Windows 10: Windows 10 intermittent lag

Discus and support Windows 10 intermittent lag in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and overall I'm very happy with it. The upgrade was very seamless and the computer seems to be running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by johnstac, Jul 1, 2018.

1. johnstac Win User

Windows 10 intermittent lag

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and overall I'm very happy with it. The upgrade was very seamless and the computer seems to be running faster overall. There is one exception though. I have noticed that after startup and for HOURS afterwards, programs are extremely slow. The biggest problem is Excel which I use throughout the day. It opens fine but when I just try to click from cell to cell, it takes so long to respond! For some reason though, if I take my mouse cursor and quickly move it across the other two monitors and back, it completes the move from the one cell to the other. The same with typing. If I type in a cell, the numbers don't show up but if I move my cursor away and back, it completes. This behavior seems to be limited to programs because Chrome seems to work just fine. Yesterday, in desperation I went through task manager and disabled anything I could to see if it would help. It did not. It doesn't appear to be a resource problem because the CPU is at 1% or less and memory used was at most, 20%. I even tried giving Excel higher priority and that did nothing either. So I got to wondering if maybe because I was using Office 2010 that maybe I needed to upgrade. I went and laid down $150 for the 2016 version, brought it home and went to install it and..........my Excel 2010 version was working fine! I hadn't touched it at all! It doesn't appear to matter which Excel file I have open either. Even a blank document does the same thing. Microsoft Word doesn't seem to be affected though. I can type just fine in a blank document. I open CC Cleaner though and it responds very slow. Some programs run fine, others not. I opened iTunes and it required an update. I agreed to do the update and it would lag while the green bar filled. I had to move my mouse cursor again in order for it to keep updating. So weird. I even tried updating bios on video card, motherboard, etc. No difference.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated here. Thanks.

Edit: Just wanted to add one more description of the behavior. I was in Excel trying to get to options to attempt to disable hardware acceleration (hey, I'm desperate to try anything). When I click on, "Options" the outline of the window would come up but not the contents. I tried grabbing the top of the window and dragging it and it left a trail of windows behind. Kind of like what happens when there is a memory issue. I just wanted to point that out as another example of what we are talking about here.

Other changes I tried:

1. Turning off "Hey Cortana"

:)

johnstac, Jul 1, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 1, 2018
  3. Jose Est Win User
    Random lag spikes

Hi,

We would like to know more about your lag issue:

• What browser are you using when you experience a lag?
    • Does the lag occur in a particular game?

In the meantime, we suggest you run the System Maintenance troubleshooter. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on System Maintenance to run the troubleshooter.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jul 1, 2018
  4. Windows 10 intermittent lag

Windows 10: Wireless logitech keyboard and mouse lags intermittently suddenly.

I have a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard, and suffer lag on both, but it's much more noticeable on the mouse. During much trying of all the many things suggested to fix the mouse lag problem, and nothing working, I worked out that my mouse was identified
    on my PC as 'HID'. When I clicked on mouse properties, then drivers for mouse, there were two drivers shown as installed. The one highlighted was 'class system', not the 'HID system' one, so I highlighted the HID. Mouse seems to work fine now. Don't know if
    it has fixed the keyboard lag yet, as that was far more intermittent than the mouse lag - time will tell.

katiehiggins, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 intermittent lag

1. Windows 10 intermittent lag - Similar Threads - intermittent lag

2. intermittent lag on left click on icon to open programme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    intermittent lag on left click on icon to open programme: Hello, I've had this almost from installation of Win 11. Usually, left click works fine, but sometimes nothing happens for a while, then, if you've clicked more than once, there is a rush of multiple windows opening. I've run sfc/ scannow, I've done all the suggested things...
  3. intermittent lag on left click on icon to open programme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    intermittent lag on left click on icon to open programme: Hello, I've had this almost from installation of Win 11. Usually, left click works fine, but sometimes nothing happens for a while, then, if you've clicked more than once, there is a rush of multiple windows opening. I've run sfc/ scannow, I've done all the suggested things...
  4. Intermittent lag spikes over Wi-Fi

Intermittent lag spikes over Wi-Fi: HiUp until 3 days ago my connection over my Wi-Fi network was perfectly stable, but then started randomly experiencing severe latency spikes. I tried contacting the Wi-Fi company's support but they weren't any help, are there any suggestions?I am running Windows 10 on a...
  5. Intermittent lag spikes over Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Intermittent lag spikes over Wi-Fi: HiUp until 3 days ago my connection over my Wi-Fi network was perfectly stable, but then started randomly experiencing severe latency spikes. I tried contacting the Wi-Fi company's support but they weren't any help, are there any suggestions?I am running Windows 10 on a...
  6. Intermittent lag spikes over Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Can you help resolve the intermittent lag on my PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you help resolve the intermittent lag on my PC?: I am having major lagging issues with my PC. The issue only occurs when I am playing video games. I get small lag spikes that last for about 2-3 seconds. It happens about every minute or so. I tested my Internet speed and have very good results. I have reset both my modem and...
  8. Can you help resolve the intermittent lag on my PC?

Can you help resolve the intermittent lag on my PC?: I am having major lagging issues with my PC. The issue only occurs when I am playing video games. I get small lag spikes that last for about 2-3 seconds. It happens about every minute or so. I tested my Internet speed and have very good results. I have reset both my modem and...
  9. Intermittent UI lag - Windows 10 21H1

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent UI lag - Windows 10 21H1: Hello all, I'm a long time ex-corporate IT professional since 1999. I've built over hundreds of machines for friends, family and I've lost count how many I have built / diagnosed / fixed in the office. :) Now that the pleasantries are out of the way... My current rig that I...
  10. Browser scrolling intermittent lagging /high CPU use

in Browsers and Email
    Browser scrolling intermittent lagging /high CPU use: Hi folks, Following annoying problem: On my Lenovo Thinkpad T420, 12GB Ram, Intel Core I5 2520m CPU, Intel HD3000 IGPU running Windows 10 20H2, sometimes scrolling in the browser (Brave Browser) becomes laggy and very CPU intensive. Like 100% instead of 5-10% even on old...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. intermittent lag on windows 10 pro

2. intermittent mouse cursor lag Windows 1903

3. windows lagging intermittently

4. windows 10 1903 video intermittent lag,
  5. windows 10 intermittent windows explorer lag