Windows 10: Windows 10 is awful - Task bar no longer has list option only useless thumbnails

Discus and support Windows 10 is awful - Task bar no longer has list option only useless thumbnails in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 has made my job efficiency go down so much that I have actually come online to the Microsoft site to try and get some assistance. Taskbar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KayDauge, Jan 31, 2020.

1. KayDauge Win User

Windows 10 is awful - Task bar no longer has list option only useless thumbnails

Windows 10 has made my job efficiency go down so much that I have actually come online to the Microsoft site to try and get some assistance.

Taskbar no longer has list option - this has been one of the most frustrating issues with the update. Windows 7 had the option to view the icons on the Task bar as a list. This was efficient because it captured the entire name of the application you were using rather than the thumbnails that cut off the entire name. Why is this inefficient? because the only thing that differentiates the apps/windows I have open are the last 3 letters in the title. Now, I get the same title with a ... at the end. I have absolutely no idea what window I want open and have to scroll over each and try to remember which one was the one I want or which one was the one I didn't want. This is incredibly infuriating when you have 10 thumbnails that all say the same thing unless you hover over them. How can this be fixed without me having to change something in a registry that could completely corrupt my computer? What were you thinking, Microsoft? Shame on you for not fixing this by now.

The Settings from the Start button/Control panel is almost useless. How in the world do you find Advanced system settings from there to try and edit the task bar? what do the options even mean? "Enable peek"? What does that mean? Peek at what? There's nothing explaining what these functions do. You just have to choose something and hope it means what you think it means.

How do you add apps to start with startup of the system? No clue. I can't believe how inefficient Windows 10 is compared to Windows 7. I thought that by now some of these problems would be fixed but now that I'm forced to use Windows 10 for work, I see that Microsoft does not care about it's end users and must get some kind of pleasure from making things more inefficient and slowing their end users down.

Right clicking on a link doesn't allow me to copy the link without some convoluted button clicking multiple times anymore in Sharepoint.

There's no option to right click on something and open a new tab in the browser, now I have to click on the middle of the scroll button to open a new tab.

I'm tempted to learn how to use a Mac. Please tell me you have some plan in place to improve these functions in the future or do you just enjoy hearing that your end users are barely able to function any longer?

:)

KayDauge, Jan 31, 2020

2. Cannot modify Task Bar settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue persists.

• Right click on the Task Bar.
    • Uncheck the option " Lock the Taskbar."

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Jan 31, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Defender - How to make it default to task bar?

Using Windows 10 and currently I am using Defender for anti virus. For whatever reason Windows Defender does not show up in the task bar unless I search for the program or right click and scan a file/folder. Is there a way to force Defender to show up in the task bar at start up?

Flogger23m, Jan 31, 2020
  4. Windows 10 is awful - Task bar no longer has list option only useless thumbnails

Thumbnails

Hi Alan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

Follow the steps provided below to turn Thumbnails on/off:

• Open File Explorer.
    • In the Menu bar, click on View and then Options.
    • In the View tab, uncheck/check the option for “Display file icon on thumbnails” to disable/enable thumbnails.

Hope the information is helpful. Please revert back with necessary information and we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 is awful - Task bar no longer has list option only useless thumbnails

1. Windows 10 is awful - Task bar no longer has list option only useless thumbnails - Similar Threads - awful Task bar

2. why has 'Reading List' appeared near my task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    why has 'Reading List' appeared near my task bar: Why has Reading List appeared near my bookmarks bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-has-reading-list-appeared-near-my-task-bar/7c97b8d0-8e71-48d4-9ced-dc4ef7644f56
  3. Task bar icons no longer have left click context options

Task bar icons no longer have left click context options: Win10 v20H2 10/02/2021 Kb4601319 and Kb4601050 installed I can no longer left click to bring up context options, as in Excel/Word recent docs ,Outlook no context options for new mail/task etc, Applies to all icons/apps on the task bar Occasionally unable to type in...
  4. task bar menu or thumbnail cut off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    task bar menu or thumbnail cut off: Hi. Did anyone encountered similar issue, while Chrome browser is loading, practically when u click on the Windows to load for the start menu, or simply open up anything from the notification center, the windows got cut-off, meaning u are able to see something is popping up...
  5. windows 10 incredibly awful- family safety useless

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 incredibly awful- family safety useless: how to stop windows 10 being incredibly awful- family safety useless https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-incredibly-awful-family-safety-useless/e43253da-2a01-4493-ad98-0de30b26ab94
  6. Start menu thumbnails - useless

Start menu thumbnails - useless: As I recall, when I floated the mouse pointer over a task bar icon in Windows 7 it displayed a fairly complete version of the names of the files the application was editing. In Windows 10 it displays a a thumbnail of the application's window below a truncated filename....
  7. Task Bar and Alphabetized List

Task Bar and Alphabetized List: Hello: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Desktop I updated an program. Afterward the entry for the program disappeared from the alphabetized list of the Start Menu. I searched for the executable and then right clicked and added to the task bar. An icon for the executable now shows...
  8. No Thumbnails on Task Bar

No Thumbnails on Task Bar: The software in [ATTACH]questions is Adobe Acrobat DC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-thumbnails-on-task-bar/7f566396-66b3-41c5-a439-a69f4c19394c
  9. Windows 10 Task bar with only a centered Windows logo.

Windows 10 Task bar with only a centered Windows logo.: Hello, Sometimes - probably my me accidentally hitting a hotkey - the Windows 10 task bar disappears and a new bar shows up with only the Windows 10 logo on it.? [ATTACH] I have 3 monitors hookup to a NVidia card utilizing NVidia Surround.., maybe NVidia has something to...
  10. Thumbnails and task bar icons not displaying

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails and task bar icons not displaying: Since the last Windows 10 update my thumbnails do not display. Some flash on when a folder is opened but then revert to an icon. I've already tried clearing cache and trying different programs to open the files. Also the folders containing thumbnails are now slow to open....