Windows 10: Windows 10 - Inexplicable reboot to a 2012 version of C

Discus and support Windows 10 - Inexplicable reboot to a 2012 version of C in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I had a recent issue with my computer and couldn't find any post on this forum mentioning a similar issue - so I'm posting here for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by loulou30_434, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Windows 10 - Inexplicable reboot to a 2012 version of C

Hi everyone,

I had a recent issue with my computer and couldn't find any post on this forum mentioning a similar issue - so I'm posting here for the first time. Please forgive my imprecision.

Yesterday my computer froze then displayed a blue screen saying there was an issue and windows needed to reboot the system to fix the issue. After it fixed the issue, the computer looked completely different. At the logon page, one of the user accounts had disappeared and the other one required a password that hadn't been used in ages. Once I figured out the password and logged onto this user account, the OSDisk C looked also different, with files only only older than 2012 and the operating system was Windows 7, the one used in 2012. On the other hand another disk, the local disk, had saved all user accounts data (files,...).

I am guessing that when the computer rebooted, the OSDisk C restored to a 2012 version. I was wondering if there is any hope for me to restore C as it was the day before yesterday and if so, how can I do that (or where can I find the information). As of now, all the installed programs and Windows 10 completely disappeared.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Luis

:)

loulou30_434, Mar 27, 2019
  2. Terrypin Win User

Inexplicable restarts

Thanks for your patient help and analysis, zbook. I'll step through some of your suggestions over the next few days - there's a lot to do and some look a bit hairy! That is, for a PC that is working sweetly right now...

Meanwhile, as requested in the BSOD thread (sorry, I misunderstood and posted there by mistake), I've attached both ZIP files.
    --------------------
    One step I did try right away was to answer your question about whether my BIOS is up-to-date. I had no success at the AMI site but did get some info from this commercial site:

Windows 10 - Inexplicable reboot to a 2012 version of C [​IMG]

It was one of the '9' (I counted 10) listed here:

Windows 10 - Inexplicable reboot to a 2012 version of C [​IMG]

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, Mar 27, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 27, 2019
  4. Windows 10 - Inexplicable reboot to a 2012 version of C

Server 2012

IF you want to try seizing the FSMO roles to see if it will help, here is a quick guide (this should be done on the DC you want to keep):

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...ation-master-roles-in-windows-server-2012-r2/

Knowing that this is a DC now I'm really convinced that something is wrong with the AD account for this particular server. It's possible that the promotion to a DC didn't work correctly leaving you with a sort of broken DC.

A reboot is always worth a shot; has that been tried Ahhzz? If it has, then the next step would be to demote this DC and rejoin it to the domain. Once rejoined you can run DCPromo again. Microsoft best practice is to have at least 2 DCs for redundancy.

Wastedslayer, Mar 27, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 - Inexplicable reboot to a 2012 version of C

1. Windows 10 - Inexplicable reboot to a 2012 version of C - Similar Threads - Inexplicable reboot 2012

2. Two instances of Windows 10 on one computer; active version inexplicably changed.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Two instances of Windows 10 on one computer; active version inexplicably changed.: There are two instances of Windows 10 on this computer, one each on two separate physical drives. I do not understand why the "active" version suddenly changed during a session two days ago 2023-07-22. I am finding the change disruptive to my work and want to return to the...
  3. Two instances of Windows 10 on one computer; active version inexplicably changed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two instances of Windows 10 on one computer; active version inexplicably changed.: There are two instances of Windows 10 on this computer, one each on two separate physical drives. I do not understand why the "active" version suddenly changed during a session two days ago 2023-07-22. I am finding the change disruptive to my work and want to return to the...
  4. Two instances of Windows 10 on one computer; active version inexplicably changed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple copies of same versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 2012

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple copies of same versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 2012: [IMG] https://preview.redd.it/z09jz5v8atg51.png?width=751&format=png&auto=webp&s=cb7914dfcbbc8ee0a830674d52071a688a4757f9 Is this normal or should I uninstall one of them? There is two 32 and 64 bit that has exact same versions. submitted by /u/RoyalMagus [link]...
  6. Inexplicable Reboot: no logs anywhere

in Windows 10 Support
    Inexplicable Reboot: no logs anywhere: -- Windows version 1909 (OS Build 18363.959) SO. yeah. as the title says, my win10 is arbitrarily rebooting, this has happened multiple times. There are NO crash logs anywhere, neither Event Viewer nor Reliability Monitor find anything, even after activating higher levels of...
  7. Windows 2012 reboots on automatic

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 2012 reboots on automatic: Hello Everyone, my name is Raphael and i'm new here. Guys i have a question, my machine is windows 2012, and it reboots without asking, reboots on automatic , i would like to know how to stop it restarting if anyone can help me, that would be cool 148421
  8. Inexplicable restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Inexplicable restarts: I'd be very grateful for some expert help on the following please. I run my PC 24/7. For the last two nights and again today it has restarted inexplicably. I'm trying to discover what caused it. Studying Event logs quickly leaves me wondering how my PC can be working at...
  9. C++ 2012 update KB3119142

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    C++ 2012 update KB3119142: my desktop running windows 10 version 1511 (OS build 10586.164) update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 update 4 redistributable package (KB31191142) had this update everyday for last 4 days and today update history says it been updated 4X anyone know whats causing this 44445
  10. Inexplicable windows 10 installation error

in Windows 10 Support
    Inexplicable windows 10 installation error: I ran the troubleshooter for windows 10 upgrade, as it's not happening. I qualify in all aspects, except it says KB3035583 not installed. but when I open my windows update history, it says this morning that was installed, and when I try to re-install it, as shown, it says...