Windows 10: Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager

Discus and support Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In any case even relative noobs can obtain a SOURCE FILE (most stuff is OPEN SOURCE) and compile it -- often it's a better method and provided you have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by kado897, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager

IMO, that's only true if:

• You have the other additional libraries required
    • Someone has provided a list of commands so that you can "Copy & Paste" them into the Terminal

The last time I did a large amount of compiling was ~20 years ago (so I've forgotten everything that I once knew). *Biggrin

lehnerus2000, Oct 27, 2014
  2. pparks1 Win User

I like having a single command, especially for those things you can use command line switches with. I just find it easier for documentation and repeating. Just cut and paste the command. I think it's easier than describing the next, next, finish and then navigate menus and select options. I write tons of documentation at work, it's easier to just have a pile of commands somebody can put and paste...they never make a typo or mistake this way.

I've never seen malware/toolbars included with any Linux software. This is very different than Windows where you have to be very cautious to the questions you answer in the next, next, next finish sequence. I was kinda just making a joke that even after you install, you end up having to install something that you didn't want in the first place.

Yeah, it's something that many don't like in Linux. Howerver, for a systems admin who repeats tasks a ton, it's a godsend. you just cut and paste the commands in, hit enter and you know they are right. Even Windows is moving tons of admin stuff into powershell and reducing or flat out removing the GUI admin panels entirely. For example, Exchange Server 2013 does a ton at the PowerShell and some things in a Web GUI. NO standalone Exchange Management Console anymore on the server.

With having used Linux now for almost 14 years professionally, I find Linux boxes almost easier to administer and maintain, and debug when problems crop up than I do Windows boxes. And none of my linux servers even have a GUI. I maintain them almost exclusively via an SSH connection.

For about 6 years, I've used ninite a ton for installing the standard windows fare of software. Gives me the ability to install about 20 different things, all with 1 executable with 0 questions to answer. And you simply re-run the executable to update everything all in one fell swoop.

The above type of thing from a command line would be great. If you could type oneget -updateall and it would update your OS, and almost all of your installed software in 1 command, it would be a huge timesaver. Think of it like Windows updates...but not only for Windows and Office, but for almost every piece of software installed on your machine.

pparks1, Oct 27, 2014
  3. unifex Win User
    I do not understand the point of "explaining" the installer procedure - it seems pretty self-explanatory to me: you run the installer and respond to what you see on the screen, usually just click "Next" a couple of times without any other choice given. Why would you write documentation on doing that?

The reason there is no malware for Linux is that Linux "market share" is negligible, so why bother targeting Linux boxes? It does not mean that Linux is more secure, nor does it mean that it's not possible.

I got that it was a joke. On the other hand, it's relevant for people who try a lot of shareware or other stuff of unclear origin. If you are installing professional software that actually costs real money, this is never an issue.

unifex, Oct 27, 2014
  4. pparks1 Win User

Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager

Well, let's see. Because I'm not installing simple packages like notepad++ and avast, I'm installing software like SharePoint Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server, Microsoft System Center, etc. I much prefer documenting the stuff on Linux, where I can just include a bunch of commands, some sed scripts to modify config files, a few echo statements to insert specific configurations, etc.
    I didn't say anything at all about Linux being more secure because of this. I'm just saying it's refreshing to not have to deal with malware/toolbars/etc. Marketshare is negligible on the desktop level, but not in the server room. And that's where I spend my days. I work for a software as a service development shop. We have around 1k servers, 95% of which are Linux boxes. Apache, Tomcat, mongodb, mysql, bind, freepbx, all happily running on Linux. And costing us a crap ton less than what the remaining 5% of our Windows boxes cost us.

Even in a professional software environment, a lot of free software is used. I'm always dealing with stuff that snuck it's way onto our Windows desktops.

pparks1, Oct 28, 2014
  5. unifex Win User
    Well, that's the point, isn't it? For an admin, who performs tasks repeatedly, scripting is most useful as you can automate common parts of you daily routine. However, we're mostly talking about a user client. Typical users do not install software on a daily basis. On my home machine I do that perhaps twice a year. I can't remember all possible settings and most importantly I don't want to. So for a user a familiar GUI is more useful than a scripting ability in the command line.

unifex, Oct 28, 2014
  6. I can understand someone with the job of taking care of 1000 computers this would come in handy.
    For someone like me it would be a toy to play with.

I would never use it enough to remember the script. I would be spending my time looking for the proper script and then verifying that it was correct before running it. I have done some looking into Power Shell and I get lost in course 101.
    What these online courses don't understand is nooby. It's like taking Trigonometry before you learn 2 X 2 = 4.

Layback Bear, Oct 28, 2014
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Most Online courses are pretty horrible - and YOUTUBE / Video presentations are also IMO an abomination for LEARNING stuff. They are fine once you've mastered the basics but there's no substitute for a "Conventional" course -- Self study with Printed course materials which you can refer to / make notes in / go at your own pace / do over and over again.

I've no problems with ONLINE examinations etc once you've done the coursework or even online tutoring / progress assessment but IMO the basis course should be a sensible self study OFF LINE course -- with the computer to help as a research tool (Google etc).

