Windows 10: Windows 10 is getting ‘Device Usage’ personalization settings

Discus and support Windows 10 is getting ‘Device Usage’ personalization settings in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In October 2020, Microsoft started testing an updated OOBE (out of the box experience) screen with new options to help users set up their new or old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Feb 15, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 is getting ‘Device Usage’ personalization settings

In October 2020, Microsoft started testing an updated OOBE (out of the box experience) screen with new options to help users set up their new or old device after Windows 10 feature updates.

The company is still ‘exploring’ the idea and it looks like the Settings app is also getting updated with a new ‘Device Usage’ section to help users customize their device after they’ve left the OOBE screen.

At the moment, it’s unclear how new ‘Device Usage’ setting will work because it crashes in the preview builds. The option appears under the ‘Personalization’ page of the Settings app, so it’s safe to assume that Microsoft is not working on Google’s Digital Wellbeing-like feature for the OS.

Windows 10 is getting ‘Device Usage’ personalization settings Device-usage-page.jpg
    Image Courtesy: Albacore (Twitter)

Instead, it looks like the new Device Usage screen will allow users to have their system more tailored to their personal needs. The ‘Device Usage’ page is internally codenamed ‘SettingsUserIntentPage’, which also suggests that the Device Usage setting is linked to the new OOBE experience.

If the new settings page is indeed based on the OOBE experience and our theory is correct, users will be able to pick the main usage category for their machine. The following ‘device usage’ categories will be offered initially:

• Gaming
    • Family
    • Creativity
    • Schoolwork
    • Entertainment
    • Business.

If you select ‘Gaming’, Windows 10 will be optimized for gaming, but it’s unclear how the ‘optimization’ will work and what changes will be made to your system.

It’s also unclear if this feature will be included in the next big feature update ‘Sun Valley’.

As we mentioned at the outset, Microsoft isn’t fully confident about the features they test in the preview builds and they’re only exploring the idea.

This new ‘Device Usage’ change has been introduced with Windows 10 Build 21313, although note that it can be enabled using third-party tools only.

The post Windows 10 is getting ‘Device Usage’ personalization settings appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Feb 15, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Privacy tweaks...

• Turn Cortana Off. Bring up the Start menu and start typing. Click on the notebook icon in the left sidebar and choose Settings. From there, you can turn off Cortana.
    • Search online and include web results. When you turn off Cortana, you’ll see this option appear. You can turn it off if you’d rather not get web search suggestions from the Start menu, which log your typing and send it back to Microsoft so you can get live-updating predictions, just like you do on Google.com or in Chrome and Firefox.
    • Getting to Know You. In Settings > Privacy > Speech, Inking, & Typing, you’ll find a feature called “Getting to Know You”. This is probably the most sweeping privacy setting on the system, and even after turning off Cortana, you’ll have to disable this setting. Just click the “Stop Getting to Know Me” button to turn it off.
    • Cloud Info. Turning off Getting to Know You removes info from your device, but you’ll have to remove it from the cloud separately. In that same window, click “Go to Bing and manage personal info for all your devices” to clear the Getting to Know You Data from your Microsoft account.

• If you head to Settings > Privacy > Feedback & Diagnostics, you’ll see two settings:
    • Feedback frequency: Windows will occasionally ask you for feedback so you can send Microsoft your thoughts on Windows 10. If you’d rather it not bug you with such things, you can change it to Never.
    • Diagnostic and usage data: This feature can send a lot of data back to Microsoft, including how often you use certain apps, which apps you use most often, and memory snapshots (which can inadvertently include parts of a document you’re working on if something crashes). You can change this to Full, Enhanced, or Basic. You can read more about what each of these to here.
    Microsoft doesn’t let you turn off diagnostics completely, except on Enterprise versions of Windows. The Basic setting, they say, is data that is “vital to the operation of Windows”, including Windows Update and malicious software protection.

some may be duplicated. I found this info on Lifehacker, if anyone wants the full article.

Ahhzz, Feb 15, 2021
  3. Settings/Personalization

Hi,

We suggest that you follow the steps below to put your settings back to default and see if it helps.

• Right-click your mouse on your desktop.
    • Click on Personalize.
    • Select Colors.
    • Click on High contrast settings.
    • From the drop-down menu, select None.
    • Click Apply.
    • Reboot the PC for the changes to take effect.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Feb 15, 2021
  4. btarunr Win User

Lenovo Ready to Launch Windows 10 Devices

Lenovo today announced it will begin shipping a wide selection of products loaded with Windows 10 starting July 29. Lenovo has an extensive list of products eligible for this upgrade including popular models like the YOGA 3 Pro and YOGA 500. Lenovo customers can check here for their product's eligibility.

