Windows 10: Windows 10 - IP Address Lease Not Renewing until expired.

Discus and support Windows 10 - IP Address Lease Not Renewing until expired. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been troubleshooting this issue on my computer as well as a friends.. where we lose network connectivity every hour. After doing some digging... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RaithZ, May 29, 2019.

1. RaithZ Win User

Windows 10 - IP Address Lease Not Renewing until expired.

I have been troubleshooting this issue on my computer as well as a friends.. where we lose network connectivity every hour.

After doing some digging we traced the times we lose network connectivity back to the time the IP address lease expires for our network connection. The way I understand DHCP to work is typically the client (my computer) would request a renewal of this IP address from the DHCP server around half way through the lease period. This is either not happening or something else is wrong.

I did capture the network card traffic in a wireshark capture if anyone cares to look at it, but what I see is it seems to wait till it expires and then sends out several hundred DHCP request packets via broadcast.. and then my router (the dhcp server) replies several hundred times. During this 5 second or so interval I have no network connectivity.

Has anyone seen this before? It does appear to renew the IP address lease.. but only after this happens and I've lost connectivity for 5 seconds.

This doesn't happen on any of my other computers.. at least that I have noticed. I have another windows 10 computer, a MAC, and several Linux machines that all seem to renew just fine without losing connectivity.

:)

RaithZ, May 29, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Cannot renew ip address [From static TO dynamic]

The IP lease hasn't expired in the router, so the router will keep handing out the same IP address to that computer. You can usually log into the router's configuration and go to the LAN devices area, then delete the device/lease.

newtekie1, May 29, 2019
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Internet connection stops daily when IP "lease" expires

Thanks, Ed. She had PM'd me for advice. We tried all the normal IPCONFIG tricks, and nothing would stick. That's the same advice I gave her earlier...to contact her ISP. Also suggested she post in this thread cause there are some Network Gurus around that may have a clue.

f14tomcat, May 29, 2019
  4. EdTittel Win User

Internet connection stops daily when IP "lease" expires

It sounds like you may be getting your IP address from your service provider. For some reason, the IP lease is not renewing automatically when your existing lease expires. Please call them and explain your situation and see if they can help you. OTOH, it might be your boundary device: if you own it, there's probably some setting that needs to change to make leases renew automatically. Again, I'm guessing the ISP owns that device and they should know how to fix this problem. Hope it works out that way!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - IP Address Lease Not Renewing until expired. - Similar Threads - Address Lease Renewing

2. The lease expires for an hour and is not updated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The lease expires for an hour and is not updated: After the last update, there was a problem that when the Internet is connected from the phone to the computer, the lease period is set for an hour and after that you need to switch the Internet on the phone again check the box here and there. Phone on 13 android samsung a23....
  3. IP address is compromised / license expires soon

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    IP address is compromised / license expires soon: I have gotten several phone calls with a person who claims to be from Microsoft and they tell me that my IP address has been compromised and my license is expiring. Are these scam phone calls or do you actually call people like this?...
  4. 24 hour lease on ip address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    24 hour lease on ip address: Why does my ip address lease expire in 24 hours ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/24-hour-lease-on-ip-address/62e22dd0-035e-4f76-a4a7-e8fb8de1e659
  5. How to remove internet lease? Like Lease Expires, Lease Obtained.

How to remove internet lease? Like Lease Expires, Lease Obtained.: I've been having this issue for the past 2-3 years, thinking it was something wrong with my Proxy configuration, ip. The issues I though was the problem are like, "Windows could not automatically detect network's proxy settings", "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP...
  6. DHCP renewal of IP address with ISP denied

DHCP renewal of IP address with ISP denied: Hello I wonder if anyone can advise concerning a series of messages appearing in the logs of my two networked computers? Examples of the messages: ON ALPHA: The IP address lease 192.168.0.3 for the Network Card with network address 0x0024E8F1F44F has been denied...
  7. IP address lease 192.168.1.2 for Network Card denied by DHCP server

IP address lease 192.168.1.2 for Network Card denied by DHCP server: Each time I switch on my W10 PC, I get an Error 1002 "Address configuration status event" show up in event viewer, and its error description is - The IP address lease 192.168.1.2 for the Network Card with network address 0x00..snip has been denied by the DHCP server...
  8. Internet connection stops daily when IP "lease" expires

Internet connection stops daily when IP "lease" expires: Three days ago I couldn't connect to the Internet with my laptop. Until then it was working perfectly and my phone was still working fine. I went into troubleshooting and the problem found was: "wireless network connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration". I Googled...
  9. Side effects of releasing/renewing IP addresses?

Side effects of releasing/renewing IP addresses?: There is a fairly well know security package that is causing some users problems on Win 10 AU - browser connections get blocked. (Other TCP/IP connectivity is unaffected - just browsers.) A user of the product found that releasing and renewing DHCP-provided IP address - i.e.,...
  10. Ethernet Adapter - Lease not renewing automatically

Ethernet Adapter - Lease not renewing automatically: For the past month the lease on the Ethernet Adapter has stopped renewing automatically. This means that when the lease expires it has to be renewed manually by running the Network Troubleshooter. It then renews for 24 hours, at the end of which the connection is again...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what causes windows 10 IP not renewing