Windows 10: Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

Discus and support Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just purchased a license for Win 10 Pro to install on a Virtual Machine hosted on a new Dell Laptop running Win 11 Pro. The Microsoft website did not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by R.Hobbs, May 16, 2022.

1. R.Hobbs Win User

Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

I just purchased a license for Win 10 Pro to install on a Virtual Machine hosted on a new Dell Laptop running Win 11 Pro. The Microsoft website did not allow me to buy a Win 11 License/product key, which would have been preferred since I plan to use this VM to test Win 11 functionality software. My "Plan B" is to upgrade the Win 10 Pro to Win 11 after installing.I chose the "USB" download option provided on the Microsoft website for the download of the Windows installables because CD/DVD devices are obsolete!. However upon setting up my Hyper-V VM, when I get to the "Select Operating Sy

:)

R.Hobbs, May 16, 2022
  2. S_and_S Win User

Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, May 16, 2022
  3. Kari Win User
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

4. xkm1948 Win User

Install Linux in a Windows 10 Virtual Machine?

What is a good virtual machine software I can use to setup a Linux environment? I am having too much trouble dual booting Mint with my Windows 10. Is there a quick way to setup up VM for Linux?

xkm1948, May 16, 2022
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine - Similar Threads - Install Virtual Machine

2. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine: Hello,I currently dual boot Linux and Windows, using primarily Linux. I'd like to move my physical windows partition, or even just the license, to a virtual machine on my Linux partition. How can I reactivate my Windows license once I perform the move?...
  3. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine: Hello,I currently dual boot Linux and Windows, using primarily Linux. I'd like to move my physical windows partition, or even just the license, to a virtual machine on my Linux partition. How can I reactivate my Windows license once I perform the move?...
  4. Moving Windows 10 Installation to Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine: I just purchased a license for Win 10 Pro to install on a Virtual Machine hosted on a new Dell Laptop running Win 11 Pro. The Microsoft website did not allow me to buy a Win 11 License/product key, which would have been preferred since I plan to use this VM to test Win 11...
  6. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine: I just purchased a license for Win 10 Pro to install on a Virtual Machine hosted on a new Dell Laptop running Win 11 Pro. The Microsoft website did not allow me to buy a Win 11 License/product key, which would have been preferred since I plan to use this VM to test Win 11...
  7. Virtual machine not installing windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual machine not installing windows: I decided to install Windows 10 as a VM on my iPhone using QEMU, but I'm forced to use 1GB for RAM and the x86 build. Slow as heck. After restarting, it prepares devices, "getting ready" for 15 mins and then boom - black screen. Not off, of course, it's black. The backlight...
  8. Installing Windows 10 as a Virtual Machine with VMware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 as a Virtual Machine with VMware: I have my registered copy of Windows 10. I want to install it as a virtual machine on VMware. Will my registration activate on the virtual machine if it is already activated on the host machine? If so, since it was tied to this machine at install, how do I register the...
  9. Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How do I set up a Virtual Machine in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-virtual-machine-in-windows-10/c3a94127-bdd5-46cd-b220-3e754f0e4bc9
  10. Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox: How to: Install Windows 10 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox How to Install Windows 10 as Virtual Machine in VirtualBox VirtualBox is a cross-platform virtualization application. What does that mean? For one thing, it installs on your existing Intel or AMD-based computers,...