Windows 10: Windows 10 Internet Speed Degradation

Discus and support Windows 10 Internet Speed Degradation in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; One of the PCs on my home network is a Windows 10 Home on an HP laptop Intel Core i5 with 8GB of memory. I have an internet connection of 1Gbps up and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JasonThibeault1, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Internet Speed Degradation

One of the PCs on my home network is a Windows 10 Home on an HP laptop Intel Core i5 with 8GB of memory. I have an internet connection of 1Gbps up and down.

I have noticed, when using Ookla Speedtest on the PC native app, not browser, that the Internet speed is GROSSLY less than other PCs and connected devices on my network. It consistently shows 20Mbps or less speed while other devices show 10x more. For example, an iPhone also running the native Ookla Speedtest app shows 250Mbps. Note: the speeds will be on the slower side as all my network traffic runs through a firewall.

But I have also seen the speed on the Windows 10 PC in question drop during the test. In fact, I've seen in drop from 20Mbps to 0 and stay there. I have been monitoring the PC for a while and I can't figure out what is keeping the network speed through a WiFi connection from reaching the correct throughout. I have deleted the network adapters, reinstalled the, reset network settings, etc. Nothing seems to fix the problem. It's sticks the to 20Mbps speed ping is usually under 10ms.

Any help in troubleshooting this would be helpful. Again, it's the only PC or device on my network that seems to be throttled.

Thanks,

Jason

:)

JasonThibeault1, Jan 20, 2020

2. Windows 10 download speed issues

Try this method:
    • First of all from Start Menu, open Settings (Type settings in the search bar and it will appear).
    • locate and select “Update and Security“.
    • in this window, Locate “Advanced Options”. Click on it.
    • In Advanced Options; Click on “Choose How Updates are Delivered“.
    • Turn off Updates from more than one place.
    Your system will not work as a seeder for other Windows 10 users. It will give sudden boast to your Slow internet speed.

lorraine walsh, Jan 20, 2020
  3. NamCK Win User
    Abysmal wifi speed on Windows 10

I've checked that drivers are up to date. I have 2 different wifi cards and 1 usb wifi adapter. I tried just about everything. Reception on other devices is fine, including a device located in the same spot as computer. It's strictly the computer after updating
    to Windows 10. My wifi speed starts fine but will quickly go down to about 0.1 to 2 mbps (instead of 15+) Nothing seems to fix this, other than a Network reset, after which speed is fine again but quickly degrades.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro, v1709 Build 16299.371

Summary:

• No program is hogging the connection
    • Speed degrades on multiple wifi adapter simultaneously
    • Can only be fixed by a Network reset
    • Steadily degrades over time after a reset
    • No wifi problems on other devices, even in same location
    • Drivers up to date
    • Speed degrades to 0.1-2 mbps with short, temporary bursts to full speed

NamCK, Jan 20, 2020
  4. dvongrad Win User

Windows 10 Internet Speed Degradation

Internet Speed

An online speed test of one computer hardwired to the Internet has only half the speed as another computer hardwired to the Internet. The second computer in wireless mode is still twice as fast as the first one that is hardwired. I suspect the network
    settings of the first are incorrectly configured to cause this degradation in speed but I have no idea what that could be. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks.

dvongrad, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Internet Speed Degradation

1. Windows 10 Internet Speed Degradation - Similar Threads - Internet Speed Degradation

2. Internet Connection degrades over time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Connection degrades over time: Hello,For the past few months, I've been experiencing a frustrating issue. When my PC has been on for an extended period of time 1-3 hours, I start to experience horrible ping/internet connection as if I'm experiencing packet-loss. Strangely enough, packet-loss testing...
  3. Question about flash drive speed degradation.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about flash drive speed degradation.: On my system, flash drives slow down with age. The worst example is a two or three month old 3.0 drive, which I've been using for the virtual drives of VMs, sometimes writes at less than 1MB/s. Is this kind of thing normal, and would switching to an SSD solve it? 172499
  4. WiFi speed degraded but ethernet is good

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WiFi speed degraded but ethernet is good: I have 1Gb internet and multiple devices. Every device is getting nearly 500Mbps on Wifi while Dell Precision 7530 stopped seeing this speed and now tests only 20-60Mbps Hard wired on ethernet it tests at 800Mbps. Other devices such as HP and MSF laptops, and phones still...
  5. Windows 10 internet speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 internet speed: Hi, I'm curious as to why my internet speed on my computer via ethernet cable is slower then my wifi connection on my phone. I've heard rumours of windows 10 taking up bandwith etc, wasnt sure wether this was the reason and if anyone else has the same problem. Wifi speedtest...
  6. Fan running constantly and degraded speed again

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fan running constantly and degraded speed again: 1 year old HP Envy with Windows 10 already installed. Constant issue reported previously. Fan suddenly starts running and stays running for weeks at a time. During these events, performance is significantly impacted including delays in key strokes, significantly slower...
  7. Speed degraded after reseting.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Speed degraded after reseting.: Due to multiple issues(not related to the speed of the system at all), i reset the windows ten by removing the apps but keeping my files/documents. But now after reseting windows 10, my system has slowed down like hell. Previously before reseting the speed was amazingly fast....
  8. WiFi speed degraded, Ethernet fine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi speed degraded, Ethernet fine: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop running a dual boot with Ubuntu. I have line-of-sight internet that runs at speeds of ~15 MB/s. Just before Christmas I noticed that the internet speed on my laptop dropped from ~15 MB/s to ~4 MB/s. If I use an ethernet cable off the modem...
  9. Windows 10 Upgrade degraded my download speed. Help

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Upgrade degraded my download speed. Help: Hi everyone! I've recently had the courage to upgrade my windows software from windows 8.1 to windows 10 but it has been causing me a lot of issues lately. My internet is extremely fast but my downloads seem to take over an hours just to download files sizes at around 300...
  10. wifi speed degradation in win 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi speed degradation in win 10 laptop: Why was this thread locked. I have exactly the same issue. I have an HP envy 14 with a Broadcom BCM43 802.11 bgn adapter. I have applied If I reboot it goes back to the 40 or so all of the fixes suggested by the MS responder in the previous thread and the problem is not...