Windows 10: Windows 10 install changes the username part of Documents folder

Discus and support Windows 10 install changes the username part of Documents folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; An independent computer consultant recently installed Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64 KB4533002. In the process, the user name portion of the Documents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SweetTasha, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Windows 10 install changes the username part of Documents folder

An independent computer consultant recently installed Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64 KB4533002. In the process, the user name portion of the Documents folder what we used to refer to as "My Documents" was changed from Phil to pwric. I still login to Windows with the name Phil, but Windows File Explorer shows prwic.

Windows 10 install changes the username part of Documents folder a26033be-b157-4940-8779-57d2de238bfe?upload=true.png

I don't understand why the install process would automatically change this. "pwric" are the first 5 characters of my email name, but I don't understand how the install process would determine this. As far as I know, Windows does not have a setting for one's email name.

I've concluded that the consultant made the change. He is skilled and reliable, and I've used his services several times in the past, but I need some advice from this forum to help me decide whether to go back to him have him fix the problem. To summarize, my question is:

* Would the install have made the change automatically, and if so, how?
    * How can I change it back to my true username?

Thanks.

:)

SweetTasha, Dec 26, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Dec 26, 2019
  3. NongJin Win User
    How to change locations of Documents or Pictures to C:\Users\username\Documents or Pictures

In my new computer setup, Windows 10 set up the folders Documents and Pictures under "This PC" to C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Documents and C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Pictures. I want to set up these folders to C:\Users\username\Documents and C:\Users\username\Pictures.
    I tried to change location through folder properties\location\restore default. But windows did not allow me to do it, showing an error message "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied".
    How do I change the folders of Documents (Pictures) under "This PC" to
    C:\Users\username\Documents (Pictures)? Thanks.

NongJin, Dec 26, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 install changes the username part of Documents folder

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 install changes the username part of Documents folder

1. Windows 10 install changes the username part of Documents folder - Similar Threads - install changes username

2. USERNAME FOLDER CHANGE INTO DESKTOP FOLDER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USERNAME FOLDER CHANGE INTO DESKTOP FOLDER: At first, I want to move desktop folder into drive D because it still has a big space. But something went wrong, so I decided to restore it into the drive C again. Unfortunately, my username folder "Sinta" in drive C > Users is kind to be replaced by desktop folder. Both the...
  3. USERNAME FOLDER CHANGE INTO DESKTOP FOLDER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USERNAME FOLDER CHANGE INTO DESKTOP FOLDER: At first, I want to move desktop folder into drive D because it still has a big space. But something went wrong, so I decided to restore it into the drive C again. Unfortunately, my username folder "Sinta" in drive C > Users is kind to be replaced by desktop folder. Both the...
  4. Is it possible to change my username esp in My Documents folder... it was chosen for me and...

Is it possible to change my username esp in My Documents folder... it was chosen for me and...: So about 4-5 months ago, I upgraded to Windows 11, my profile name at the start of Windows is perfectly my real name. But the name it chose for My User Folder is the first 5 letters of my email address, and it doesn't fit well and doesn't really have any appeal. I don't know...
  5. CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10

CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10: I changed my username from 'X' to 'Y' by accessing the control panel. However, whenever I open command prompt it shows my username as 'X'. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-username-on-windows-10/8fdef822-c16d-4815-83eb-e2e294467050
  6. CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHANGING USERNAME ON WINDOWS 10: I changed my username from 'X' to 'Y' by accessing the control panel. However, whenever I open command prompt it shows my username as 'X'. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-username-on-windows-10/8fdef822-c16d-4815-83eb-e2e294467050
  7. Documents folder is in D:\users\username\pictures

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder is in D:\users\username\pictures: Win 10 20H2 ver: 19042.1052 I have my SSD partitioned with programs on C and data on D. All was going well for several years until I thought I would try to use Onedrive as a backup and found all my users folders moved to Onedrive so I tried to move them out and now I have my...
  8. Changing Windows 10 username folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Windows 10 username folder: I recently got a new laptop and I signed in with my microsoft account while settingup windows. This resulted in creation of a username folder under C:\Users\ with only first 5 chars of my MS account name. Some Googling and some pretty old articles showed that there are 2 ways...
  9. Change username in Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change username in Windows 10: Hi, my sister has a Windows 10 Pc and by some mistake there was a typographical error in the username. Now whatever Office and other software pick that as the PC name. How can I change it?...
  10. Change Username Folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Username Folder: New to PC: I want to change my user name folder. I guess when I started an account, it took the first five letters of my Microsoft Windows email ( DJXST) and made that my user name. I cant change it with right click because it is in use. Someone mentioned I have to go into...