Windows 10: Windows 10 installation hangs/freezes at "Getting files ready for installation"

Discus and support Windows 10 installation hangs/freezes at "Getting files ready for installation" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am giving my old PC to my nephew and niece so we can play some Minecraft together :) I recently upgraded and the old PC only needed a new HD and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wfsm1th, Dec 16, 2018.

1. wfsm1th Win User

Windows 10 installation hangs/freezes at "Getting files ready for installation"

I am giving my old PC to my nephew and niece so we can play some Minecraft together Windows 10 installation hangs/freezes at "Getting files ready for installation" :) I recently upgraded and the old PC only needed a new HD and Monitor/keyboard/mouse. I bought as much and now the installation completely freezes/hangs right around the step where it says "Getting files ready for installation". Happens anywhere from 0% to 60%. A few times it has hung even before this step while partitioning/formatting the drive. I am using the Windows 10 installation media. I have done this at least 20 times now.

About me:

43 years old. I've been building PCs since I was 10 years old. I am not a genius but I do have experience installing Windows on PCs Windows 10 installation hangs/freezes at "Getting files ready for installation" :D

Things I have tried so far:

* three different USB drives with the Windows 10 installation media newly installed
    * four different USB ports (USB 3.0 front panel, USB 2.0 front panel, USB 3 and 2 back panel)
    * different versions of Windows 10 (Home, Pro, Home N) when creating installation media
    * two different physical drives (old platter and brand new SSD).
    * two different physical SATA cables
    * three different SATA ports (6gb/s 3 gb/s and this mobo has a 3rd controller evidently so I tried one of those as well)
    * flashing the BIOS to new version
    * resetting BIOS to default
    * manually adding drivers for SATA before installing
    * removing 1 memory DIMM, swapping DIMMs (there's 2 8GB dimms)
    * leaving it alone for 3ish hours

Setup:

Asus ROG Maxiums VIII w/ latest bios
    860 Evo 500 GB SSD and WD Caviar 2TB platter drive
    No video card installed yet
    Only keyboard and mouse installed

Like clockwork, the installation freezes at around the same time seemingly regardless of what I do. I am now preparing a Windows 8.1 USB to see if that makes a difference. If that fails, I fear I might just set the whole thing on fire!

:)

wfsm1th, Dec 16, 2018
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Dec 17, 2018
  3. wt_lesny Win User
    Windows Vista Wont Install Freezes?

had the same problem, freezes and long installation including each step loading, in my case a bios update helped.

wt_lesny, Dec 17, 2018
  4. r.h.p Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 installation hangs/freezes at "Getting files ready for installation" - Similar Threads - installation hangs freezes

2. Installing Windows 10 freezing at "Getting files ready for installation"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installing Windows 10 freezing at "Getting files ready for installation": I build my new pc last week, and had no problems installing windows, running games etc. After a few days it was starting to freeze after ~20 mins of use, which then got closer and closer to startup to the point it was freezing during the unlock screen. After extensive...
  3. Installing Windows 10 freezing at "Getting files ready for installation"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows 10 freezing at "Getting files ready for installation": I build my new pc last week, and had no problems installing windows, running games etc. After a few days it was starting to freeze after ~20 mins of use, which then got closer and closer to startup to the point it was freezing during the unlock screen. After extensive...
  4. Installing Windows 10 freezing at "Getting files ready for installation"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Getting Files Ready for Installation STUCK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting Files Ready for Installation STUCK: I just built a new computer and am trying to install Windows 10 on my M.2 SSD through the Installation Tool USB provided by Microsoft. However its been stuck on"Getting files ready for Installation 86%"For a few hours now. I have attempted to restart my computer during this...
  6. Getting Files Ready for Installation STUCK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting Files Ready for Installation STUCK: I just built a new computer and am trying to install Windows 10 on my M.2 SSD through the Installation Tool USB provided by Microsoft. However its been stuck on"Getting files ready for Installation 86%"For a few hours now. I have attempted to restart my computer during this...
  7. New PC installation of Windows 10 freezes on "getting files ready for installation"

New PC installation of Windows 10 freezes on "getting files ready for installation": I have built a brand new PC and everything is set up correctly, got to installing Windows 10 using the USB drive that the package came with. I get as far as the "Getting files ready for installation %" and I have gotten as far as 87% before it freezes. The installation...
  8. Stuck at "Getting files ready for installation"

Stuck at "Getting files ready for installation": My computer was bogging down, so i decided to do a freah install of windows 10. I made a proper bootable usb thats made for uefi with the media creation tool. It keeps getting stuck at about 89% even with a custom install and deleting all possible partitions. Ive tried to...
  9. Getting files ready for installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting files ready for installation: So recently my previous windows 10 file was corrupted so I needed a new iso file... in the progress of installing I've been stuck with Getting files ready for installation part for 2 hours.. is there any fix?...
  10. Windows 10 usb clean install freezing at "getting files ready..."

Windows 10 usb clean install freezing at "getting files ready...": I've been trying to get windows installed again on my laptop after I formatted the disk to start over. I created a usb installer using their special utility and ran it. I have also attempted to create the image using winUSB on my ubuntu partition with the exact same results....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. getting files read for installation freezez at 4%

2. windows 10 freeze getting files ready

3. getting files ready for installation freezing

4. windows install freezes at getting files ready for installation,
  5. windows setup freeze getting files ready for installation,
  6. windows 10 1903 update hangs up at 72 getting things ready,
  7. freezes on getting files ready for installation,
  8. windows 10 getting files ready for installaion stops at 72 %,
  9. windows 10 install freezes at getting files ready,
  10. windows 10 install freeze at 39% getting files ready,
  11. windows 10 getting files ready for installation,