Windows 10: Windows 10 installations bumping Desktop shortcuts down, rather than adding from the end

Discus and support Windows 10 installations bumping Desktop shortcuts down, rather than adding from the end in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Not really sure how to explain this, or if it's established already, or what, but as a newbie to Win 10 I've found that most (but not all, oddly!) of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Rancid_Tomato, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Windows 10 installations bumping Desktop shortcuts down, rather than adding from the end

Not really sure how to explain this, or if it's established already, or what, but as a newbie to Win 10 I've found that most (but not all, oddly!) of the time, when I install games or programs, the Desktop shortcut icon for each will bump DOWN all the other icons I have in place ('This PC', etc). In the past those new icons would be added at the END of all the rows (or in blank spaces); can anybody help me out on this, or if it's even normal behavior? Seems odd to me it'd do this.

submitted by /u/Rancid_Tomato
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Rancid_Tomato, Feb 17, 2020
  2. Frick Win User

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Adding shortcut to desktop from web page

Hi,

Please let us know, which browser are you using to do so?

Follow the steps below to create shortcuts of websites on the Desktop:

• When you are viewing a website, right click on the web page and select the Create Shortcut option. The shortcut will be placed on the Desktop.
    • You can also right click the Desktop and select New/Shortcut. In the Location Box, paste the URL to the website.
    • Click Next and Name the shortcut and Click Finish.
    • You can also drag the Icon at the left end of the Address Bar and drop it on the Desktop, when viewing a website to create a shortcut.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Feb 17, 2020
  4. Windows 10 installations bumping Desktop shortcuts down, rather than adding from the end

Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 installations bumping Desktop shortcuts down, rather than adding from the end

1. Windows 10 installations bumping Desktop shortcuts down, rather than adding from the end - Similar Threads - installations bumping Desktop

2. Allow installation of certain apps rather than all

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Allow installation of certain apps rather than all: We have company policies that prevent user from installing applications unless they are a local admin. We have a few cases in which applications update regularly and the user cannot install those updates.Rather than giving them local admin access we are looking at using...
  3. adding shortcut icons to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    adding shortcut icons to desktop: How do I add my favorite icons to desktop? I just installed a windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-shortcut-icons-to-desktop/026cc788-7fe5-4b5d-ad68-083807619f82
  4. adding shortcut icons to desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    adding shortcut icons to desktop: How do I add my favorite icons to desktop? I just installed a windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-shortcut-icons-to-desktop/026cc788-7fe5-4b5d-ad68-083807619f82
  5. ADDING SHORTCUTS TO DESKTOP?

in Windows 10 Customization
    ADDING SHORTCUTS TO DESKTOP?: How can I add shortcut icons to the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-shortcuts-to-desktop/b301b867-44bf-4359-be5e-f8d71848b834
  6. To remove auto added "New Edge" shortcut from desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    To remove auto added "New Edge" shortcut from desktop: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/xgizmobratx [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hlps6b/to_remove_auto_added_new_edge_shortcut_from/
  7. Adding a shortcut to my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding a shortcut to my desktop: I want to add a shortcut icon to my desktop to access the website pandora.com https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-shortcut-to-my-desktop/b9421c36-2e19-4483-b727-85c5e8feb628
  8. Windows 10 reinstall. Windows 10 home installed rather than windows 10 pro.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 reinstall. Windows 10 home installed rather than windows 10 pro.: Hi, earlier today I decided to do a fresh install of windows 10 pro. I upgraded to windows 10 pro through the store earlier in the year. I have reinstalled windows on the same laptop but after install it has a windows 10 home license instead of pro. Is there a way to fix...
  9. Word Documenent Going to Documents Folder Rather Than Desktop ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Word Documenent Going to Documents Folder Rather Than Desktop ?: Hello, Always something new, I guess. I create a simple document in Word. Tell Windows10 to put it on the desktop. But, lately, it seems to always throw it into the Documents Folder instead. Why ? How can i get it to put it where I select, and want, the...
  10. Desktop Showing Live Tiles Rather Than Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Showing Live Tiles Rather Than Desktop Icons: For some reason all of a sudden my computer is showing the Windows "Live Tiles" rather than the desktop icons that had been showing. How do I get things back to the way it was? 61443