Windows 10: Windows 10 Installation Has Failed Again and Again

Discus and support Windows 10 Installation Has Failed Again and Again in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have successfully converted 3 PCs at work from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro with no problems. I spent a lot of time on the PC I personally use,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Starry173, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Starry173 Win User

Windows 10 Installation Has Failed Again and Again

I have successfully converted 3 PCs at work from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro with no problems. I spent a lot of time on the PC I personally use, because I had to do a lot of prep work before I was ready...new versions of many different software applications. And I made the same changes at home, knowing I was going to convert that PC to Windows 10 Pro as well. The 3 at work that upgraded OK: a Dell XPS 8700 64-bit, Dell Optiplex 380 64-bit and a Lenovo Flex laptop. The XPS 8700 required the additional work, including upgrading to Nero 2016 Platinum.

So, I did the upgrade work at home in parallel with the work PC, like I said. The PC at home is a Dell Optiplex 990 64-bit. The PC at home has a bit of a history. It was upgraded to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. I was unable to upgrade to Windows 8.1 using the store upgrade path. It would go most of the way and then fail. And I was having trouble at that point because some of the 8.1 upgrade took and most did not. Using some tips from Windows Secrets and elsewhere, I created a Win 8.1 Setup flash drive and managed to successfully clean install Windows 8.1 Pro and recover my applications and data from an image backup I took.

So now, here I am again. All the software applications are Windows 10 compatible. Newer driver for my printer loaded from Dell that I determined would work for that same printer at work. I started with the upgrade tool, which is what I'd been using at work. It downloads and starts trying to process the upgrade and the little box appears telling me the installation has failed. I tried the GetWindows route via Windows Update and that failed as well. I don't remember the error number, but researching it didn't give me any information on what the problem really was. It did roll back successfully to Windows 8.1 each time I tried. I tried uninstalling some apps and disabling ESET Smart Security. I didn't uninstall it, but then, I didn't have to uninstall ESET at all at work and the upgrades went well. So I don't think ESET is the problem. There is something going on with that PC. In the past, I had done "BCDEDIT /set advancedoptions yes" to always have that menu come up that allows easy use of safe mode. I tried to undo that now and could not. Doing "BCDEDIT /deletevalue advancedoptions" errored out because the option wasn't set. If I set the option, rebooted, took off the option, rebooted, that had no effect on how the PC starts up. So maybe there is some corruption in the OS somewhere.

If I can't make this work, I guess I am looking at $199 to buy a Windows 10 Pro key and loading a Windows 10 setup from their ISO file from scratch. I wish I could make the upgrade work at least once. Then I could reload my PC from scratch whenever and be on Windows 10. I'm not interested in reloading Windows 8.1 from scratch just in order to get to Windows 10. And that could turn out to be a lot of work with the same results. At least if I load Windows 10 from scratch, I would have Windows 10...unless there is some deep-seated incompatibility inside of this PC somewhere that just doesn't like Windows 10. If that is the case, it will be staying on Windows 8.1, I guess.

:)

Starry173, Sep 27, 2015
  2. XLU
    xlu Win User

KB3097617 failed again and again

Thanks for the lead. I'm an engineer and like to solve everything myself first before asking for help. I had spent many hours searching for fixes online in the past 2 weeks before I posted this message here. I've tried this very method, manual install,
    no luck. I've tried to stop or remove antivirus, to use command prompt to stop the update related commands and rename the update folders and restart the update fresh, and many other things, nothing worked.

3. BRCjr Win User
    KB3097617 failed again and again

Hopefully the next build due to public in November will include this security update. I have seen posts of people that after being successful with this update having problems. Maybe a blessing in disguise. I see no record of this update on this machine
    but records only go back to install of latest preview build for desktop. 10/19/2015

BRCjr, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

It appears you have tried the media tool to do an upgrade _ Upgrade now
    And the GWX method of the Upgrade..

Have you created the win10 setup media ISO and tried the upgrade from the mounted ISO > setup.exe

5. Starry173 Win User
    No, that is the one thing I didn't try. That's right, if you use the burned disk (actually, I have one available I created at work), then it does still give you the option to do the equivalent of Upgrade Now. When I can revisit it again, I will try that. Thanks.

Starry173, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Installation Has Failed Again and Again - Similar Threads - Installation Has Failed

2. My windows 11 installation is failing again and again.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows 11 installation is failing again and again.: update : 2023-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5031354Install error - 0xc000a2a7Fixes i have tried : 1.Windows Update Troubleshooter did many times, it only says we have made some changes try doing again, but installation still fails 2....
  3. My windows 11 installation is failing again and again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 11 installation is failing again and again.: update : 2023-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5031354Install error - 0xc000a2a7Fixes i have tried : 1.Windows Update Troubleshooter did many times, it only says we have made some changes try doing again, but installation still fails 2....
  4. Win 10 - KB5003673 fails, again and again and again...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 - KB5003673 fails, again and again and again...: I get error 0x800f0922 when installing the KB5003673 w10 Pro 2004. This has happened dozens of times and each time I try a different suggested fix.This system was originally running 20H2 when a disk error forced me to do a clean install.The original partition table was:1...
  5. Microsoft Planning FAILS Again, and Again, and ...

Microsoft Planning FAILS Again, and Again, and ...: Since 2013, Microsoft has only degraded its OS and all MSOffice programs and functions. Why are sheeple still paying for this junkware? No one ever wanted this shetteh tab bar system that was forced into the used to be fabulous MS system. The Menu system was flawless. This...
  6. Windows Update failed to install... again

Windows Update failed to install... again: God knows how many thread i've made about this, it seems that the problem won't go away from my PC. Basically, everytime an update comes up, my Windows 10 will always fail to install the update. No matter what i do. I've tried both system and catalogue, none of them worked....
  7. Windows Update fails again - and again, and again, etc!!

Windows Update fails again - and again, and again, etc!!: My desktop is running Windows 10 Pro version 1709 build 16299.371. After many months and dozens of attempts, the Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1803 ALWAYS FAILS. In the process of failing it usually leaves the computer at least hung, and often unusable/unbootable....
  8. Windows updates fail to install - again!

Windows updates fail to install - again!: Hello. The latest Windows updates fail to install - again and again. Are they corrupted? Should I do anything to install them or just wait for Microsoft to release new fresh ones? Thank you....
  9. Win 10 upgrade fail again and again and again 0X80070017

Win 10 upgrade fail again and again and again 0X80070017: I have error code 0X80070017. The upgrade assistant said to contact support so here I am - I hope. I did think that Microsoft Support would have a online help, but there was only a series of topics, none with that error code. Can anyone please help. Or if not at least...
  10. Windows 10 fail - again

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 fail - again: Let me start by saying that I have been using the OS for nearly thirty years, always have multiple failures with each new OS. I have two identical PCs, same OS (7), same MB, Memory 3 gig or larger. I used the media tool to install over a legit Win 7. The first reboot nothing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 installation has failed