Windows 10: Windows 10 install - key never asked for.

Discus and support Windows 10 install - key never asked for. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After waiting months for my PCs to be upgraded (but failing due to drivers), I decided to manually install some. I used the media creation tool to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mrg9999, Oct 2, 2015.

1. mrg9999 Win User

Windows 10 install - key never asked for.

After waiting months for my PCs to be upgraded (but failing due to drivers), I decided to manually install some.
    I used the media creation tool to create a windows 10 32&64bit install iso.
    at Windows 10

I booted each machine from the ISO, and installed windows 10. Never has it asked me for a key.
    Each one says it's activated.

Is this expected?

The details for each is the same, I have put in XXXXX in parts of the detail.

Computer : .E5440W10x32
    Caption : Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    CSDVersion :
    OSArch : 32-bit
    BuildNumber : 10240
    RegisteredTo : L: XXXXX-obfuscated@outlook.com
    ProductID : XXXXX-80000-00000-XXXXX
    ProductKey : XXXXX-JDJH7-VJ2WF-DY4X9-XXXXX

Computer : .S7110W10x64
    Caption : Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    CSDVersion :
    OSArch : 64-bit
    BuildNumber : 10240
    RegisteredTo : local-adm
    ProductID : XXXXX-80000-00000-XXXXX
    ProductKey : XXXXX-JDJH7-VJ2WF-DY4X9-XXXXX

:)

mrg9999, Oct 2, 2015
  2. DwayneAK Win User

reinstalling windows 10 on a new drive

I recently upgraded my laptop from windows 8.1 to windows 10. While installing it never asked me for a key code, and I've never received a key code in my email. I'm wondering if I want to install a new SSD on the same computer and do a clean install of windows
    10 on the SSD, will I need a key code, or will it install without a problem?

edit: I should probably clarify that I used the media creation tool to download and install Windows 10, so I never reserved a copy of windows 10, it just downloaded and installed without asking me for any information.

DwayneAK, Oct 2, 2015
  3. issues withwindows 10 activation

Im sorry i didnt ma it clear that its already installed... it never asked for key during installation but now states i need to activate but requires a windows 10 key

adamlynchyw, Oct 2, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

It is nice, if that worked for you and if you ask me, I would also be happy, if Microsoft finally allowed users to directly do a clean installation and to then get Windows 10 activated.

However, according to Microsoft, this is not expected.

If you do a clean installation on a PC and Windows 10 had never before been activated on that PC, then - according to Microsoft - it should not activate.

Joergi, Oct 2, 2015
  5. mrg9999 Win User
    It even works for a virtual machine. I was wondering if the media tool encodes my windows 7 MAK into it somehow. I'll create an ISO from another machine and see.

mrg9999, Oct 3, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Your computers are not activated. Open a Command Prompt and enter slmgr /xpr

If it's activated, it will show:

Windows 10 install - key never asked for. [​IMG]

Normally, you have to do an upgrade from your current OS (7, 8 or 8.1) to 10 and activate it before you can do a Clean Install (what you did), or follow these directions to do a Clean Install without doing the upgrade first:

Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

Where you are now I think you will need to reinstall the previous OS then either upgrade to 10 or follow the above directions.

Ztruker, Oct 3, 2015
  7. DavidE Win User
    mrg9999 seems to have a MAK key.
    What are the rules for MAK keys ?
    I thought business (volume) licenses didn't qualify for the free upgrade, but i certainly could be wrong.

DavidE, Oct 3, 2015
  8. Windows 10 install - key never asked for.

If you're connected to a domain, or you have enterprise, it will not work. I can confirm volume license Pro WILL upgrade (it offers it in update just like everyone else).

DustSailor, Oct 3, 2015
  9. DavidE Win User
    I'm a "home user", helping family and friends that are also home users.
    I don't have a volume license, so no experience here.
    Thanks for the info about my misunderstanding about VLK keys.

I read the posts, and wanted to understand if the legal activation does/doesn't work for "normal home users".
    I think you are saying some (Pro) Volume License keys can be upgraded, with the free upgrade offer ?

imho, the original license type should be specified in the OP/question/issue ...

