Windows 10: Windows 10 installs as Home on an 8.1 Pro machine. How to fix?????

Discus and support Windows 10 installs as Home on an 8.1 Pro machine. How to fix????? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop was running 8.1 Pro. Did all the normal stuff to reserve 10, etc. It showed up in Windows Updates on the 29th, so I installed it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jeff Stewart, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Windows 10 installs as Home on an 8.1 Pro machine. How to fix?????

My laptop was running 8.1 Pro. Did all the normal stuff to reserve 10, etc. It showed up in Windows Updates on the 29th, so I installed it. Installation went fine, except Windows 10 came up as the Home edition, not Pro!!!!!!

Any idea if I can fix it?

I talked to someone at Microsoft, and they told me that "Pro would eventually show up as an update." Unfortunately, I don't believe them.

This machine had originally been Windows 8 Home, but I upgraded it to Pro, then 8.1, so maybe that was part of the problem.

I have an MSDN account, and I tried using an installation disk from there but they only offer "Multiple Edition" disks that apparently auto-detect the running edition and only allow installing that same edition again.

Kinda frustrating....

BTW, I also saw that a "Pro Pack" will be available at some point for 99 bucks, but even that isn't apparently available yet.

:)

Jeff Stewart, Aug 2, 2015
  2. Cpt_Brik Win User

Windows 10 Home upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

I'm a long time Windows 7 Pro user but very recently bought a new machine with Windows 8.1 Home edition on it with little intention of using the machine much until upgrading to Windows 10 so I'm not used to Windows 8.1 at all.

I got my upgrade to windows 10 but wanted to upgrade the installation to Windows 10 pro expecting there to be a "Pro Pack" like as is available for Windows 8.1, but there isn't a pro pack or Windows 10 equivalent and after asking Microsoft they couldn't
    give me any info as to when they might release one either.

My Question is if I revert my machine back to Windows 8.1 (Home), Purchase and install the Windows 8.1 Pro Pack will I then be able to get another free upgrade to Windows 10 pro even thought this machine has already received an upgrade to windows 10 home?

And is this really the only way to do this without buying a full edition of Windows 10 pro at the full price?

Cpt_Brik, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Reinstalled Windows 10 - lost Pro upgrade from 8.1 Pro Pack

I purchased a Windows 8.1 Pro Pack upgrade in 2014 from Amazon to upgrade my Windows 8.1 Home machine to Windows Pro. I changed the key and the OS was upgrade from 8.1 Home to 8.1 Pro without a problem. I then upgraded to Windows 10 last year and it successfully
    upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

Due to some driver issues, I was forced to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch on my PC, which I did from an ISO downloaded from Microsoft. I didn't enter a product key and it was automatically activated. The problem is that I no longer have Windows 10 Pro
    but Windows 10 Home. I tried entering in my Windows 8.1 Pro key from my Amazon software library, and it says that it is the wrong version.

According to the Windows 10 upgrade matrix, a Windows 8.1 Pro machine can be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. How do I get this to work? I don't want to reinstall Windows 8.1 on my machine. Wasn't the license upgraded behind the scenes?

northerntao, Aug 2, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 installs as Home on an 8.1 Pro machine. How to fix?????

Go back to Windows 8.1 Pro. Use the Windows Media Creation Tool to download the Windows 10 Pro upgrade and try that:
    Windows 10

I now have a bootable USB flash drive that will boot and upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, both 32bit and 64bit, and I also extracted the Windows 10 Home versions 32bit and 64bit ISOs to it that will upgrade to Windows 10 Home, just not if I boot the computer with it.

NavyLCDR, Aug 2, 2015
  5. My laptop came with Windows 8.0 Core. I was running 8.1 Pro (MSDN key), and got 10 Pro via the free upgrade. You can download the Pro only ISO, here, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 This is where I did my free upgrade, I used the upgrade this PC now option. As mentioned, clean installing 8.1 Pro and then upgrading should get you 10 Pro.

alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Stupid thing says "The files we need to take you back to a previous version of Windows were removed from this PC." I didn't do it, so where did they go????? I had such high hopes for Microsoft, now it's beginning to look like another typical cluster....

