  3. Does enablement package include security patches

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does enablement package include security patches: Hello MS, all our devices never been updated since Sept 2022. Currently we are planning to updates to 22h2 via enablement package. Does this enablement package include the latest security patches? If no, after i upgrade to 22h2, do i need to install all the monthly security...
  4. Does enablement package include security patches

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Winget package manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Winget package manager: Are the things posted on the Winget package manager virus checked and from the official devs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/winget-package-manager/16e06856-307e-4569-b63e-d2266e0286bb
  6. Is there a tutorial to submit packages in Windows package manager winget?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a tutorial to submit packages in Windows package manager winget?: Is there is a tutorial to submit packages in windows package manager winget???It is urgentI have only one day*Original title: Help me!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-tutorial-to-submit-packages-in-windows/f3c6d9be-a0ce-4eb2-b179-2b57bbf6eebd
  7. Announcing Group Policy for Windows Package Manager in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Group Policy for Windows Package Manager in Windows 10: As we prepare to ship version 1.0 of Windows Package Manager, we wanted to provide guidance on how to manage Windows Package Manager using Group Policy. We first announced the existence of Windows Package Manager at Microsoft Build in 2020. Designed to save you time and...
  8. Windows Package Manager v0.2.10771 Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Package Manager v0.2.10771 Preview: This release includes a few new features as well as some improvements and bug fixes. The most noteworthy new experimental feature is winget import. You can pass a properly formatted JSON file using import, and the Windows Package Manager will install multiple packages with...
  9. Does the Office package include windows?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Does the Office package include windows?: If I buy the Microsoft Office package now, put it on my new pc, will I have windows 10? Ist beim Office Paket windows dabei?
  10. First look at the Windows Package Manager

in Windows 10 News
    First look at the Windows Package Manager: Microsoft released a preview of the Windows Package Manager today during the virtual Build 2020 conference. Windows administrators may use it to install first-party and third-party programs such as 7-Zip, KeePass, Arduino IDE, or Discord. The package manager, similar to...