There are still quite a few "conventional" courses available -- just download and work through as you would have done at school years ago and use the computer as an extra tool . !!!

For really good tutorials and how it SHOULD be done just have a look at some of Kari's excellent stuff with Virtualisation issues and Brinks on a lot of other more general topics.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 28, 2014
  8. kado897 Win User

I think we are missing the point here. If Microsoft doesn't implement a GUI then someone else will.

kado897, Oct 28, 2014
  9. pparks1 Win User
    The script would look something like this. oneget -update. Very simple actually.

pparks1, Oct 28, 2014
  10. pparks1 Win User
    Sorry, should have been a bit more clear with my point. Having a "linux style" package manager that could keep all of our software up to date is the really desireable thing here. Just like the way that I use www.ninite.com. I keep that installer and click on it every 2 weeks or so and it keeps about 20 software packages up to date on my machine without any questions, license agreements, etc.

This whole thing could either be run from a command line (if desired), or just as easily run from Windows update or any other quick GUI click a button.

But the beauty is a centralized place where we could select the 30 pieces of software we want, and have them magically installed and always updated without having to do them one at a time, like we mostly have today.

pparks1, Oct 28, 2014
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Another nice thing with Linux installs is you don't have to go looking all over the internet for download sites - some of which can be wickedly confusing (deliberately - hoping the downloader will install toolbars / trial or other crapware) .

To find and install a package simply type something like aptget -application_name install.

All the dependencies etc will have been packaged properly in the software - Linux will pick the correct repository and install the package - even compiling any modules if necessary.

Much simpler and actually much safer than the current mess when searching the internet manually for Windows software installs.

Often Linux is credited with being much harder than it actually is -- some modern Linux GUI's (KDE / GNOME for example) are probably MORE WINDOWS than Windows - !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 28, 2014
  12. Kari Win User
    For those wanting to try OneGet, get the Chocolatey repository first. By default only two repositories are available, both by Microsoft:

You can add the Chocolatey repository with command:
    Code: Register-Packagesource -Name Chocolatey -Provider PSModule -Trusted -Location http://chocolatey.org/api/v2/ -Verbose[/quote]
    • I used Trusted switch because everything in Chocolatey repository can be trusted. If you have any concerns just leave it out, in which case you have to separately accept each packet when installed
    • Verbose switch of course not obligatory, I find it practical and interesting to see what happens when a cmdlet is run
    Full up-to-date list of all packets in Chocolatey repository, at the moment of writing this post there are 2308 packets available: Chocolatey Gallery | Packages

Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager [​IMG]

13. Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager

Thanks for the info. Interesting *Smile

Fahadking07, Oct 28, 2014
  14. It's getting more interesting by the post.

Layback Bear, Oct 28, 2014
  15. Ztruker Win User
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager - Similar Threads - Includes Linux Style

2. Does enablement package include security patches

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does enablement package include security patches: Hello MS, all our devices never been updated since Sept 2022. Currently we are planning to updates to 22h2 via enablement package. Does this enablement package include the latest security patches? If no, after i upgrade to 22h2, do i need to install all the monthly security...
  3. Does enablement package include security patches

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does enablement package include security patches: Hello MS, all our devices never been updated since Sept 2022. Currently we are planning to updates to 22h2 via enablement package. Does this enablement package include the latest security patches? If no, after i upgrade to 22h2, do i need to install all the monthly security...
  4. Does enablement package include security patches

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Winget package manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Winget package manager: Are the things posted on the Winget package manager virus checked and from the official devs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/winget-package-manager/16e06856-307e-4569-b63e-d2266e0286bb
  6. Is there a tutorial to submit packages in Windows package manager winget?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a tutorial to submit packages in Windows package manager winget?: Is there is a tutorial to submit packages in windows package manager winget???It is urgentI have only one day*Original title: Help me!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-tutorial-to-submit-packages-in-windows/f3c6d9be-a0ce-4eb2-b179-2b57bbf6eebd
  7. Announcing Group Policy for Windows Package Manager in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Group Policy for Windows Package Manager in Windows 10: As we prepare to ship version 1.0 of Windows Package Manager, we wanted to provide guidance on how to manage Windows Package Manager using Group Policy. We first announced the existence of Windows Package Manager at Microsoft Build in 2020. Designed to save you time and...
  8. Windows Package Manager v0.2.10771 Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Package Manager v0.2.10771 Preview: This release includes a few new features as well as some improvements and bug fixes. The most noteworthy new experimental feature is winget import. You can pass a properly formatted JSON file using import, and the Windows Package Manager will install multiple packages with...
  9. Does the Office package include windows?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Does the Office package include windows?: If I buy the Microsoft Office package now, put it on my new pc, will I have windows 10? Ist beim Office Paket windows dabei?
  10. First look at the Windows Package Manager

in Windows 10 News
    First look at the Windows Package Manager: Microsoft released a preview of the Windows Package Manager today during the virtual Build 2020 conference. Windows administrators may use it to install first-party and third-party programs such as 7-Zip, KeePass, Arduino IDE, or Discord. The package manager, similar to...