Windows 10: Windows 10 is completely unstable, hangs endlessly at random

Discus and support Windows 10 is completely unstable, hangs endlessly at random in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is getting absolutely intolerable. No matter what I do, eventually Windows 10 hangs and never recovers, forcing me to do a hard reset. Sometimes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SkyRender, Jul 30, 2015.

1. SkyRender Win User

Windows 10 is completely unstable, hangs endlessly at random

This is getting absolutely intolerable. No matter what I do, eventually Windows 10 hangs and never recovers, forcing me to do a hard reset. Sometimes open programs will continue to let me use them, other times not. The Start menu does not respond, however, and any new instances of any programs I try to start never actually load. There is no consistent trend to it at all. At first I thought it was a dying hard drive, but the drive is fine and the problem happens even when it's not being accessed. Then I thought it might be my USB WiFi adapter, but it's working fine as well. I thought it might be the "the last USB device installed isn't working" notice that keeps coming up (which is amazingly unhelpful since I didn't install any new USB devices) and disabled the offending USB port in Device Manager, but that did not stop it either. Windows Update has been completely useless for this as well. The last system hang I experienced happened not even 10 minutes after booting the system up. Please, someone help me solve this!

:)

SkyRender, Jul 30, 2015

2. Windows 10 Random Hangs - solution?

In the last day or so, I've been experiencing random hangs on Windows 10 (free "upgrade", not factory install).

These are completely random - hangs occur in any program or app, or even straight from login. Sometimes the hang resolves itself after waiting for a while (anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes), more often I have to reboot using the Power button.

Once rebooted, I Restart from the Start menu (if it works!).

Searching various online forums and the Microsoft help community has not helped at all.... but it has revealed that Windows 10 is inherently unstable.

My question is twofold:

Is there an actual solution to cure these hangs?

Or should I revert to Windows 8.1 and wait until Microsoft fix this issue?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

DavidHyland, Jul 30, 2015
  3. FShelton Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrade stuck at 90% and computer hung

Thanks for your reply -

There was no closing the wizard... a hard reboot / power down was required as computer was completely hung. Antivirus/Firewall were disabled before I started the last update attempt. At this point neither Windows 7 or Windows 10 updates work. Windows 7
    spins endlessly and Windows 10 hangs system after X% complete.

I will attempt manual upgrade from ISO as soon as I get home from work today. Hope it works!

FShelton, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Windows 10 is completely unstable, hangs endlessly at random

You are not alone as the same thing is happening to me also.
    I ended up reverting back to windows 7 tonight as 10 is simply too unreliable and i cannot trust it at all.

When I upgraded to 10 the first bug was that it would not let me access the settings or right click personalize or display settings. It would pop up a window for a fraction of a second and then close it.
    I googled the issue and ran some microsoft fixit program which resolve it but there were other problems.

I would get random Blue Screens upon startup that would flag the nvidia video driver as the culprit even though it was the latest version.

Windows 10 would randomly close apps and other windows with no rhyme or reason. This is horrifying especially when you are working on something and you lose it all.

Frequent nuisance notifications to warn me to enable virus protection even though microsofts own Defender product was already running.

Same as you with the freezing and the whole USB message about the last usb device installed etc.

Also I had set up wallpaper to change every minute but then changed it to be every hour yet windows 10 would not change it to an hour no matter what i set it to. It was stuck forever on 1 minute !

Tonight was the last straw.
    I was trying to simply browse the internet but everything was slow and unresponsive.
    I looked at task manager and it was at around 80 % cpu spread over a bunch of windows apps.
    I had enough if this.

I tried to go back to windows 7 but when i clicked on it nothing happened.
    I was now feeling horrified at the prospect of being stuck with this buggy product !
    I decided to restart to see if that would help.
    Blue screen.
    Just great.
    I just HAVE to get rid of this nightmare windows 10 !
    Luckily i was eventually able to boot up and then click on the button to go back to windows 7.
    Let me tell you i was very nervous that something would go wrong in this process but it completed and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

I will stay on windows 7 until i feel brave or stupid enough to try this again. Maybe by that time microsoft will have worked out the bugs.

