Windows 10: Windows 10 Installation size on SSD partition

Discus and support Windows 10 Installation size on SSD partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 256GB SSD divided into 2 partitions. One is for Win 10. My Win 10 is in a 65GB partition but only uses 35GB at any one time. Can I shrink... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ncsercs, Feb 25, 2021.

1. ncsercs Win User

Windows 10 Installation size on SSD partition

I have a 256GB SSD divided into 2 partitions. One is for Win 10.

My Win 10 is in a 65GB partition but only uses 35GB at any one time.

Can I shrink that partition down and if so, by how much? Thanks!

:)

ncsercs, Feb 25, 2021
  2. Carsomyr Win User

Partition SSD during windows 10 install

I'm assembling a new PC and running a fresh windows 10 install. I'd like to know how to partition the ssd into 2 separate partitions during the windows install (I'm using a bootable usb drive to install Windows).

I want to know if I need to input specific settings for those partitions or if it's all automatic?

I need one partition for Windows on and another for my documents. The ssd has 960gb size.

So I'm guessing it has about 60gb over-provisionning. I could leave out a bit more, but it probably doesn't matter that much

Carsomyr, Feb 25, 2021
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Partition SSD during windows 10 install

Yep. Exactly this.

When you install Windows, and get to the part asking what drive you want to install to. Click the advanced options, select New, and put in the size you want the C partition to be. Leave the rest unallocated and select the new partition you just created to install to. Then once you are in Windows you can create the second partition and format it in disk management.

newtekie1, Feb 25, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Installation size on SSD partition

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Installation size on SSD partition

1. Windows 10 Installation size on SSD partition - Similar Threads - Installation size SSD

2. Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...: Is manually partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to manually partition a SSD at all? Or should I just let windows automatically partition only the ones that are needed?...
  3. Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...: Is manually partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to manually partition a SSD at all? Or should I just let windows automatically partition only the ones that are needed?...
  4. Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...: Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD at all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-partitioning-a-ssd-of-237gb-size-worth-it-is/fd6ca1da-6946-4235-b233-1e34fe20ba0d
  5. Partition SSD Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition SSD Windows 10: I really need assistance. I bought an HP Pavillon bootable on Windows 10 Home, but I had lost administrator password. So I have decided to "clean all" the disk SSD in which Windows 10 Home was installed. The fact is that now the disk do not appear in CMD when I "list disk"...
  6. Partition SSD Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition SSD Windows 10: I really need assistance. I bought an HP Pavillon bootable on Windows 10 Home, but I had lost administrator password. So I have decided to "clean all" the disk SSD in which Windows 10 Home was installed. The fact is that now the disk do not appear in CMD when I "list disk"...
  7. Windows uefi mode ssd wrong size of recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows uefi mode ssd wrong size of recovery partition: When i clean install 20h2 windows in a 256 gb ssd it creates auto a recovery partition of 500 mb (with the number 4 as the foto). If you disable it (reagentc /disable) and then enable it again, the windows put the recovery in windows C partition because windows find that the...
  8. Windows 10 won't install to my SSD's partition.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't install to my SSD's partition.: Hey all, I'm real inexperienced with tech stuff but I'm trying to install Windows 10 on my PC's new internal drive (using USB installation media) and ran into a snag. I've formatted the drive (a Samsung 860 EVO) for GPT and NTFS, but when I click the primary partition in...
  9. Recommended size of partition for win 10 Home on 500gb ssd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recommended size of partition for win 10 Home on 500gb ssd?: What is the Recommended size of partition for win 10 Home on 500gb ssd? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recommended-size-of-partition-for-win-10-home-on/2811a53b-58c6-4ecc-9533-ae908043105c
  10. Expanding SSD Partition Size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Expanding SSD Partition Size: I have a Samsung 850 EVO 500g SSD that was originally made to house two partitions, C: and D:. I've migrated all my files from D: to another drive and have unallocated the D: drive. But now I'm having trouble allocating all the space now recovered from D: to the C:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 partition size