Windows 10: Windows 10 Is asking administrator permission to rename and delete any file on computer

Discus and support Windows 10 Is asking administrator permission to rename and delete any file on computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The problem is that I want to create a file folder under documents under the "This PC" section in the files. I can create the file just fine, but when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LegenDerryGamer, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Is asking administrator permission to rename and delete any file on computer

The problem is that I want to create a file folder under documents under the "This PC" section in the files. I can create the file just fine, but when I go to rename it, it requires admin permission to do so. When I go to delete the file, it requires admin permission as well. I've looked everywhere and they all say to "take ownership by going through properties..." but I don't want to take ownership of a single file, I just want it to not ask me to do this every time I create a file, not including programs and other things. Going through the whole Properties thing, I noticed that there are three permission entries: the System, myself and Administrators, even though I am the Administrator. Is there anyway that I can change this without making it so that I can rename, move, and delete files without turning it off completely?

REPEAT, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR TAKING OWNERSHIP THROUGH PROPERTIES, IF YOU ARE GOING TO TELL ME TO DO THAT, DO NOT RESPOND, THAT IS NOT WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR, I WANT TO RENAME, MOVE, AND DELETE FOLDERS WITHOUT GIVING ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSION.

:)

LegenDerryGamer, Aug 27, 2020

2. Windows 10 - Administrator cannot delete or rename a file

I have researched this issue and it seems to be a problem for a lot of people but I have just encountered the first issue on my system which was upgraded to Windows 10 in August 2015. Current Windows 10 10.0.15063 Build 15063. Hard drive is Seagate Hybrid
    Drive ST2000DX001 2TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache and formatted NTFS 1.82 TB (275GB free).

I delete a file and it disappears. When I refresh the folder, it reappears so it actually never got deleted or, for some reason, the file was not removed from the file list. I attempted to rename as well as move the file but hit the same lack of permission
    issue.

I followed these instructions but when I got to step 3, I hit a snag.

1.) Move to the location where your files are stored in your PC for which you are given the messsage as 'Access Denied' an select any file orr folder.

2.) Now, when right click that file, select properties and move to security tab,
    then click on advanced button at the bottom - another windows will open with all the tabs on it.

3.) Firstly click on permissions tab -> click continue (if permission is asked then click on continue) -> move to Add -> Advanced -> click Find Now
    -> select your Administrator User Name from the drop-down list & then click O.K. twice.

At Step 3, when I click the 'Continue' link, under the Permission tab I get a message "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings.' I get the same message under the Effective Access tab. Under the Share tab, it shows I
    have full access but I can't add other administrators as everything is 'grayed' out.

However, there is 'one' hint as to the issue. Under 'Owner:' at the top it says 'Unable to display current owner.' When I click 'Change' I get the same issue as I did in the previous paragraph in that under the Permission tab I get a message "You do not
    have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings.' I get the same message under the Effective Access tab. Under the Share tab, it shows I have full access but I can't add other administrators as everything is 'grayed' out.

So I logged in on each of the other administrator accounts, attempted the same process on each one and got the exact same results.

In effect, this file, for whatever reason, is out of control by any administrator account and, literally, cannot be deleted. I suspect the file is corrupted or the ownership file for that file is corrupted.

Can anyone know how I can 'brute' force the removal of this file?

Thanks.

Luke

LuciusDouglas, Aug 27, 2020
  3. Maria Fab Win User
    Error of asking permission from the administrator

Hello,

The error message that asks permission usually appears when you don't have administrator rights to copy a file or folder. To determine the cause of the issue, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• What is the exact error message that you're getting?
    • Were you able to copy files before without any error?
    • Were there any changes made on your PC prior to this?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps provided by Niranjan Manjhi on this
    post. It includes guidelines on how to take ownership of a file or folder,
    turn off the User Account Control (UAC) which is necessary in preventing unauthorized changes to your computer, and enabling the hidden built-in administrator account on your PC. This was marked as an answer and a lot of Community members
    claimed it as helpful and that it solved their problem.

Please update us with the results. We will be glad to assist you.

Maria Fab, Aug 27, 2020
  4. md2dr2 Win User

Windows 10 Is asking administrator permission to rename and delete any file on computer

Need administrator permission for Any Explorer Function

Hello,

I swear my Windows 10 computer is slowly turning against me. Just today, I am trying to clean up some files and every time I try to rename, delete or move a file, it says I need administrator permission. I click continue and it proceeds to do what I ask.
    Why has it just started asking for permission to do anything? How do I make it stop? I have right-clicked on the folder(s) and some of the affected files. They all list my username as the owner and I have full control for access. I have also confirmed
    in settings that I am set up as an administrator, which is good because no one else uses my laptop. Suggestions?

md2dr2, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Is asking administrator permission to rename and delete any file on computer

1. Windows 10 Is asking administrator permission to rename and delete any file on computer - Similar Threads - asking administrator permission

2. I need help with deleting a file, asking for permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need help with deleting a file, asking for permission: Hi,i wanted to delete a file but I couldn't because it said that some other program is using it. I have checked and couldn't find any program using it. i have opened properties window and did something there, actually a couple of things which I'm not very clear of, basically...
  3. I need help with deleting a file, asking for permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help with deleting a file, asking for permission: Hi,i wanted to delete a file but I couldn't because it said that some other program is using it. I have checked and couldn't find any program using it. i have opened properties window and did something there, actually a couple of things which I'm not very clear of, basically...
  4. administrator permission to delete files/folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    administrator permission to delete files/folders: I have an Acer Predator laptop running Win 10. TI've had it for several years, and have manipulated files all over this machine with no issues. There is a folder on my desktop that I want to delete and suddenly I am apparently not allowed to do so. Windows is telling me that...
  5. administrator permission to delete files/folders

administrator permission to delete files/folders: I have an Acer Predator laptop running Win 10. TI've had it for several years, and have manipulated files all over this machine with no issues. There is a folder on my desktop that I want to delete and suddenly I am apparently not allowed to do so. Windows is telling me that...
  6. administrator permission to delete files/folders

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Need to delete files but need administrator permissions.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to delete files but need administrator permissions.: I dont know why these administrator permissions exist but anyway, I tried to delete some files in a program and it wouldnt let me because I need permissions from the administrator, someone please help!...
  8. Administrator permission needed to delete file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator permission needed to delete file: I am the administrator I am trying to delete a file, and it says I need administrator permission to delete the file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-permission-needed-to-delete-file/eefb5972-37ec-455e-9ed5-ee37c18ce6ba
  9. Needs Permission as Adm to delete and rename file

Needs Permission as Adm to delete and rename file: Trying delete file/rename it,but saying needs permission from Adm,in which I am. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/needs-permission-as-adm-to-delete-and-rename-file/81f1254e-06ef-4ef7-b6e2-a05586871aec
  10. Windows 10 File deletion needs System Administrator Permission

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 File deletion needs System Administrator Permission: I am the sole user of my computer. I cannot delete a file (or file folder) as to do so needs System Administrator Permission. I am the Administrator. How to I fix this?...