Lenovo has worked with Microsoft Corp. to make the process of upgrading simple, for people with qualified Lenovo PC running Windows 7 SP1 or 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10. Starting on July 29, the updates will roll out. If a user has reserved a copy of Windows 10, he/she will be notified once the compatibility process confirms that the user will have a great experience, and Windows 10 has been downloaded on their system.

Windows 10 is getting ‘Device Usage’ personalization settings 91a_thm.jpg

Lenovo Apps Enhance Windows 10 Experience
    To give users consistent experiences across devices and operating systems, the preloads include a suite of Lenovo-written applications. The new Lenovo Companion 3.0 optimization tool keeps devices running at peak performance and can be used at any time to run a full-scale checkup and report back with specific actions to free up space and speed up the device. As a "smart" device control hub, the new Lenovo Settings lets users easily adapt and modify the way their device behaves. For example, when in tablet mode, the product will customize its display and other settings based on its orientation versus in traditional laptop mode. Alternatively, the device's usage will also alter its settings, for example when watching a movie versus reading an e-book. With SHAREit, customers can quickly transfer files between devices. For tablet users WRITEit takes the pen to a new level of functionality allowing users to write in any input field with their pen and the handwriting is converted to text.

As announced at Tech World in May, Lenovo and Microsoft have worked to integrate Cortana and REACHit, Lenovo's groundbreaking app that allows users who opt-in to search for and manage their content across multiple devices and cloud storage platforms. With REACHit, Cortana becomes even smarter and more personal, enabling users to find their content such as emails, photos and videos in ways they never thought possible. Cortana and REACHit gives users a seamless, intuitive way to search through natural language and contextual understanding.

"With Windows 10, computing gets more personal, productive and connected," said Tom Shell, senior vice president, PC Business Group, Lenovo. "Across our entire PC product line, from the office to the home, we've optimized our Lenovo devices to give customers a great computing experience while giving them enhanced search tools like Cortana with REACHit."

btarunr, Feb 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 is getting ‘Device Usage’ personalization settings - Similar Threads - getting ‘Device Usage’

2. Windows 10 is getting new personalization settings

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 is getting new personalization settings: Windows 10’s next big feature update is arriving sometime in October or November and there won’t be any major changes to the operating system with the Spring update. The company is already testing new interface tweaks for Windows 10 Sun Valley update, and some changes are now...
  3. Windows 10 Personalization/Color Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Personalization/Color Settings: Hello! So basically I was recently changing my colors in my windows 10 computer settings and you know how you can go into settings>then personalization>then colors and there are all these options to pick a accent color for both your start menu and your taskbar? Well I...
  4. Can't get to windows settings or personalize

Can't get to windows settings or personalize: Win 10 Vers 2004 build 19041.329 Can't get to windows settings or personalize after 2004 update. Everything else seems to work fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-to-windows-settings-or-personalize/763e168a-08fa-4dca-abd5-a1049f8462d3
  5. Windows 10 Saving personalized settings

Windows 10 Saving personalized settings: My Windows 10 is from a Microsoft Store purchased USB. Since installation on my desktop, two months ago, saving my personalized display settings is erratic. Most of the time, it is as if settings were not saved at shutdown/power off or they are removed at next startup. It...
  6. Personalized Settings Not Responding in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Personalized Settings Not Responding in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you recently installed an update, and when you boot your computer and you see an error message – Personalized Settings (Not Responding), then some of these suggestions are sure to help you. This error can appear after installing an [...] This post...
  7. Windows 10, syncing of personal settings

Windows 10, syncing of personal settings: For a long time, I've used the mouse left handed on my desktop machine. (I'm right handed, and I can mouse just fine left handed, but I cant write left handed, so I like to keep my right hand free to take notes (I know - archaic). I like the way settings sync to the other...
  8. Personalized Settings on startup [Windows 10]

in Windows 10 Support
    Personalized Settings on startup [Windows 10]: I have this issue where when I restart my laptop there's a windows that says "Personalized Settings" with black screen. Takes a while to load and it done this multiple times. It started doing it today. How can I fix? 100313
  9. Windows 10 turns re-sets personal settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 turns re-sets personal settings: Windows 10 will reset my settings. First of all I have my system set to make IE my default brewers. But every time I click a link it will ask me if I want IE or Edge. One other thing. I dislike using the touch pad on my laptop so I have it set to disable the touch pad. I...
  10. Windows 10 Device Usage: February

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Device Usage: February: A new report from AdDuplex examines the relative popularity of PC makers, Surface devices, OS versions, and more. As you may recall, AdDuplex bills itself as the largest cross-promotion network for Windows apps. AdDuplex empowers developers and publishers to promote their...