Windows 10: Windows 10 Installation "fails" from USB

Discus and support Windows 10 Installation "fails" from USB in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I'm at my wits end with this. I've been trying to install Windows 10 on an old tower of mine that sat kinda dormant for a year. It's not too old,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jozlynPlaysEve, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Installation "fails" from USB

So I'm at my wits end with this.

I've been trying to install Windows 10 on an old tower of mine that sat kinda dormant for a year. It's not too old, but I'm completely baffled as to why it just refuses Windows 10.

Okay so, I've tried 4 different USB sticks: 2x 32GB sticks and 2x 16GB sticks, all have been repeatedly formatted to both FAT32 and NTFS (I lost count how many times I've tried installing Windows 10 on this PC). Media Creation Tool reports 0 errors and says it creates the media just fine every single time. But none of the drives will ever boot into UEFI mode, only Legacy.

When running setup on Legacy boot, the USB will run normally, allowing me to select the drive I want and then moving to the traditional installation steps. However, it instantly finishes the first step; "Copying files..." and works normally through the 2nd step. However, it instantly finishes both the "Installing Features" and "Installing Updates" steps, which I know is wrong and those steps usually take the longest. It will then clear the final step and begin the restart countdown.

Upon restarting, it will attempt to boot into the newly imaged drive (more on that later) by flashing the Windows 10 logo for about a second, black screen, then rebooting/POSTing. After doing this about 3 times, I'll get the BSOD with error code 0xc0000001.

I have done this countless times with various BIOS settings, various USB sticks, various HDDs/SSDs/an M.2, and I get the same exact result.

So either the latest Win10 ISO is broken, or I need to replace a component on the PC in question.

Here's the rundown on the specs:
    MB: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI
    CPU: Ryzen 5 (not familiar with exact model/speed, just know its a Ryzen 5 from a couple years ago, AM4 socket type)
    RAM: Corsair Vengance 2x 8GB DDR4
    GPU: AMD XFX RX 570
    PSU: EVGA 1000w Gold
    Current Storage: WD Black 500GB M.2 NVMe
    Other attempted HDDs/SSDs: 2x WD 1TB HDDs (both 7200RPM, 3.5in) & 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD 2.5in

BIOS Settings I have changed:
    -Cleared Secure Boot Keys, disabled Secure Boot
    -Have tried both Legacy and UEFI boot options (all of them I could configure) and only Legacy works on the USBs (but as stated before, actuall installation always "fails")
    -SATA Configuration is set to AHCI (but that doesn't matter now because only the M.2 SSD is slotted into the PC)

Other information:
    RAM passes memory checks and each DIMM slot status is displayed by the BIOS, with correct memory size (total of 16GB DDR4).
    When looking at PCIe slots in BIOS, it will only show up as "AMD GPU" in the x16 slot (probably due to no drivers being installed on the system but I could be wrong). When looking further at that specific slot, it has "Select Valid GPU" greyed out.
    I have tried every USB stick at least 3 times, formatting them in FAT32 and then NTFS; same result occurs. Not a single USB stick has been able to UEFI boot. Only Legacy.
    I have tried both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 slots. My MB has eight 3.0 slots and four 2.0 slots. All of the USB sticks are USB 3.0.

I just want to know if I need to replace something and what. Is the mobo just going bad? If anyone has any information or a solid answer, that'd be much appreciated. I planned on using this PC for cloud computing and running Streamlabs OBS.

submitted by /u/jozlynPlaysEve
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/jozlynPlaysEve, Nov 21, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Nov 21, 2020
  4. jds21 Win User

Windows 10 Installation "fails" from USB

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Installation "fails" from USB

1. Windows 10 Installation "fails" from USB - Similar Threads - Installation fails USB

2. Fresh Install from USB media failing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Install from USB media failing: My computer failed to boot into Windows following a regular shut down, and I decided to do a clean install of Windows.I made a new installation media on a USB drive, formatted both my hard drive and the SSD I use as my boot drive, and attempted to install windows. However, no...
  3. Windows 10 reset from USB fail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reset from USB fail: Hi! So, my issue is: I have tried resetting my PC from my removable pendrive and it failed. It didn't finish the configuration and a message that says "Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer" i've already...
  4. Windows 10 reset from USB fail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 reset from USB fail: Hi! So, my issue is: I have tried resetting my PC from my removable pendrive and it failed. It didn't finish the configuration and a message that says "Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer" i've already...
  5. Windows 10 reset from USB fail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Windows 10 failed uploading from USB

Windows 10 failed uploading from USB: Hi, I got the Windows 10 through my school. I downloaded it on a USB because I was waiting for a second hand PC. Now I got the second hand PC i tried to upload Windows 10 from the USB unto the computer but it fails at the end with the error code OOBEAADV10. I do have a key...
  7. Windows 10 installation from bootable usb failed

Windows 10 installation from bootable usb failed: Hi there! I have an old version of windows 10 installed on my desktop pc, and I've downloaded the new .iso update from microsoft website and successfully managed to install this new version of windows 10 on my laptop which was also running on an old version of windows 10,...
  8. Windows 10 USB is failing to install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 USB is failing to install: Hello I've just finished building a new pc but haven't been able to successfully install it via the USB i purchased on Amazon from Microsoft. When i get to the boot manager, i get the option for 32 or 64 bit. I use 64 bit so I choose that one. The "loading files" bar loads...
  9. Fresh USB Windows 10 Install - Failing

Fresh USB Windows 10 Install - Failing: I am trying to install a fresh copy reformatted the hard disk of windows 10 using a USB Created an installation media on a USB flash drive Win 10 pro from this page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Changed the boot order on the other PC so that...
  10. Windows 10 installation USB fails

Windows 10 installation USB fails: Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum and I hope in advance that you might be able to help me. I have recently added a new SSD and HDD to my old rig. I made a bootable USB with Windows 10 on it and when I try to install it, it all goes well. The problem occurs...