Windows 10: Windows 10 inplace upgrade failing

Discus and support Windows 10 inplace upgrade failing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello All, Im in the process of updating our win 7 machines to Win 10 using the media creation tool. For the most part im being successful.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bauerschild, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Windows 10 inplace upgrade failing

Hello All,

Im in the process of updating our win 7 machines to Win 10 using the media creation tool.

For the most part im being successful. However, every now and then Im getting an error saying "This PC cant be upgraded to Windows 10".

Windows 10 inplace upgrade failing 0d3e1926-43f0-48be-92d1-a21a8e692ea2?upload=true.png

Now I've had this on a laptop before and was able to successfully upgrade by using the media creation tool to make a USB stick to upgrade. But, at this moment in time I dont have that luxury for this machine.

All PCs meet system requirements for Windows 10.

If I press back and "Choose what to keep" and I select "Keep personal files only" the upgrade goes through successfully.

So, now I know its an application on the PC preventing my upgrade and I need to find out which one.

Ive i clean boot the PC i am still in the same boat.

Is there a way or a log file I can see to see which app it doesnt like?

:)

bauerschild, Jul 23, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jul 23, 2019
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    windows 10

Windows 10 isnt realeased yet.

The beta lets you inplace upgrade or you can clean install from disk but its BETA any of it can change.

Solaris17, Jul 23, 2019
  4. Solaris17 Win User

Windows 10 inplace upgrade failing

Windows 7 vs Windows 10 gaming

must be doing it wrong I literally did an inplace upgrade.

Solaris17, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 inplace upgrade failing

1. Windows 10 inplace upgrade failing - Similar Threads - inplace upgrade failing

2. Windows 11 inplace upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 inplace upgrade: I'm attempting an in-place upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 using an SCCM Task Sequence. However, during the process, when the Task Sequence restarts the laptop for the first step, it fails at the 'Running action: Partition Disk 0 UEFI' step. The laptop model is an HP...
  3. Windows 11 inplace upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 inplace upgrade: I'm attempting an in-place upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 using an SCCM Task Sequence. However, during the process, when the Task Sequence restarts the laptop for the first step, it fails at the 'Running action: Partition Disk 0 UEFI' step. The laptop model is an HP...
  4. Problem with the repair inplace upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with the repair inplace upgrade: Hi there , one hour ago , i decided to do a inplace repair upgrade because i had so many problems with my OS. So now i am in the win 10 installation but its been an 1hour and half that my win 10 installation is stuck at 0% and i literally found out that i didnt lose space at...
  5. Inplace upgrade windows 10 20H2 from Intune

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Inplace upgrade windows 10 20H2 from Intune: Hello everyone, After having windows 10,20H2 update ,We are having BSOD issue in some of the devices. So we have contacted Microsoft support. They advised to do Inplace upgrade on the affected devices. we tried Inplace upgrade using Media creation tool, but we are getting...
  6. Windows Repair/Inplace upgrade fails at 75%

Windows Repair/Inplace upgrade fails at 75%: I've been trying to get windows update working but, haven't been able to get it working again. So I tried a In place upgrade to get it work as everything else (Even a system restore point) failed. But the upgrade always fails at 75% at the ten hour mark. My current build:...
  7. Inplace Upgrade Needed

Inplace Upgrade Needed: I was online with Office Technical Assist this afternoon. The technician told me that I need to contact the Windows Team to have Inplace Upgrade. I cannot do this myself. Please call me at 414-351-3059...
  8. Windows inplace upgrade

Windows inplace upgrade: when doing an inplace upgrade ,will it move all my apps into one file or does my desktop and start menu stay the same https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-inplace-upgrade/0d185d82-6989-43e2-b128-0a923556d10e
  9. Inplace Upgrade from 1803 to 1909 fails on multiple PCs

Inplace Upgrade from 1803 to 1909 fails on multiple PCs: Hello, I am currently trying to upgrade multiple devices from Windows 10 1803 to 1909. I have already done that on some and it worked and now after some weeks it doesnt work at all on any pc. I have uninstalled the antivirus system and .NET Framework before doing the...
  10. Inplace Upgrade Windows7 to Windows 10

Inplace Upgrade Windows7 to Windows 10: HI All, I am facing an issue while using inplace upgrade Windows 7 to Windows10. Below is the Scenario After building the WDS server with the iso October 2019 Windows 10 we have launched a test on two PC PC1 --> 64 bit (domain-joined) - Upgraded to Win10 64-bit...