Windows 10: Windows 10 is getting a new driver updates process next month

Discus and support Windows 10 is getting a new driver updates process next month in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; As part of its upcoming November 2020 update, Microsoft is making a significant change to the way in which Windows 10 detects manual and automatic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 30, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 is getting a new driver updates process next month

As part of its upcoming November 2020 update, Microsoft is making a significant change to the way in which Windows 10 detects manual and automatic drivers that could break your peripherals in some cases.

In February, Microsoft made a change that allows hardware developers to offer their drivers in two ways – automatic and manual. The driver updates for your device via Windows Update is based on the way the drivers are specified by the OEM.

For example, if Intel specifies their driver as ‘automatic’, Microsoft will include the driver in Windows Update’s normal experience and the driver will be downloaded automatically when you check for updates.

If a driver is set to ‘manual’, it would be delivered via Windows Update but it will be deemed optional and only appear in new Optional Updates page. Manual drivers are considered optional and they won’t install automatically on your device.

Currently, these manual or optional drivers are still installed automatically when you add a new plug-and-play peripheral to ensure that all features of your device work properly.

For example, when you connect a web camera or controller to your computer, drivers are installed via the company’s built-in software or Windows Update. Additional drivers, which are available under ‘Optional Updates’ are also installed automatically via Windows Update.

Windows 10 is getting a new driver updates process next month Windows-optional-updates.jpg

Starting in November, Microsoft says it will no longer install additional/manual drivers automatically on your device if an update is available via the ‘Optional Updates’ section in Windows Update.

Note that drivers will continue to be deployed automatically when you install a device, but this will work only when the manufacturer has published a driver marked as “automatic” in Windows Update.

As part of the change, additional drivers or drivers marked as ‘manual’ by OEMs won’t be installed automatically anymore on the device. If you have issues with your peripheral device (a keyboard, for example), you would need to open the optional updates of Windows Update and manually install the drivers.

In case there is no automatic driver available, your device will not work automatically and you may need to apply the manual driver update from Update & Security > Windows Update > View optional updates.

Microsoft says you can install these optional drivers when you’ve issues with your mouse, keyboard, etc and drivers are not available on the manufacturer’s website.

The post Windows 10 is getting a new driver updates process next month appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 30, 2020
  2. Hood Win User

Windows 10 nVidia Driver Question

With the Nov Update, Windows 10 became mature enough to give another try. Build 10586 (version 1511) runs great, feels snappy, and has no obvious problems. However, I'm concerned with this version's insistence on loading nVidia's 353.54 driver, which is dated July 13 2015, 4 months ago. On their US website they list all the new drivers as being compatible with Windows 10, (such as 358.91), but they won't load (installer says incompatible with this version of Windows, could find no compatible hardware...). The 353.54 driver runs games without any problems, but why is it taking so long to for nVidia to update this driver? Is it my 780 Ti that's incompatible or is it Windows 10?

3. R-T-B Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Kanan Win User

Windows 10 nVidia Driver Question

It's a weird software problem I guess. Try GeForce Experience to upgrade it, maybe it works. I have a 780 Ti too and have the newest driver in Win 8.1, installed via GF Experience.

Kanan, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 is getting a new driver updates process next month - Similar Threads - getting driver updates

2. Will Windows 10 users stop getting support next month see link

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Windows 10 users stop getting support next month see link: It seems potentially true that we may stop getting support next month. I did notice that we may get support unless we update, but there is notes about only annual updates. I noticed that Windows 11 is being pushed, and I just purchased a new Windows 10 laptop in August....
  3. Will Windows 10 users stop getting support next month see link

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will Windows 10 users stop getting support next month see link: It seems potentially true that we may stop getting support next month. I did notice that we may get support unless we update, but there is notes about only annual updates. I noticed that Windows 11 is being pushed, and I just purchased a new Windows 10 laptop in August....
  4. Will Windows 10 users stop getting support next month see link

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 will still get two feature updates next year, but in a new way

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will still get two feature updates next year, but in a new way: Microsoft is still planning to release two feature updates next year for Windows 10, but the company won’t repeat this year’s major-minor cadence for upgrades. This time the significance of the next two Windows 10 upgrades will be flipped. The end result will be a minor...
  6. Windows 10 could get these new features next year

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 could get these new features next year: Microsoft is considering a new update for its PowerToys tool to introduce a range of new features and further expand customization options on Windows 10. According to the roadmap, Microsoft is currently considering a new screen recording tool, Always on Top mode, custom font...
  7. Microsoft says Windows 10 will receive fewer updates next month

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft says Windows 10 will receive fewer updates next month: Microsoft says it will suspend the rollout of Windows 10 optional preview updates in December 2020 due to “minimal operations” at its Redmond headquarters. Microsoft has been pushing multiple updates every month, but it’s time for a brief pause in proceedings. Microsoft has...
  8. Windows 10 is getting faster in next feature update

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 is getting faster in next feature update: Windows 10 devices could lose some of its lusters and get slower over time. While there are ways to improve your device performance, it looks like Microsoft is finally making changes with May 2020 Update to make Windows 10 run faster on some hardware. With Windows 10 version...
  9. Windows 10 version 2004 update to launch next month

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 version 2004 update to launch next month: Microsoft is finally rolling out its Windows 10 version 2004 feature update to the testers in the Release Preview Ring. Today, the company also confirmed that 20H1/version 2004 is known as the May 2020 Update and it’s nearing the end of the testing phase. As we already know,...
  10. Windows 9 Preview possibly next month

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Preview possibly next month: "One of my contacts who has provided accurate information on Windows in the past said the Threshold tech preview will be public and available to all those interested "- MJF Full story here *Smile 1679