Windows 10: Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore

Discus and support Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I think that I have made a mess of my new Laptop Computer, unfortunately. I bought it a couple of years ago. My Desktop Computer recently got a blue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ClaudiaThompson, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore

I think that I have made a mess of my new Laptop Computer, unfortunately. I bought it a couple of years ago. My Desktop Computer recently got a blue screen after just trying to do a System Restore on it, and I was unable to fix it to get it working again. I tried everything. And so I got out my Laptop Computer that I had bought as a backup in case anything ever happened to my desktop computer, which of course, it did. I had to learn how to set it all up and managed to do that successfully. It came with Windows 10.

So anyway then my update thing kept saying that I needed to upgrade my Windows 10 to the 1903 version. And so I downloaded it, along with the Windows Upgrade Assistant. But no matter what I have tried, it just keeps telling me that I don't have enough space to do it. So I have tried all the ways it says to do, to free up space, but it is never enough and to me it seems that there was hardly anything on it in the first place. So I was desperate and started trying to delete things, even my desktop and put the folders onto an empty 32GB Flash Drive, thinking that I could then have enough space, but no, it never seems to be enough. Then I tried putting the folders back onto my computer but now when I open to restart my computer it says D:\Desktop\ is not available. Plus, I still am unable to upgrade my computer to Windows 10 the new version.

So now I have more problems than when I started. I have tried doing a System Recovery but it even says that I dont have enough space for that. To me it seems crazy that there seems to be not even enough space on this computer to turn around and it's supposed to be new. And then someone will tell me to do a full clean windows install and I haven't got a clue what they mean.

Can anybody please help me with this, please? At this point, I would like to get everything off this computer and set it to Factory Default Settings and start all over with it but it won't even allow me to do that since there isn't enough space on it, it says. I have never before experienced this problem of my computer saying that there wasn't enough space to do anything on it, and it's a new computer. What good is it if you can't even put anything on it? Geesh!

I would appreciate it so much,

Claudia

:)

ClaudiaThompson, Oct 7, 2019

2. Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Oct 7, 2019
  3. von kain Win User
    How much space does a Windows Vista Install take?

allthough im not sure i guess about 4gigs for the vista setup,1gb for the system restore (approx) and 1.5 your system memory for the swap file.

if you have (on the same partition or the same disk) i suggest not install the vista there is a fault with the system restore files (if they are on the same disk or partition) so on both os you will have a fault window that says that the restore files are corrupted (then the best is to shut on one of the two os the system restore i suggest on xp) but i don't know if there is a patch for it

von kain, Oct 7, 2019
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Oct 7, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore

1. Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore - Similar Threads - install says enough

2. Not Enough space! :Installation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not Enough space! :Installation: Hello!I hope you're reading this! You can help!I recently downloaded MSFS 2020, which is 77 GB. But I installed it on my D drive, which has 100 GB left. So it is now impossible to extract the zip file of MSFS 2020 without encountering the "not enough disk space" problem! I...
  3. Not Enough space! :Installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Enough space! :Installation: Hello!I hope you're reading this! You can help!I recently downloaded MSFS 2020, which is 77 GB. But I installed it on my D drive, which has 100 GB left. So it is now impossible to extract the zip file of MSFS 2020 without encountering the "not enough disk space" problem! I...
  4. Not Enough space! :Installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Installing Windows not enough space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows not enough space: Sorry for the terrible photo. I'm trying to reinstall windows on my m.2 drive which I have formatted already but it's telling me that 465.8GB is not enough space?...
  6. Installing Windows not enough space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows not enough space: Sorry for the terrible photo. I'm trying to reinstall windows on my m.2 drive which I have formatted already but it's telling me that 465.8GB is not enough space?...
  7. Installing Windows not enough space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Can't install Windows 10, it says there isn't enough space available when there is

Can't install Windows 10, it says there isn't enough space available when there is: I recently disassembled and then reassembled one of my PCs. It was briefly taken apart while I waited for a couple parts for a new PC but now it's what it was before. All the parts were put in correctly, and the PC was working perfectly fine up until I wiped the files. The...
  9. Not enough space for upgrade

Not enough space for upgrade: Hi, I'm in possession of a Lenovo Yoga 300, which has Win 8.1 on it. I offered to upgrade it to Win 10 for the owner (the notification says it's fine for this). However, the SSD is only ~20Gb, and after a disk cleanup has only approx 5 or 6Gb's free. Windows upgrade said it...
  10. Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space

Windows 10 Install says I don't have enough space: I have a 2 terrabyte HD as a backup/file server in my machine. My C drive is a 500 gig SSD. I partitioned the HD and left 625 gigs for Win10. I originally had a problem because my BIOS was not set to Legacy, but I fixed that. NOW the install program says I don't have...