Windows 10: Windows 10 installation bug accidentally forces users to buy Microsoft 365

Discus and support Windows 10 installation bug accidentally forces users to buy Microsoft 365 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10 has again started displaying a full-screen pop-up that takes up the whole screen (similar to the first boot experience) and attempts to sell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 4, 2023.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 installation bug accidentally forces users to buy Microsoft 365

Windows 10 has again started displaying a full-screen pop-up that takes up the whole screen (similar to the first boot experience) and attempts to sell Microsoft 365. The pop-up itself isn’t new, but there’s a catch – a bug in Windows 11 22H2 prevents users from skipping the Microsoft 365 offer, which means they’re asked to enter credit card details.

The full-screen nag, which is occasionally pushed by the company once in a while, attempts to promote Microsoft services, such as OneDrive and Microsoft 365. This is part of the company’s efforts to make “Windows even better” by helping customers discover the abovementioned services.

It also attempts to link your Android phone to Windows 10 and pushes users to sign in to their Microsoft account. As mentioned at the outset, Windows 10’s full-screen pop-ups have been around for years and were first spotted in 2018 when the company enthusiastically hoped to hook up your PC and account with other Microsoft services.

Microsoft has shipped Windows 10 22H2 with an undocumented bug where users could be forced to enter their credit card details for Microsoft 365 trial.

Windows 10 installation bug accidentally forces users to buy Microsoft 365 Windows-10-installation-bug.jpg
    Image Courtesy: Reddit

When you’re on the setup screen or “first boot experience” screen, you’ll have two options for Microsoft 365 offer – “Try for free” and “No, thanks”. The “No, thanks” button should ideally skip the Microsoft 365 registration and proceed to the next screen, but there’s a bug where the “No, thanks” button opens the registration window.

A Microsoft source, who wished to remain anonymous, confirmed that this move isn’t intentional and is a bug. The company accidentally switched over the strings for “No, thanks” with “Try for free”. In other words, the try it button is actually “No, thanks”, and “No, thanks” is a sign-up button.

“The buttons are simply flipped due to a bug,” a source confirmed. You can go back to the previous screen and skip the offer by selecting the other button. Or you can always disconnect from the internet when setting up Windows 10.

Microsoft has yet to acknowledge the problem, but we expect it to be fixed in a future cumulative update.

For those unaware, Windows 10 is supported until at least October 2025, and it will continue to receive features and improvements, including a fix for this particular issue highlighted above.

In related news, Microsoft is experimenting with a full-screen popup to convince users to try Windows 11 for free. The full-screen popup has four slides attempting to promote Windows 11’s new flagship features, such as the Start menu and redesigned notification center.

The post Windows 10 installation bug accidentally forces users to buy Microsoft 365 appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 4, 2023
  2. RejZoR Win User

Windows 10 and GFE forcing 353.62 install

Welcome to the Windows 10 driver hell I've talked about before Win10 got released. Forcing drivers down users throats is a VERY BAD idea. But I guess Microsoft just never learns freaking anything.

Only install driver the first time when WIndows is installed if they absolutely have to but then stop harassing the user with it. Damn MS.

RejZoR, Feb 4, 2023
  3. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Feb 4, 2023
  4. Windows 10 installation bug accidentally forces users to buy Microsoft 365

Windows 10 and GFE forcing 353.62 install

$
    Windows 10 Tweaks
    why complain about what you can tweak.

specially that post
    Windows 10 Tweaks

GreiverBlade, Feb 4, 2023
Thema:

Windows 10 installation bug accidentally forces users to buy Microsoft 365

1. Windows 10 installation bug accidentally forces users to buy Microsoft 365 - Similar Threads - installation bug accidentally

2. Microsoft trying to force me to buy 365.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft trying to force me to buy 365.: I purchased microsoft office pro and keep getting popups from microsoft trying to force me to buy 365. what has to be done to stop it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-trying-to-force-me-to-buy-365/9dcaaef3-ca70-482c-bbfb-a6bf7003c2bb
  3. Microsoft trying to force me to buy 365.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft trying to force me to buy 365.: I purchased microsoft office pro and keep getting popups from microsoft trying to force me to buy 365. what has to be done to stop it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-trying-to-force-me-to-buy-365/9dcaaef3-ca70-482c-bbfb-a6bf7003c2bb
  4. Microsoft trying to force me to buy 365.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft forcing people to buy new computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft forcing people to buy new computers: Can you tell me why a computer 2 years old won't run Win11? Is this typical Microsoft...force users to buy new computers when they can't afford to?...
  6. Microsoft forcing people to buy new computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft forcing people to buy new computers: Can you tell me why a computer 2 years old won't run Win11? Is this typical Microsoft...force users to buy new computers when they can't afford to?...
  7. Microsoft is fixing a Windows 10 bug that causes forced reboots

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is fixing a Windows 10 bug that causes forced reboots: Microsoft is finally fixing an annoying Windows 10 bug that causes a random reboot on some devices running the October 2020 Update. The tech giant has also removed the ‘compatibility hold’, which should allow more users to install the upcoming feature updates. In November...
  8. What is with Microsoft essentially trying to force people to buy windows 10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    What is with Microsoft essentially trying to force people to buy windows 10: placing arbitrary software requirements just to watch a movie I already own feels like you are just stole my money and are now holding my movie hostage until I upgrade from windows 7... Just give a digital copy to download... I bought the movie. So my question is two...
  9. Buying 365

Buying 365: I just want to buy Microsoft 365, however, there is not a State for Armed Forces Europe, nor does Microsoft DE allow me to purchase anything because my address doesn't exist on post. I need this ASAP, as I have 3 papers due in a week. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  10. Cannot buy Microsoft 365

Cannot buy Microsoft 365: Everytime I want to buy Microsoft 365, always pop error message below : Error Details Contact your subscription provider Cancel your existing subscription before starting a new one. PUR-ConversionBlockedSyndicated 4lvPCjiMDkGdC6jQ.18 2019/10/14 - 08:01:16 UTC I have...