Hope my post helps others out there.

icemankent, Aug 5, 2015
  5. essenbe Win User
    SkyRender, how did you do the upgrade? Did you do it through the GWX or the media creation tool? Also, it would help if you go to the bottom left of your last post and click 'My System Specs' Please list all of your system specs with Mnufacturer and Model. Please include the PSU and CPU Cooler. If you would like to know what we would like, click My System Specs at the bottom of this post and see mine.

essenbe, Aug 5, 2015
  6. New computer time. Or, win 10 might not have caught all MFRs drivers for win 10. My PC board MFR, Gigabyte and Intel CPU has all new drivers for win 10 including the chipset (rather important), the bios is okay, Once I checked the MS install and added what was needed (very little, thanks MS this time) the win 10 OS settled right down and has not acted up since. Third party stuff still has a way to go but, for the most part it appears they to are on top of this.

lopedoggie, Aug 5, 2015
  7. essenbe Win User
    My main rig has Windows 10 drivers on the web site. I haven't installed them yet, but windows 10 runs fine and everything works.

essenbe, Aug 5, 2015
  8. Sanssail Win User

clean install of windows 10 worked for me after intolerable hangs after upgrade

Sanssail, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 is completely unstable, hangs endlessly at random - Similar Threads - completely unstable hangs

2. Bizarre system hang, seems to happen completely randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bizarre system hang, seems to happen completely randomly: ROG B550F GamingRyzen 3 4100Gigabyte RX570This hang happens anywhere from 10 minutes after boot, to 6 hours after boot. Its bizarre in that everything looks normal, however apps stop fuctioning without "not responding" and windows basically does the same. All windows UI...
  3. Bizarre system hang, seems to happen completely randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bizarre system hang, seems to happen completely randomly: ROG B550F GamingRyzen 3 4100Gigabyte RX570This hang happens anywhere from 10 minutes after boot, to 6 hours after boot. Its bizarre in that everything looks normal, however apps stop fuctioning without "not responding" and windows basically does the same. All windows UI...
  4. Bizarre system hang, seems to happen completely randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 system randomly hangs

Windows 10 system randomly hangs: Hello, i have a problem that struggles me a long time now... I dont usually post here, so please forgive me if i do any mistakes explaining etc. i have a machine with win10 Pro latest updates installed system is right after format and only a few programs needed as the pc...
  6. Windows Mail 16005.13426.20316.0 Unstable and Hanging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mail 16005.13426.20316.0 Unstable and Hanging: Hi all, Latest update of Windows Mail seems to have broken my Office 365 Account and Gmail Account: When loading the app, mail spinning icon for several minutes Loading mailboxes is very slow Search no longer works for Office and Gmail After searching - no results, inbox...
  7. Random Hanging - New Windows 10

Random Hanging - New Windows 10: Hi, I've been holding off on posting to see if I can diagnose this myself, but have had no luck. I've been having issues with random hanging working away and then suddenly the mouse freezes and the computer is frozen and I have to restart the computer. I thought it may...
  8. Windows 10 Randomly Hangs/Freezing

Windows 10 Randomly Hangs/Freezing: Hi, everyone. My PC has been freezing lately, and the only thing I could do to get out of it was power down and restart. I tried all the suggested updates and system checks from the forums but they didn't work. Then I read someone's experience of a faulty cable causing...
  9. Application Hangs (result in complete system hang)

Application Hangs (result in complete system hang): (Not a BSOD related issue) So for some reason after clean installing Windows 10 Pro 1903 I get random application hangs and then my system just hangs entirely and forces me to manually reboot. The only errors that get logged is in Event Viewer which I've saved to a .RAR. My...
  10. Windows 10 Randomly Hangs / Freezing

Windows 10 Randomly Hangs / Freezing: Hi Support, Currently I have run windows latest updated. Checked internal laptop diagnostic for hardware any issues, passed the diagnosed test. Done office 2010 internal repaired w/o any issues. Its did hangs Excel, Adobe Reader, Windows updates randomly. I appreciate...