Windows 10: Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space

Discus and support Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The partition marked System is always the one booting the OS(es) and the only one which should be marked Active. With multiple HD's you have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mac173173, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space

The partition marked System is always the one booting the OS(es) and the only one which should be marked Active.

With multiple HD's you have the choice to leave all plugged in during install to create a Windows MultiBoot Menu, or you can unplug the other HD so that the SSD becomes independently bootable via the BIOS.

If BIOS boot is not to your liking then you can install EasyBCD to the System drive to add the other to a Windows Boot menu, but the advantage is that the drives still remain independently bootable since boot code has been written to each now.

Can we see another screenshot of Disk Mgmt to see how this went?

gregrocker, Oct 9, 2014
  2. topgundcp Win User

From his screen shot, Windows 7 is the E: Drive. You don't need to install EasyBCD to set up dual boot. From Windows 10, open the Admin command prompt then type: bcdboot E:\Windows. This should add an entry to the BCD for Windows 7.

topgundcp, Oct 9, 2014
  3. mac173173 Win User
    Here is the current Disk Management.

Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space [​IMG]

I changed the boot priority to Win7 first, and now it is working fine. I can boot into either 7 or 10, and am slowly downloading tools and programs into 10 to test them.

mac173173, Oct 9, 2014
  4. Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space

You just moved the System boot files from the 100mb System Reserved partition intended to boot Win7 (strangely mislabeled "Data) to C. If you had Disk1 plugged in when you did this then the Repairs will have made its OS's also bootable from C so that Disk1 is not (or no longer, if it ever was) independently bootable.

Yet Disk1 has a System Reserved boot partition too, marked Active pointing to it as the intended boot partition for that drive. However when it is not booted we cannot see if it also marked System confirming beyond doubt it is the partition which boots the OS's on Disk1. I doubt it, since you had to set Disk0 first to boot in order to boot Disk1.

This configuration is problematic and needs to be studied from all views.

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management from Windows 10 now. Right click the Start Button to select Disk Management.

gregrocker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space

1. Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space - Similar Threads - Install says don't

2. it's telling me that i don't have enough space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    it's telling me that i don't have enough space: i downloaded the game from steam and downloaded 100 gb from it , then i restarted my pc and tried to resume the download but it tells me that i need more space , before i restarted there was 15 gb remaining and i have 28 gb....
  3. it's telling me that i don't have enough space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    it's telling me that i don't have enough space: i downloaded the game from steam and downloaded 100 gb from it , then i restarted my pc and tried to resume the download but it tells me that i need more space , before i restarted there was 15 gb remaining and i have 28 gb....
  4. Not Enough space! :Installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not Enough space! :Installation: Hello!I hope you're reading this! You can help!I recently downloaded MSFS 2020, which is 77 GB. But I installed it on my D drive, which has 100 GB left. So it is now impossible to extract the zip file of MSFS 2020 without encountering the "not enough disk space" problem! I...
  5. Not Enough space! :Installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Enough space! :Installation: Hello!I hope you're reading this! You can help!I recently downloaded MSFS 2020, which is 77 GB. But I installed it on my D drive, which has 100 GB left. So it is now impossible to extract the zip file of MSFS 2020 without encountering the "not enough disk space" problem! I...
  6. Not Enough space! :Installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Installing Windows not enough space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows not enough space: Sorry for the terrible photo. I'm trying to reinstall windows on my m.2 drive which I have formatted already but it's telling me that 465.8GB is not enough space?...
  8. PC Crashed. Windows says I don't have enough space to reformat???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Crashed. Windows says I don't have enough space to reformat???: Title says it all. I went to turn on my PC and it went into the Windows recovery menu. I tried all of the repair options and was left with reformatting the hard drive... which apparently I don't have enough space to do. I've never heard of this and I don't see how having...
  9. Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore: I think that I have made a mess of my new Laptop Computer, unfortunately. I bought it a couple of years ago. My Desktop Computer recently got a blue screen after just trying to do a System Restore on it, and I was unable to fix it to get it working again. I tried everything....
  10. I don't have enough space to download windows 10 despite having done a complete factory...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I don't have enough space to download windows 10 despite having done a complete factory...: I did a complete factory reset of my hp laptop so I could have enough space to download windows There are no extra files saved onto the laptop, no new apps or documents. I even uninstalled apps that came with the laptop, however there is still not enough space. This is...