Windows 10: Windows 10 install - key never asked for.

Discus and support Windows 10 install - key never asked for. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I never said you type your Windows 7 or 8.1 key when asked for a key, but you can tell the Microsoft representative if he asks you for that when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mrg9999, Oct 2, 2015.

1. spapakons Win User

Windows 10 install - key never asked for.

I never said you type your Windows 7 or 8.1 key when asked for a key, but you can tell the Microsoft representative if he asks you for that when activating by phone. Obviously he will ask you for some proof that you have a genuine previous Windows key and that you quality for a free respective (from Home to Home or Pro to Pro) Windows 10 key, before giving you the activation code. This procedure is done automatically for OEM computers as the key is stored in BIOS and can be checked by Windows Setup for validity. So if one has a genuine key of a previous Windows version he qualifies for install Windows 10 free at his computer either by upgrade or clean install. That's what I mean. Of course he cannot just type this key when asked for a key during setup! If he does a clean install he will simply skip entering a key and then activate by phone. During Windows activation by phone the Microsoft representative will tell him to type a key. That's the way it was done in Vista, 7 and 8, I have activated by phone many systems, I'm a technician.

spapakons, Oct 7, 2015
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

What you were mistaken about, spapakons, is Windows 10 checking anywhere, including the bios / motherboard, for previous operating system Product Keys. It doesn't do that. At all. At any stage of installing or upgrading. It does probably check for a Windows 10 Product Key stored in bios - but if it doesn't find a Windows 10 Product Key, it completely ignores any and all other Product Keys.

It has been explained many times what Windows 10 does check for.

NavyLCDR, Oct 7, 2015
  3. spapakons Win User
    That doesn't change the fact that you can do a clean installation, skip entering a key and then activate by phone. You have to tell Microsoft that you have a genuine earlier version, so you are entitled to get Windows 10 for free. When skipping the key, there is a risk installing the wrong version (eg Pro while your previous version was Home) and then not being able to activate it. Assuming one knows what he is doing and choses the correct version, he can then call Microsoft and activate by phone. The representative will ask for proof that he has a genuine previous version, hence the need for the earlier key I mentioned.

spapakons, Oct 7, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

And that would be correct; IF the Microsoft rep is willing to do it. Most of the times in the past they have told the customer to go back and install their previous OS and upgrade from it.

NavyLCDR, Oct 7, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    That's a risk to take, but a clean installation is no trouble done again, except for time consuming. You don't have to backup anything, just format and do it. So if you are lucky enough and Microsoft activates your installation by phone, then OK. Otherwise you will have to devote a couple of hours to install Windows 8.1 first and then 10. C' est la vie, as French say, or $h1t happens, as English say.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 install - key never asked for. - Similar Threads - install key never

2. Retrieve windows key never installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retrieve windows key never installed: I have been having issues on retrieving my windows license key, it is shown that in my subscriptions of Microsoft services, the windows 10/11 is included so that I should have my licence key but I don't think I know what is it. Can I use my unique ID to retrieve the product...
  3. Retrieve windows key never installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retrieve windows key never installed: I have been having issues on retrieving my windows license key, it is shown that in my subscriptions of Microsoft services, the windows 10/11 is included so that I should have my licence key but I don't think I know what is it. Can I use my unique ID to retrieve the product...
  4. Bitlocker asking for recovery key, which was never provided to me

Bitlocker asking for recovery key, which was never provided to me: Hi all, My Dell laptop was stuck at a blue screen asking for Bitlocker recovery key after reboot yesterday. As I looked up online, numerous articles and posts talked about looking for the recovery key by trying to log into various Microsoft product websites with different...
  5. Windows asking for USB security key I never set up

Windows asking for USB security key I never set up: Out of the blue, when I use some apps, Windows is asking me to sign in with my USB Security key. But I never set up a USB Security Key, and it will not let me sign in any other way.In Security -> Ways to sign In, I see several sign-in options there and most of them have a...
  6. Windows asking for USB security key I never set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows asking for USB security key I never set up: Out of the blue, when I use some apps, Windows is asking me to sign in with my USB Security key. But I never set up a USB Security Key, and it will not let me sign in any other way.In Security -> Ways to sign In, I see several sign-in options there and most of them have a...
  7. Windows 10 update asking for restart and never installs.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update asking for restart and never installs.: Windows 10 updates says it is installing 2021-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems KB5005033But it asks for pending restart and i have restarted numerous times and it never installs. In the install history it shows nothing installed at all....
  8. BitLocker recovery screen asking me for a key but I never installed it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker recovery screen asking me for a key but I never installed it: Hi all, Sorry this post is quite long because I want you to understand well my case and surely hundreds of thousands Win users I have a Lenovo X270 laptop that was running Windows 10 Professional. Hereis what happened: One day a little bit of soda poured out on it so...
  9. Windows 10 never asks for a key during install

Windows 10 never asks for a key during install: Hello, I bought recently a new laptop (Asus UX303UA) which come with a pre-installed version of Windows 10 Home. I actually try to receive a refund for it because I have another valid key for Windows 10 Pro. I wiped the SSD and tried to reinstall Win10 but I was never...
  10. Windows 10 never installs ...

Windows 10 never installs ...: I was notified that windows 10 is now available for my PC for free update. I clicked on the icon and it downloaded the files and popped up a window to restart my computer to begin the install process. I restarted my computer and it loaded my current windows 7 and popped...