Windows 10: Windows 10 install hard drive not detected

Discus and support Windows 10 install hard drive not detected in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My computer recently shut down, and when I tried to reboot it it took me to the "boot device not found" screen. I've been trying pretty much everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sara_McM, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Sara_McM Win User

Windows 10 install hard drive not detected

My computer recently shut down, and when I tried to reboot it it took me to the "boot device not found" screen. I've been trying pretty much everything to reinstall windows 10, but nothing has worked, either the computer reboots or it gets as far into windows installation as "where do you want to install Windows?" And then tells me it can't find any drivers. Opening Command Prompt at this stage and entering "diskpart" and "list disk" only lists the USB I'm using to install windows, and not the hard drive.

I can get it to find the drivers if I open the Startup Menu during boot and go to "boot device options" and select the USB that way, but in that case when windows finishes installing and the computer reboots it turns on to a "the operating system did not shut down correctly" screen, then keeps going back and forth between the to logo loading screen and that screen until I interrupt it by pressing an f key to go to the BIOS menu or the startup menu or shut the computer off.

On the BIOS menu, it then claims that my total memory is 8GB- the USB drive in other words. My hard drive with its full size is still listed in Optane volume information though.

At this point I'm suspecting that my hard drive might just be busted, but if anyone has something I can try to fix it before i give up I'd appreciate it

:)

Sara_McM, Aug 22, 2019
  2. pooker Win User

windows 7 not detecting hard drive

I have this model WD5000AAKS

It prompts me to load a driver, but according to the windows website, it should not. This hard drive is detected in my bios, but not by the OS. This is a fresh install, and there is currently no OS installed on this hard drive.

Does anyone have any solutions for me to try?

Thanks

pooker, Aug 22, 2019
  3. little cat, Aug 22, 2019
  4. Windows 10 install hard drive not detected

My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Hello Lingam,

As you are facing issues with accessing hard drive on your computer, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the hard drive?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 install hard drive not detected

1. Windows 10 install hard drive not detected - Similar Threads - install hard drive

2. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive not detected: hard drive not detected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/48576ba9-4421-4ddc-b6dc-3473fea08eee
  3. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard drive not detected: hard drive not detected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/48576ba9-4421-4ddc-b6dc-3473fea08eee
  4. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Hard Drives not detected during Windows 10 / 11 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drives not detected during Windows 10 / 11 install: I have Windows 11 installed already. If I boot to the install on the hard drive NVMe Samsung 980 Pro it boots normally and without issue. If I boot from a USB with the Installer for Windows 10 or 11 the Hard drive DOES NOT show up in the GUI. I have NO IDEA what to do...
  6. Hard Drives not detected during Windows 10 / 11 install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drives not detected during Windows 10 / 11 install: I have Windows 11 installed already. If I boot to the install on the hard drive NVMe Samsung 980 Pro it boots normally and without issue. If I boot from a USB with the Installer for Windows 10 or 11 the Hard drive DOES NOT show up in the GUI. I have NO IDEA what to do...
  7. Hard Drive isn't detected during Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard Drive isn't detected during Windows 10 installation: I built a new PC and have to install Windows 10 on it now. I put it on a bootable USB and it's working fine. But when I go through all the prompts and get to where I select a storage device, there's nothing in the list. I even checked in my bios and it's not being detected at...
  8. Hard Drive Not Detected in Windows 10 Installation

Hard Drive Not Detected in Windows 10 Installation: Recently I installed Linux Mint on my PC. Now I'm trying to come back in Windows 10 but whenever I go to Windows Installation page I see a error message " a required CD/DVD is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now "I...
  9. Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive not detected: What could be the possible reason that my external hard drive is not appearing on the pc bios screen but working with my mobile? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/6757b01a-2bbc-48d4-a3f3-b128115ee10f"
  10. Windows 10 Installation Unable to Detect Hard Drive

Windows 10 Installation Unable to Detect Hard Drive: Hi, I work with windows and linux, both are installed on the same hard disk, so I work with dual boot, GRUB does this work. Recently I needed to reinstall linux (Debian 10) and changed the linux partition only, I can even see and access the windows 10 partition from linux,...