Windows 10: Windows 10 installation clutter up my c: drive (SSD harddisk)

Discus and support Windows 10 installation clutter up my c: drive (SSD harddisk) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 for free. It was downloaded by Microsoft and installed without a glitch, but to my dismay my 120 Gb SSD harddisk (the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by oeivinr, Aug 23, 2015.

1. oeivinr Win User

Windows 10 installation clutter up my c: drive (SSD harddisk)

Hi,

I upgraded to Windows 10 for free. It was downloaded by Microsoft and installed without a glitch, but to my dismay my 120 Gb SSD harddisk (the c: drive) is getting filled up more quickly than I expected. I've noticed two folders on the c: drive that take up a lot of space, Windows.old (16 Gb) and RefreshImage (8Gb). I suspect, but don't know for certain,
    that Windows.old is the "old" 8.1 OS that used to run on my desktop before the upgrade, and RefreshImage is the recovery image left on the c: drive when I made a USB recovery drive for the 8.1 system, and which I did not delete.
    I also made a recovery drive for Windows 10, and the reason I think that this particular RefreshImage is from 8.1 is the date stamp on the folder which is long before I upgraded.

My question is: Can I safely delete these two folders. Windows.old an RefreshImage?

Edwin

:)

oeivinr, Aug 23, 2015
  2. hcsama Win User

Will my setup survive the Windows 10 upgrade

My setup consists of a SSD (CWindows 10 installation clutter up my c: drive (SSD harddisk) :) and two harddisks in RAID 1 (DWindows 10 installation clutter up my c: drive (SSD harddisk) :).

I have linked C:\Users to D:\Users using a hard link (MKLINK /H). This way all of the user related data is automatically stored on drive D: and does not fill up the SSD.

This normally never causes problems. However, how will the Windows 10 upgrade react to this? Can I upgrade or will it fail with this non standard setup? Will it destroy my structure?

hcsama, Aug 23, 2015
  3. mat004004 Win User
    How to activate Windows 10 licence? Is there a way to transfer the licence?

*Original Title: Windows 10 licens on new harddisk

Hey, i bought a new ssd harddisk for my computer. My plan was to perform a clean install on the ssd, so all the files and stuff would be deleted.

First thing i did was upgrading windows 7 to windows 10 on my old hdd. Then i downloaded Windows 10 as an iso file and burned it on a disk.

I placed both my harddisks in my laptop and installed some software i got with the ssd.

Then i took my old hdd out of the laptop and installed windows 10 home, which i had licens to on the old hdd, on the new ssd.

My laptop came with windows 7 preinstalled, so i do not have any produkt key.
    I thought that the licens was bounded to my motherboard, but on the new ssd it says that Windows is not activated.
    So my questien is: How can i get it activated? Is there a way to transfer the licens?
    Best regards Mathias

mat004004, Aug 23, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

BunnyJ, Aug 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 installation clutter up my c: drive (SSD harddisk) - Similar Threads - installation clutter drive

2. Windows cluttering my external SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cluttering my external SSD.: I have a 2TB external SSD which i use to share data between my different computers which also include Linux and MacOS based systems.But my Windows 10 system started horribly cluttering this Disk without me ever opting into any sort of data loss prevention.About 640GB of...
  3. Windows cluttering my external SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cluttering my external SSD.: I have a 2TB external SSD which i use to share data between my different computers which also include Linux and MacOS based systems.But my Windows 10 system started horribly cluttering this Disk without me ever opting into any sort of data loss prevention.About 640GB of...
  4. Windows cluttering my external SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. SSD C: drive filling up for no reason

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD C: drive filling up for no reason: I restarted my computer and had 30 gigs free, I then turned it off and and turned it on the next day, and it only had 8 gigs left. What is going on? I have ran disk cleanup, cleared temp folder, everything is updated, and am currently running a full scan with malwarebytes....
  6. SSD C:\ drive keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD C:\ drive keeps filling up: I'm running Windows 10 and my C drive will randomly fill up suddenly. It will go from having 30+ GB free to only 6-10. I'll use disk cleanup but find less than a GB available to delete. Yet a few days later it'll go back to having 30+ GB free again. I installed TreeSize and...
  7. Drive C SSD Fill up bot nothing is install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive C SSD Fill up bot nothing is install: I Buy new SSD 240GB and i got new Windows 10, and when I instal PUBG, and Formula 2020 i saw that my SSD is full of memory and this 2 games need like 70 to 80 GB. Nothing else is on SSD just 2 games and Windows and it say that i have 9GB free space left. Can you help plz?...
  8. My SSD (C drive) keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My SSD (C drive) keeps filling up: It seems after a bunch of messing around with install settings that things still want to download on my little 120gb SSD instead of the bigger HDD. It’s saying I have 1.72gb available at the moment but after installing something it will fill up completely but when I check to...
  9. move to new ssd harddisk

move to new ssd harddisk: hi there, i have installed and activated my win 10 os since last year in my conventional hard disk. now, i would like to move all my data to the new ssd sata hard disk. would you please show me the guidance how to perform it? thank you...
  10. Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive

Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive: I have an XPS 8910 with a 1TB HDD and would like to install a 256GB SSD which would act as a C bootup drive Can someone please explain how this is done? I have a macrium backup. Would I be able to restore W10 and my other programs to the SSD and leave the data on the...