Windows 10: [Windows 10] Invisible overlay and weird click behaviour

Discus and support [Windows 10] Invisible overlay and weird click behaviour in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi ! I've been having some trouble with Windows 10 lately. I'm running on Windows 10 Pro version 1903, OS version 18362.778. Proc : Intel COR... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ekoes_, May 2, 2020.

1. Ekoes_ Win User

[Windows 10] Invisible overlay and weird click behaviour

Hi !

I've been having some trouble with Windows 10 lately.

I'm running on Windows 10 Pro version 1903, OS version 18362.778.

Proc : Intel COR i5-9400f

Several times per day, seemingly at random, an global invisible overlay appears and prevents me on clicking on anything accross my two monitors Samsung C24F396FHU.

I can still go through my application by using ALT+TAB but if I try to click on any of them, anywhere, the application loses the focus for something else I can't see.

This overlay extends over the Windows bar too, so I can't click on the Start button either.

I didn't see anything pecular on the Task Manager when this happens.

I've found out that killing the explorer.exe process via the Task Manager and then restarting it with Windows + R gets rid of this invisible overlay.

BUT all cap for dramatic effect

After that, Windows starts handling the mouse clicks very weirdly.
    I can click on applications and use them, but for some specific buttons, the click doesn't work. The hovering of the button is working, the app has the focsus and is knowing that the cursor is on the button ie: tooltip on the cursor, or the arrow changes to an hand but the click doesn't do anything.

The buttons I can't click on are the following :
    - all the buttons in the Windows Start Menu, even though I can click on the Start Button

- all of the Windows Settings Screens

- MalwareBytes buttons

[Windows 10] Invisible overlay and weird click behaviour 292a4e5c-20c7-4d38-ae63-ef2f84b7e319?upload=true.png

- For some reasons, and this on all browsers, I can't click on any of the Facebook Messenger Desktop conversations buttons...
    [Windows 10] Invisible overlay and weird click behaviour e354e9d3-4283-4100-8fee-0a373eced179?upload=true.png

I think there might be more buttons I can't click on but those are the only one I've found so far...

Strangely enough, if I lock my computer Windows + L and log back in, the issue is gone and I can click again on those specific buttons.

What I've tried so far and it didn't worked :

- scf /scannow AND dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth in the Powershell Console and then rebooting

- Uninstalling the Logitech G-Hub that came with my mouse Logitech MX518

- Forcing the Desktop mode in the Tablet menu the second bug with the buttons made me think maybe Windows considers it is running on a tablet, even though I'm using a desktop computer

- Reinstalling Nvidia drivers RTX 2060 SUPER

- Scanning for viruses with MalwareBytes, nothing other than Adwares on Google Chrome

- Using a different mouse/keyboard

I'll reset my Windows OS as a last resort...

Do you have any idea on what may causes these issues and how to fix it ?

:)

Ekoes_, May 2, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10, weird behaviour

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to update all the windows updates and install all the latest drivers.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Key and type troubleshooting.

• Click Troubleshooting. Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.

• Click next, select Not Listed. Click Next.

• Click Browse and select the installer that you downloaded using the link above.

• Click next, click Troubleshoot program.

• Check The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now box.

• Click next, select the last known working operating system for this driver.

For Blue screen Error i suggest you to refer the article below and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

For Visual Studio.

I suggest you to install the Visual Studio in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below on how to install software in compatibility mode:

1. Download the software from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the software and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the software install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, May 2, 2020
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Radeon Overlay not displaying all options

Ok, I got a question. The options to hide the overlay are confusing. What are the steps to turn on the overlay in-game? Not interested in logging much at the moment. Is Alt-R part of turning it on/off?

Sasqui, May 2, 2020
  4. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, May 2, 2020
Thema:

1. [Windows 10] Invisible overlay and weird click behaviour - Similar Threads - Invisible overlay weird

2. Weird recent Windows behaviour

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird recent Windows behaviour: Hi! I am having 2 issues that i am actively dealing with.I would be happy if anyone could help me here. I provided the .dmp belowIssue 1: high priorityRecently i noticed my games crashing way more often than they normally would Transport Fever 2 crashes on a regular basis but...
  3. Weird recent Windows behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird recent Windows behaviour: Hi! I am having 2 issues that i am actively dealing with.I would be happy if anyone could help me here. I provided the .dmp belowIssue 1: high priorityRecently i noticed my games crashing way more often than they normally would Transport Fever 2 crashes on a regular basis but...
  4. Abnormal behaviour on Windows Media Overlay

in Windows 10 Customization
    Abnormal behaviour on Windows Media Overlay: Greetings,My issue is as follows: Using media keys to control one source works as expected in most applications , excluding Spotify , where it only pops up if there is no focus on that window. However , when using multiple sources there seems to be a variety of issues.First...
  5. Unable to click - Invisible overlay above everything

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to click - Invisible overlay above everything: It seems that sometimes there is an invisible window on everything above the taskbar, however this overlay appears only on top of items that were not in full screen mode. For example if I am watching Netflix, on full screen the Netflix window works fine, however the minimize,...
  6. Unable to click - Invisible overlay above everything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to click - Invisible overlay above everything: It seems that sometimes there is an invisible window on everything above the taskbar, however this overlay appears only on top of items that were not in full screen mode. For example if I am watching Netflix, on full screen the Netflix window works fine, however the minimize,...
  7. Weird sign-in behaviour on Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Weird sign-in behaviour on Windows 10: Since I got this machine, I've had this weird problem where only one of my sign-in options actually behaves as I expect. If I sign in with my fingerprint, Windows behaves normally. If I use my PIN, or my account password, everything breaks. I can't alt+tab, I can't use...
  8. Weird behaviour

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Weird behaviour: Hi, I have backupped a good working system, installed with everything I'm used to work with (a win pro 64 install from usb stick wich works),..I did this because I knew updating windows to its latest version would give me problems...and yes today I have tried again for the...
  9. Invisible overlay not allowing to click

in Windows 10 Support
    Invisible overlay not allowing to click: Hi there, For over 2 weeks now I seem to be having an issue whereby after some time of using the PC I cannot interact with any programs, the desktop, icons in a 'square' region at the bottom left of the screen, right above the taskbar and below the topmost icons. I've...
  10. Weird Windows Snap Overlay

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird Windows Snap Overlay: So my laptop has done this weird thing ever since I got it. Whenever I drag a window, this pops up: [img] It did it when I was using it before and after I reinstalled windows, and I haven't seen it on any other computer, Windows 10 or no. What is this and how can I...