Jeff Stewart, Aug 2, 2015
  7. Did you run disk cleanup, clean up system files? If you need install media for Windows 8.1 you can get it here. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media

alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2015
  8. Windows 10 installs as Home on an 8.1 Pro machine. How to fix?????

Pro Pack is available now, so I just bought it. Fortunately it's a business expense, but the whole thing is pretty annoying.

Jeff Stewart, Aug 3, 2015
  9. P.S. No, I hadn't run disk cleanup or cleaned up andy system files...

Jeff Stewart, Aug 3, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    This has happened to several other people as well. They were running short of disk space so Windows 10 helpfully deleted some unneeded files, including C:\Windows.old.

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  11. Interesting, except I had plenty of space (180G free).

Jeff Stewart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 installs as Home on an 8.1 Pro machine. How to fix?????

1. Windows 10 installs as Home on an 8.1 Pro machine. How to fix????? - Similar Threads - installs Home Pro

2. activating a second installation of windows on one machine with different widows 10 home/pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    activating a second installation of windows on one machine with different widows 10 home/pro: hi i have a laptop with windows home pre install and activated i installed windows 10 pro on a different drive and every thing is ok i can dual boot no problemwhen i try to activate the pro i got we can't activate windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital...
  3. Install Windows 10 Pro on Windows 10 Home machine nonprofit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 Pro on Windows 10 Home machine nonprofit: Hello, I work for a small non-profit 501c3 community television station. We purchased a volume license key for Windows 10 Pro, and have been trying to upgrade some laptops we purchased last year with Windows 10 Pro. They currently have Windows 10 Home. I have downloaded...
  4. Two Windows 10 Pro machines downgraded themselves to Home.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two Windows 10 Pro machines downgraded themselves to Home.: On my recent new build I successfully installed Windows 10 Pro. Today I noticed that windows seems to have downgraded itself from Pro to Home. I checked my Microsoft account and there it shows the version as Home as well. I checked the other PC in our household that was Pro...
  5. Installing windows 10 Pro on a windows 7 Pro Machine

Installing windows 10 Pro on a windows 7 Pro Machine: I am trying to upgrade to windows 10 Pro, Every time I try to install it gets to the end and errors out and I get the following: 0x800707E7 0x3000D First Boot Phase error during migrate data...
  6. Apply Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade on Replacement Machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Apply Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade on Replacement Machine: Hi, Our CEO's Surface Pro was replaced under warranty. The original surface was licensed with Windows 10 Home, which we upgraded to Windows 10 Pro via Settings->System->About->Change product key or upgrade your edition of Windows. Prior to shipping the system for replacement,...
  7. Installing windows 10 on a windows 8 machine after reset

Installing windows 10 on a windows 8 machine after reset: I have a Sony Vaio machine (6 years old) that was becoming very unstable. So I did a Reset on the machine which worked fine. However, the only option I had was to install the included image which unfortunately was a windows 8 image. The machine was running windows 10 prior...
  8. Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead...

Win10 Pro machine decided to install Home instead...: My Dell XPS 8920 came with Windows 10 Home installed. After a few months, I purchased a W10 Pro license for the machine, and have clean installed Windows several times in the year since. Today, after installing two additional memory modules, and re-flashing the bios to the...
  9. How to install 10 without installing 7 (OEM), then 8 pro, then 10?

How to install 10 without installing 7 (OEM), then 8 pro, then 10?: I have a mac and use bootcamp for windows. How do I install windows 10 without first installing an OEM/system builders version of windows 7 home (OEM disk), then upgrading it to windows 8 pro (via an upgrade disk), and then installing windows 10? I need to install 8...
  10. Build 10240 installed pro not home how to fix

Build 10240 installed pro not home how to fix: hi I upgraded my laptop from 8 core to 8.1 to build 10166 pro to 10240 pro but do I need to get iso for 10240 core or re install 8.1 core and windows update build 10240 core. Easiest way please. 8308