Windows 10: Windows 10 installed on old HDD and new SSD, willl it cause problems ?

Discus and support Windows 10 installed on old HDD and new SSD, willl it cause problems ? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have recently bought a Samsung 250G SSD and installed windows on it and still have my old harddrive, it was kind of in a spur of the moment thing and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Experience, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Windows 10 installed on old HDD and new SSD, willl it cause problems ?

I have recently bought a Samsung 250G SSD and installed windows on it and still have my old harddrive, it was kind of in a spur of the moment thing and I did not export some settings from certain applications dont have conf files that I can copyto the new SSD and require me to login to Windows and open the application to get to the export settings option. so my question is..

What happens when insert my old HHD and boot into windows ? should I do it with my modem and wifi off ?
    Is it possible to keep both OS's on SSD and HDD working with no problem ?

My fear is that I log into my old HDD and it deactivates my new Windows install on the SSD and says its pirated or illegal version or worse, locks me out.

I have Windows 10 Pro and its activation is linked to my Microsoft account.

:)

Experience, Feb 7, 2017
  2. Jan_944 Win User

Windows 10 - Installation after change from HDD to SSD

Hello,

I want to change my old HDD with Upgrade-Windows 10 to a new SSD with a clean installed Windows 10. Do I have to deactivate the OS in the old HDD before installing it at the new SSD?

Otherwise Microsoft could think that I have one Licence for two PCs, or?

Another question:

Will my old Windows 7-Key work with the new Windows 10-install?

Greetings!

Jan_944, Feb 7, 2017
  3. Boot Win10 as external Hard Drive

Hi, I've bought a new SSD for replacing my old HDD. In the Old HDD I've Debian and Win10 with dual boot.

In the new SSD I don't want to install Win10, I want to use it via USB; speed isn't an issue to me. I wont be using so much...

When I plug the old HDD via USB, as an external drive, I can boot from it, but Windows fails to start with "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" or something of sort. Debian boots Ok. If I install the HDD in the laptop instead of the SSD it boots Ok.

Is there a way of me making my old HDD to start Windows 10 as and external hard drive?

jcbastosportela, Feb 7, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 installed on old HDD and new SSD, willl it cause problems ?

You won't have any issues with activation since it is the same computer. It does violate the EULA to have 2 copies of Windows installed with only 1 license (product key), though. Having only 1 of the drives connected at a time would not violate the EULA.

I've played round robin with HDDs and SSDs around various computers before and as long as that computer had a digital license for that version of Windows 10 stored on MS activation servers, there was never an issue with activation.

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2017
Thema:

Windows 10 installed on old HDD and new SSD, willl it cause problems ?

1. Windows 10 installed on old HDD and new SSD, willl it cause problems ? - Similar Threads - installed old HDD

2. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable: I installed a new Windows 10 OS on a new SSD without any issues. After I finished checking the new Windows 10 installation I noticed that the boot screen now shows 2 Windows 10 to boot into. The one that goes to the new Windows 10 OS started with no problem, but the one that...
  3. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable: I installed a new Windows 10 OS on a new SSD without any issues. After I finished checking the new Windows 10 installation I noticed that the boot screen now shows 2 Windows 10 to boot into. The one that goes to the new Windows 10 OS started with no problem, but the one that...
  4. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  6. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  7. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Old HDD Windows Key to new SSD.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Old HDD Windows Key to new SSD.: Hello. I just recently had to install a inactivated windows after unplugging my hard drive and leaving my ssd. I had to do this because my computer was being insanely slow and clearly had several problems. This helped a lot because it basically just wiped my computer....
  9. Windows 10 Installation to new SSD while keeping old HDD

Windows 10 Installation to new SSD while keeping old HDD: Installed a new SSD, so my PC now has two drives. Have been running Windows 10 on the old HDD. I want to install Windows 10 on the new SSD. Using the Windows ISO DVD I made there is no choice where to install WIndows 10. I am not sure how to remove Windows 10 from the old HDD...
  10. Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD

Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD: My situation is this: I have now Windows 7 in my HDD, and I just bought a new SSD to install Windows 10 in. Also bought a new Windows 7 license (old one is pirated *Rolleyes). I'm going to install Win7, then upgrade to Windows 10 and do clean install. The question is, will I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. old ssd causging problwems

2. will old HDD cause problems with new SSD