Windows 10: Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager

Discus and support Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Good article on this here: Windows 10 Includes a Linux-Style Package Manager Named ?OneGet? That's the same link than in Kado's original post (post #1 ). Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by kado897, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Kari Win User

Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager

2. Kari Win User

As the OneGet is at the moment quite experimental and to get it to work it needs some "pimping", I thought let's start with a tutorial about Chocolatey, how to use their package manager to install desktop applications in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Tutorial at the Eight Forums: Chocolatey - Install Apps from Command Line

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date

3. Kari Win User
    I thought so; OneGet is like a pimped version of Chocolatey which in its turn is a pimped NuGet. I'll finish the OneGet tut later tonight and publish it here at the TF but in the mean time, for those not familiar with NuGet or the world of Linux to understand what package manager is and does, it's easier to jump to OneGet if you have some basics. (Oh shit do I really express myself in such a complicated way *Smile!)

The tut at EF is very basic but I'm sure it evolves through questions to a nice one.

4. Charlie Win User

Kari
    Just used the tut on 8F to Chocolatey and installed Chrome on my 10. Thanks for the push. Not a Linux user here so I needed the exposer. First time to use Power Shell also. Good stuff. *Cool

Charlie, Oct 30, 2014
  5. Kari Win User
    You are welcome.

I am at the moment taking last screenshots for "Chocolatey: The Next Generation" *Wink, for a Ten Forums tutorial about PowerShell OneGet which will replace Chocolatey as package manager. It is more everything: more power, more options, more versatile, more flexible, you name it.

Spoiler alert: An example of how nice OneGet is. First I check with one command that the three apps I want to install are available , then with another command I install all three:

Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager [​IMG]

"Watch this space", as they say. The tut will be ready later today (it's 4:10 AM on Friday here).

6. Charlie Win User
    Good. I'll be here. Watching *Cool

Charlie, Oct 30, 2014
  7. Is this going to work with real programs or does it only work with Apps?

lehnerus2000, Oct 30, 2014
  8. Kari Win User

Chocolatey as told in the tutorial at Eight Forums only works with desktop apps or "real programs" to quote you, it does not support Store Apps. The OneGet in Windows 10 PowerShell at the moment also supports desktop apps only, no Store Apps.

9. Chocolatey as told in the tutorial at Eight Forums only works with desktop apps or "real programs" to quote you, it does not support Store Apps. The OneGet in Windows 10 PowerShell at the moment also supports desktop apps only, no Store Apps. Thanks for that info, Kari. *Smile

lehnerus2000, Oct 30, 2014
  10. Kari Win User
    It took longer as I had expected but the PowerShell OneGet tutorial for Windows 10 Tech preview is finally ready.

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date

11. Charlie Win User
    Kari
    Just found your post with the tweet about OneGet tut. Giving it a try. Its Halloween night here and we are giving out candy and watching Beatle Juice. So lots of scary stuff going on. I will report back if smoke starts rolling out of my old lap top. *Cool

Charlie, Oct 31, 2014
  12. Kari Win User
    Just stay calm Charlie; the tut looks more intimidating and confusing as what it in reality is. Looks complicated, is simple.

13. Kari Win User

There are no scripts to memorize, extremely little to learn. With OneGet in Windows 10 PowerShell you can for instance install 7zip and Firefox browser at the same time with one command:
    Code: Install-Package -Name 7zip, Firefox[/quote] Sit back and relax, both programs will be automatically installed. How difficult is that?

Or to perform a clean install, then when first time on desktop give one command to install all your software and go to a walk while the programs install. I just did this on a new install which I set up for the screenshots for tutorial. I gave this command straight after a clean install to install my basic stuff at once, with one command:
    Code: Install-Package AdobeReader, GoogleChrome, Firefox, Opera, Sysinternals, Screenpresso, GoogleDrive[/quote] Made a pot of coffee and relaxed letting OneGet to install everything instead of hunting down the installers from hard disks or webpages one by one, clicking here and there just to get a few apps installed. Call me stupid if you want to but I prefer this.

Thanks for your praise, my vanity likes it *Smile. Trying my best to make readable tutorials. Did you already check this OneGet one?

14. It's beginning to look better the more Kari post.
    I will give a try soon.

Layback Bear, Oct 31, 2014
  15. Kari Win User
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Includes a Linux Style Package Manager - Similar Threads - Includes Linux Style

2. Does enablement package include security patches

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does enablement package include security patches: Hello MS, all our devices never been updated since Sept 2022. Currently we are planning to updates to 22h2 via enablement package. Does this enablement package include the latest security patches? If no, after i upgrade to 22h2, do i need to install all the monthly security...
  3. Does enablement package include security patches

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does enablement package include security patches: Hello MS, all our devices never been updated since Sept 2022. Currently we are planning to updates to 22h2 via enablement package. Does this enablement package include the latest security patches? If no, after i upgrade to 22h2, do i need to install all the monthly security...
  4. Does enablement package include security patches

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Winget package manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Winget package manager: Are the things posted on the Winget package manager virus checked and from the official devs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/winget-package-manager/16e06856-307e-4569-b63e-d2266e0286bb
  6. Is there a tutorial to submit packages in Windows package manager winget?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a tutorial to submit packages in Windows package manager winget?: Is there is a tutorial to submit packages in windows package manager winget???It is urgentI have only one day*Original title: Help me!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-tutorial-to-submit-packages-in-windows/f3c6d9be-a0ce-4eb2-b179-2b57bbf6eebd
  7. Announcing Group Policy for Windows Package Manager in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Group Policy for Windows Package Manager in Windows 10: As we prepare to ship version 1.0 of Windows Package Manager, we wanted to provide guidance on how to manage Windows Package Manager using Group Policy. We first announced the existence of Windows Package Manager at Microsoft Build in 2020. Designed to save you time and...
  8. Windows Package Manager v0.2.10771 Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Package Manager v0.2.10771 Preview: This release includes a few new features as well as some improvements and bug fixes. The most noteworthy new experimental feature is winget import. You can pass a properly formatted JSON file using import, and the Windows Package Manager will install multiple packages with...
  9. Does the Office package include windows?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Does the Office package include windows?: If I buy the Microsoft Office package now, put it on my new pc, will I have windows 10? Ist beim Office Paket windows dabei?
  10. First look at the Windows Package Manager

in Windows 10 News
    First look at the Windows Package Manager: Microsoft released a preview of the Windows Package Manager today during the virtual Build 2020 conference. Windows administrators may use it to install first-party and third-party programs such as 7-Zip, KeePass, Arduino IDE, or Discord. The package manager, similar to...