Windows 10: Windows 10 invisible borders (possibly 7 pixels wide)

Discus and support Windows 10 invisible borders (possibly 7 pixels wide) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For me, one of the main cons of Windows 10 is it's invisible borders for windows. The invisible border is usually 7 pixels wide. I did make a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimhoyle, Oct 10, 2018.

1. jimhoyle Win User

Windows 10 invisible borders (possibly 7 pixels wide)

For me, one of the main cons of Windows 10 is it's invisible borders for windows. The invisible border is usually 7 pixels wide. I did make a workaround for this in AutoHotkey, the code is here: https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=26514

However, there are situations where this code doesn't work. Also it's very annoying to see windows changing size even though the new size is much better (without the useless margin).

I've noticed that some programs don't know exactly how to behave with this border. For example, for FlashFXP 5, it seems to snap horizontally to 7 px off the edge, but on the bottom it can either snap off or not snap. It's always crucial what happens after closing and reopening too.

What is this invisible border for in the first place? So that for touch screens it'd be easier to grab the very edge?

Is there still no way to disable this? Or what is the best workaround to get rid of this? I want my windows to be exactly where I want, not forced by the operating system. (I do have this setting OFF: Arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen.)

:)

jimhoyle, Oct 10, 2018
  2. con487 Win User

1 pixel wide border outside windows in High Contrast

Greetings,

I'm having a sort of an issue with window borders with custom High Contrast themes. I'm trying to create a dark theme based off an existing one I've found that could be used without patching any system files, hence why it uses High Contrast to get custom colors. I've had most of the problem already solved, notably the huge window borders, and I've acknowledged that some things may remain broken (such as tray icons having borders all around with the same color as button text).

The issue I'm now concerned about relates to window borders. Outside the standard window border, there is a 1 pixel wide border on the very outside of a window:

Windows 10 invisible borders (possibly 7 pixels wide) [​IMG]

I've noticed that the border seems to have the same color as the window title text. It seems like an inane decision from Microsoft's part - if you want a dark theme, you probably want dark title bars, so white text, and you get ugly white borders, as if you were trying to make a triangle of three gears move. In the image, I've had a compromise of grayish text which makes the text harder to read, but the borders more tolerable.

My question is, is it possible to either change the color of this border independently or remove it altogether? I've tried to search for instructions online without any success so far.

Thanks in advance.

con487, Oct 10, 2018
  3. Edwin Win User

@con487, welcome! Windows 10 invisible borders (possibly 7 pixels wide) :)

First of all, one of two things; you've either had AeroLite on your system or you've inherited it through a .theme file, and it's become a 'Parent' theme.
    Best to get rid of any AeroLite themes and traces, then set the Windows default theme then start 'building' a High Contrast theme from scratch. That will get rid of the trace border around most elements, eg. Notepad and the clock.

I must warn you, though, with the ever increasing amount of 'virtual/immersive' layers throughout the OS, it's getting more and more difficult to create a HC theme that looks half decent!

One important thing is to turn off 2 settings in 'Colors' and leave the 3rd one on!

Also, do the reg hack to make Active and Inactive title bars the same or similar color:

Inactive Title Bar Color - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Edwin, Oct 10, 2018
  4. con487 Win User

@Hopachi

Yes, I've been editing my themes using notepad. I already knew about title text, so "there is no way to change the 1px border independently" was really the important part here.

@Edwin

Thank you for the welcome.

I tried to remove AeroLite from the theme, and oh my, what is this abomination?

I think the theme needs further editing to make it work, or will it always end up looking like this without AeroLite? I'd much rather have the borders over this.

The settings of the Colors page posted already match mine.

con487, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 invisible borders (possibly 7 pixels wide) - Similar Threads - invisible borders possibly

2. Is it possible to remove the 1-pixel border around windows that the "Show accent color on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to remove the 1-pixel border around windows that the "Show accent color on...: Hello. the title pretty much says it all. I've tried to search for answers but its all just people talking about turning off the setting, which just makes the border a different color. There is chance that if I do disable the border, I might be unable to resize windows, and...
  3. Is it possible to remove the 1-pixel border around windows that the "Show accent color on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to remove the 1-pixel border around windows that the "Show accent color on...: Hello. the title pretty much says it all. I've tried to search for answers but its all just people talking about turning off the setting, which just makes the border a different color. There is chance that if I do disable the border, I might be unable to resize windows, and...
  4. 1 pixel border around menus and thick borders

in Windows 10 Customization
    1 pixel border around menus and thick borders: Hey,I recently got a problem where my taskbar menus got a 1 pixel border, and the Windows Settings menu has a very thick border. Control Panel menus are even weirder than the Settings menu. I've fixed this temporarily repeatedly by switching to another preset Windows theme...
  5. Windows 7 Borders for Windows 10?

Windows 7 Borders for Windows 10?: So Windows 10 has Aero Lite and stuff but I absolutely hate it. I want Aero Glass but that's not in my build. Also, I want the classic Windows 7 Borders - Smooth and stuff. I've changed up a lot, just missing the classic borders. I've tried a Windows 7 Theme for Windows 10...
  6. Windows 7 Window Borders on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 7 Window Borders on Windows 10: Hi, In my opinion, the window borders on windows 10 are kinda ugly. How do I make it look like windows 7/vista? How do I make it look like this: [ATTACH] And not this: [img] Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Version 2004 OS Build 20161.1000 160582
  7. Is there a fix for the invisible Windows borders?

Is there a fix for the invisible Windows borders?: I know this is an old issue, but I don't think there has ever been a solution. After all this time, I'm still not used to having invisible borders. Often I click on the wrong window. Any suggestions? I have Windows version 1903 157465
  8. Is there a fix for the invisible Windows borders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a fix for the invisible Windows borders?: I know this is an old issue, but I don't think there has ever been a solution. After all this time, I'm still not used to having invisible borders. Often I click on the wrong window. Any suggestions? I have Windows version 1903 157465
  9. 1 pixel wide border outside windows in High Contrast

1 pixel wide border outside windows in High Contrast: Greetings, I'm having a sort of an issue with window borders with custom High Contrast themes. I'm trying to create a dark theme based off an existing one I've found that could be used without patching any system files, hence why it uses High Contrast to get custom colors....
  10. Pixel border around active window

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Pixel border around active window: Hi there - first post as a new Windows 10 user migrating (returning) from OSX. So far only two issues found on 10130: Orange active window border: I have this horrble orange colour around the active window. I have changed all the colour settings but bothing seems to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. invisible windows border with windows 10

2. windows 10 7 pixels border

3. windows 10 remove invisible border

4. windows 10 7 pixels invisible window border