Windows 10: Windows 10 Installed on 164 Million PCs

Discus and support Windows 10 Installed on 164 Million PCs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Just where does it say.. monitoring users in that image?? The word Active suggests it., or how would they know? Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Sumit Dhiman, Jan 3, 2016.

1. dencal Win User

Windows 10 Installed on 164 Million PCs

The word Active suggests it., or how would they know?

dencal, Jan 6, 2016
  2. Fafhrd Win User

Telemetry could be counting successfully installed Windows updates - which seem to go on at several different levels - Defender, OneDrive, Store Apps, Windows Updates, and Microsoft Updates for installed applications such as Office.

Altogether, this could give quite a full picture of the state of the Windows 10 user base, across a range of devices, including multiple installations on single devices, VMs included.

At this stage of Windows 10, I'd imagine very few home users would forgo Windows Updates for the sake of paranoia re. snooping, or balancing the threat of new exploits against the potential of missing novel improvements.

Fafhrd, Jan 6, 2016
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    No.. it doesn't. Not in the least way does it suggest anything. They can and likely know how many via the activation process and they don't have to monitor past that point.

BunnyJ, Jan 6, 2016
  4. gator2013 Win User

Had Windows 10 not been FREE, how many would be using it? Debating the statistics, desirability and success rate for something that has been given away doesn't mean much.

gator2013, Jan 6, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Just because it's apparently "free", just like broadcast Media channels bearing advertising, makes it very important to the bean counters who monetarise every aspect of your life today.

Fafhrd, Jan 6, 2016
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I for one would be using it.

BunnyJ, Jan 6, 2016
  7. dencal Win User
    *Ditto*Ditto

dencal, Jan 6, 2016
  8. dencal Win User

On this side of the water Active means Live.

Further confirmation on previously posted thread....M$ collecting data
    Microsoft spying: Windows 10 user data appears in new blog post | BGR

dencal, Jan 6, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Dencal the only problem is that alot of people do not let Microsoft know what they are doing. Along with in my case. My test unit may only be up for say 20 minutes every two weeks, when I am trying to match a user problem to what I can find on my end.

Sounds to me that Microsoft is fudging their numbers, since I am still seeing a lot of posts of people wanting to stick with 7 and not be forced to upgrade to 10.

bro67, Jan 6, 2016
  10. dencal Win User
    The only way you can avoid M$ knowing what you are doing is to go off line.

Metadata is used to identify a myriad of things.

Metadata assists in resource discovery by "allowing resources to be found by relevant criteria, identifying resources, bringing similar resources together, distinguishing dissimilar resources, and giving location information."

dencal, Jan 6, 2016
  11. gator2013 Win User
    From an advertising standpoint I agree with you.

gator2013, Jan 6, 2016
  12. gator2013 Win User
    You would have paid the suggested MSRP, what is it? $119.00 for W-10 Home?

If so, I have some land I would like to sell you.*Wink

gator2013, Jan 6, 2016
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Yes, I would of paid and I paid for 7/8 as well.

BunnyJ, Jan 6, 2016
  14. BunnyJ New Member
    BunnyJ, Jan 6, 2016
  15. dencal Win User
    Then how about straight from the horses mouth!!!!!

dencal, Jan 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Installed on 164 Million PCs - Similar Threads - Installed 164 Million

2. Canalys Research: at least 240 million Windows 10 PCs can't be upgraded

in Windows 10 News
    Canalys Research: at least 240 million Windows 10 PCs can't be upgraded: Windows 10, the most used desktop operating system, runs out of support in October 2025. Estimates see it installed on a billion devices. A report by Canalys Research claims that at least 240 million of devices that run Windows 10 can't be upgraded to Windows 11 or future...
  3. Microsoft Hijacks Necurs Botnet that Infected 9 Million PCs Worldwide

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Hijacks Necurs Botnet that Infected 9 Million PCs Worldwide: Microsoft today announced that it has successfully disrupted the botnet network of the Necurs malware, which has infected more than 9 million computers globally, and also hijacked the majority of its infrastructure. The latest botnet takedown was the result of a coordinated...
  4. Millions of PCs Running October Update Haven’t Received Critical Fixes

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Millions of PCs Running October Update Haven’t Received Critical Fixes: "Microsoft has spent that last month frantically fixing bugs in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update. But, if you’re one of the millions of people who installed the update when it was available, you haven’t actually been getting those bug-fix updates! Windows 10’s October 2018...
  5. Millions of PCs Running October Update Haven’t Received Critical Fixes

in Windows 10 Support
    Millions of PCs Running October Update Haven’t Received Critical Fixes: "Microsoft has spent that last month frantically fixing bugs in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update. But, if you’re one of the millions of people who installed the update when it was available, you haven’t actually been getting those bug-fix updates! Windows 10’s October 2018...
  6. As 2015 comes to a close, Windows 10 surpasses 200 million installs

in Windows 10 News
    As 2015 comes to a close, Windows 10 surpasses 200 million installs: Microsoft announced back in October that Windows 10 had surpassed 110 million installations worldwide, which for October was an impressive achievement. But that was over 3 months ago, and since 2015 is coming to a close, we thought now was probably a good time to check in on...
  7. 600 Millions PCs Waiting for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    600 Millions PCs Waiting for Windows 10: Windows 10 is still in development at Microsoft, but Redmond’s partners claim that interest in new PCs has increased lately, especially after the software giant released the very first Windows 10 Technical Preview for testers. What’s more, millions of PCs are waiting right...
  8. Windows 10 reportedly passes 100 million installations milestone

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 reportedly passes 100 million installations milestone: According to Petri.com, Windows 10 is off to a pretty fast start. Apparently, although it’s only been officially available for just under two months, Windows 10 has been installed on over 100 million machines–meaning that it’s well on its way toward Microsoft’s goal of one...
  9. After 53 million installs, Windows 10 takes 4.95% of the market

in Windows 10 News
    After 53 million installs, Windows 10 takes 4.95% of the market: It has been a little bit less than three weeks since Microsoft released Windows 10 for consumers around the world. The OS, which is receiving positive reviews from across the web, is being adopted quickly despite there being a few teething issues upfront. According to our...
  10. Windows 10 is said to be running on 67 million PCs already

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 is said to be running on 67 million PCs already: We already knew Windows 10 was going to be popular. So much so that Microsoft reportedly purchased as much as 40 Tbps of bandwidth from content delivery networks (CDNs). The company was already hitting 10Tbps on July 28, when the update was only available to Insiders. Now, it...