Windows 10: Windows 10 installation issue - the non-removable parasitic hard drive

Discus and support Windows 10 installation issue - the non-removable parasitic hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All! I built a new system. I used the official Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to create a windows installation drive on my removable SSD. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WindowGrinch, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Windows 10 installation issue - the non-removable parasitic hard drive

Hi All!

I built a new system. I used the official Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to create a windows installation drive on my removable SSD. I used that to install Windows 10 onto another internal HDD on my computer.

Everything went smoothly. I can use my system fine. I am offered to enter Windows or Setup at the start of each boot no matter what my boot disk order is set to. When I remove my SSD installation drive and leave the successful installation on my internal HDD to boot, because why wouldn't I, my computer says that there is no windows installed.

I reinstalled Windows to check and it placed the old Windows into a windows.old folder - so it does exist, it simply can't find it when I remove my SSD installation drive.

Why? I'm baffled. Any wisdom is gladly received *Smile

:)

WindowGrinch, Jan 28, 2019
  2. little cat, Jan 28, 2019
  3. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Jan 28, 2019
  4. W1zzard Win User

Windows 10 installation issue - the non-removable parasitic hard drive

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 installation issue - the non-removable parasitic hard drive

1. Windows 10 installation issue - the non-removable parasitic hard drive - Similar Threads - installation issue non

2. Non-existent virtual hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Non-existent virtual hard drive: Solidigm Synergy software is detecting and assuming a 8gb virtual hard drive as my system drive. This breaks the software as it wont be able to show details for the true physical disks as it was supposed to. I cannot fins any virtual hard drive in the disk manager. What is...
  3. Non-existent virtual hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Non-existent virtual hard drive: Solidigm Synergy software is detecting and assuming a 8gb virtual hard drive as my system drive. This breaks the software as it wont be able to show details for the true physical disks as it was supposed to. I cannot fins any virtual hard drive in the disk manager. What is...
  4. Non-existent virtual hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Remove hard drive

Remove hard drive: I have a laptop that Im giving away. The person Im giving it to had an SSD drive to install in it. Its Windows 10 If I remove the drive will my documents be able to be read an another laptop. ? Im aiming to use it as a storage drive. 173925
  6. non responding hard drive

non responding hard drive: Im in a bind and need help. I have a Lenovo Ideapad. I happened to look at it walking by and there was a notification as soon as I looked at it it closed but I did see that it said there was a problem with the hard drive and to restart to fix. Well, that sounded serious so I...
  7. Windows 10 hard drive issues?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hard drive issues?: So idk what I did. My computer has been sluggish lately so I thought I might try the old msconfig and disable some startup items. Well that didn’t work out to well needless to say. So I put it all back to normal. Fast forward 12 hours later I’m just sitting listening to...
  8. Windows 10 installation issue - the non-removable parasitic hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installation issue - the non-removable parasitic hard drive: Hi All! I built a new system. I used the official Media Creation Tool from Microsoft to create a windows installation drive on my removable SSD. I used that to install Windows 10 onto another internal HDD on my computer. Everything went smoothly. I can use my system fine. I...
  9. Need Non-Removable Drive to Show as Removable

Need Non-Removable Drive to Show as Removable: Windows 10 is showing one of my drives as non-removable/fixed. I need it to show as a removable drive. I don't mind making registry changes or whatever needs to be done. I've found information on going the other way (have removable drive show as non-removable/fixed),...
  10. Issues installing Windows 10 on new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issues installing Windows 10 on new hard drive: I purchased a new hard drive recently, to replace an older one that seemed to have stopped working. I had lost access to the windows 10 disc that originally came with my computer due to a move(I was not able to participate in packing my own things due to being in the...