DavidE, Oct 3, 2015
  10. I was talking about mak keys for volume license. I don't know if you can get the home version with volume license or not, I only used the pro version. And yes, it worked. I have no idea for vlk keys, those are complicated, not sure if it would work.

DustSailor, Oct 3, 2015
  11. DavidE Win User
    I did not ask about a home version, i asked about upgrading a home user, and they might have W10 Home or W10 Pro.

I'm learning business / VLK / MAK licenses have rules i don't understand.
    I just wanted to know if the OP post applied to Home users, i don't think so now.

To me it seems this is now a license type issue/question, and it might cause confusion for home users trying to follow the previous instructions.

I'll drop off this thread as i think i am asking too much, and confusing things.

*Redface *Confused

DavidE, Oct 3, 2015
  12. KACI Win User
    Am I missing something? Are we talking about doing a clean install from the iso or just using it to do an upgrade?

13. mrg9999 Win User

I'm not on a domain.
    I did a clean install from the ISO, deleting all partitions first. I ran slmgr /xpr and got the permanently activated message.

mrg9999, Oct 3, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    and the computers never had Windows 10 on them before? I would love to see the results of "slmgr /dlv" from command prompt.

NavyLCDR, Oct 3, 2015
  15. Rocky Win User
    Sorry, I did not read the OP's response.

Rocky, Oct 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 install - key never asked for. - Similar Threads - install key never

2. Retrieve windows key never installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retrieve windows key never installed: I have been having issues on retrieving my windows license key, it is shown that in my subscriptions of Microsoft services, the windows 10/11 is included so that I should have my licence key but I don't think I know what is it. Can I use my unique ID to retrieve the product...
  3. Retrieve windows key never installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retrieve windows key never installed: I have been having issues on retrieving my windows license key, it is shown that in my subscriptions of Microsoft services, the windows 10/11 is included so that I should have my licence key but I don't think I know what is it. Can I use my unique ID to retrieve the product...
  4. Bitlocker asking for recovery key, which was never provided to me

Bitlocker asking for recovery key, which was never provided to me: Hi all, My Dell laptop was stuck at a blue screen asking for Bitlocker recovery key after reboot yesterday. As I looked up online, numerous articles and posts talked about looking for the recovery key by trying to log into various Microsoft product websites with different...
  5. Windows asking for USB security key I never set up

Windows asking for USB security key I never set up: Out of the blue, when I use some apps, Windows is asking me to sign in with my USB Security key. But I never set up a USB Security Key, and it will not let me sign in any other way.In Security -> Ways to sign In, I see several sign-in options there and most of them have a...
  6. Windows asking for USB security key I never set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows asking for USB security key I never set up: Out of the blue, when I use some apps, Windows is asking me to sign in with my USB Security key. But I never set up a USB Security Key, and it will not let me sign in any other way.In Security -> Ways to sign In, I see several sign-in options there and most of them have a...
  7. Windows 10 update asking for restart and never installs.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update asking for restart and never installs.: Windows 10 updates says it is installing 2021-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems KB5005033But it asks for pending restart and i have restarted numerous times and it never installs. In the install history it shows nothing installed at all....
  8. BitLocker recovery screen asking me for a key but I never installed it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker recovery screen asking me for a key but I never installed it: Hi all, Sorry this post is quite long because I want you to understand well my case and surely hundreds of thousands Win users I have a Lenovo X270 laptop that was running Windows 10 Professional. Hereis what happened: One day a little bit of soda poured out on it so...
  9. Windows 10 never asks for a key during install

Windows 10 never asks for a key during install: Hello, I bought recently a new laptop (Asus UX303UA) which come with a pre-installed version of Windows 10 Home. I actually try to receive a refund for it because I have another valid key for Windows 10 Pro. I wiped the SSD and tried to reinstall Win10 but I was never...
  10. Windows 10 never installs ...

Windows 10 never installs ...: I was notified that windows 10 is now available for my PC for free update. I clicked on the icon and it downloaded the files and popped up a window to restart my computer to begin the install process. I restarted my computer and it loaded my current windows 7 and popped...