Windows 10: Windows 10 is getting macOS-like Search tool with PowerToys

Discus and support Windows 10 is getting macOS-like Search tool with PowerToys in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has been working on a macOS Spotlight-like search tool for Windows 10. The tool is designed to replace the existing Win + R experience and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, May 19, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 is getting macOS-like Search tool with PowerToys

Microsoft has been working on a macOS Spotlight-like search tool for Windows 10. The tool is designed to replace the existing Win + R experience and it includes options to quickly search apps and files across Windows.

Today, Microsoft has released a new version of PowerToys and it comes with the new search tool for Windows 10 called ‘Run Launcher’ and a Keyboard Remapper. Windows 10’s new search tool allows you to search for apps and folders by name, unlike the standard Run dialog where you need to enter the exact file name.

Unlike Windows Search, PowerToys’ Spotlight-like tool is classic keyboard-based search launcher and it’s a lot like a modern replacement for the Win+R.

You should get PowerToys Run if you don’t like the standard search in Windows 10’s Start menu. With this new tool, you are basically searching for apps and files in local storage.

Windows 10 is getting macOS-like Search tool with PowerToys PowerToys-Run.jpg

The software giant has been working on this new search tool since January and the current build supports the following features.

• Basic Windows apps and files search.
    • Find the folder location of a file or app.
    • Run as administrator.

Microsoft says it has plans to make this Windows 10 Search experience more powerful launcher with future updates.

Windows 10 is getting macOS-like Search tool with PowerToys Search-tool-for-Windows-10.gif

For example, PowerToys Run will get support for plugins like calculators and search engines (Bing) later this year.

In addition, Microsoft is introducing keyboard key remapper called “Keyboard Shortcut Manager”. Microsoft says the tool will allow you to rename individual keys and even keyboard shortcuts.

Windows 10 is getting macOS-like Search tool with PowerToys PowerToys-Keyboard-Manager.jpg

PowerToys’ Keyboard Shortcut Manager appears to be more powerful and user-friendly than the third-party applications.

If you’re interested, you can download and install PowerToys version 0.18 from Microsoft’s Github. Once downloaded, run the installer and you can then access the tool from Windows 10’s system tray.

To use the new search tool, you need to press and hold Alt + Space. If you want to remap keyboard shortcuts, launch PowerToys from the system tray and click on Keyboard Mapper where you need to follow the on-screen instructions.

The post Windows 10 is getting macOS-like Search tool with PowerToys appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, May 19, 2020

2. Windows 10 Snipping Tool on Windows 7

All it is is one extra step beyond what is native to windows 10. Yes, technically it would be easier to have the functionality of print built in to the Windows 7 version, but you just have to save it ,and right click on it ,and print.

As far as getting the windows 10 version into windows7. I know there was a way to get the old winpaint, so maybe there's a way to get the snipping tool into 10, I don't know.

im curious if i could compress, and upload the application to this post? 7zip doesnt seem to be allowed

jboydgolfer, May 19, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    New Microsoft PowerToys version 0.14.0 released for Windows 10

UPDATE 12/5: New Microsoft PowerToys version 0.14.1 released for Windows 10

How to install

For new and existing users, head to Releases . microsoft/PowerToys . GitHub and download the PowerToysSetup.msi installer.

How to Download and Install Microsoft PowerToys in Windows 10

What’s new inside 0.14.0

FancyZones

Changes:

• Removed legacy editor (along with the settings option to choose between the legacy editor and the new editor).
    • Added a settings to disable FanzyZones for user defined list of applications.
    • The editor now opens highlighting the current active layout.
    • Show the correct keyboard key for the editor shortcut (with some limitations due to the WebView control).
    Bug fixes:

• Fixed the FancyZones bug that was stealing the number keys (mostly happening when dragging Chrome tabs).
    • Fixed a DPI scaling bug in the FancyZones editor that was causing the zones to be placed in the wrong position on the screen.
    • Fixed bug preventing several apps from working with FancyZones (there are still some cases, like remote apps, that may not work).
    PowerRename

Changes:
    • The dialog can be resized (still need to finished the work to handle DPI changes when moving the dialog between screen with different scaling %).
    • Added settings to restore search and replace flags value from previous run.
    • Added settings to enable autocomplete and auto-suggest.
    Bug fixes:

• Improved RegEx replace result.
    • Fix bug preventing sub-folder items to be renamed if parent folder is also renamed.
    Other bug fixes

• fixed a bug in the runner that was causing the tray icon to not appear.
    • minor UI tweaks to the Settings appearance (icons position and margins, module's description text and documentation links position and margins).
    • fixed a crash in the SortcutGuide.
    NOTE: When upgrading from a previous version, the installer will close all the Windows Explorer windows in order to update the PowerRename shell extension.

Brink, May 19, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

New Microsoft PowerToys version 0.16.0 released for Windows 10

Source:

How to Download and Install Microsoft PowerToys in Windows 10

Brink, May 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 is getting macOS-like Search tool with PowerToys - Similar Threads - getting macOS Search

2. MacOS like global menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    MacOS like global menu in Windows 10: Hey guys! Hope you all having a good time. I wander if there any possibility to make something like El Capitan panel in windows 10, where all the menu bars from all the windows would be integrated? I like really like this feature in Macos, and I know it could be done easily...
  3. PowerToys - Tools to increase productivity in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PowerToys - Tools to increase productivity in Windows: Microsoft PowerToys are a set of tools that help users increase productivity while working on Windows. Some of the tools are FancyZone, Image resizer, Powertoys Run, File Explorer tools, etc. Each one is explained one by one below. Download PowertoysPowertoys are sourced on...
  4. PowerToys - Tools to increase productivity in Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PowerToys - Tools to increase productivity in Windows: Microsoft PowerToys are a set of tools that help users increase productivity while working on Windows. Some of the tools are FancyZone, Image resizer, Powertoys Run, File Explorer tools, etc. Each one is explained one by one below. Download PowertoysPowertoys are sourced on...
  5. Menu command search function in the Help menu like on MacOS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Menu command search function in the Help menu like on MacOS: This is extremely useful to me as I juggle between many creative apps and can't realistically learn/remember the shortucts for each one so what I used to do was always looking things up on google but this is so much more convinient.If it's not possible now Microsoft should...
  6. Will Windows 10 keep upgrading/updating for free like MacOS?

Will Windows 10 keep upgrading/updating for free like MacOS?: As I understand it, and correct me if I’m wrong, but there will be no Windows 11. Instead it sounds like Microsoft will just continue to update Windows 10 for the foreseeable future, much like Apple’s MacOS. If this is true, does this mean that once you pay for a license of...
  7. Windows 10 could be getting macOS-like find cursor feature

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 could be getting macOS-like find cursor feature: On macOS, you can enlarge the cursor to make it easier to see by simply shaking your mouse. Windows 10 also allows users to find the cursor on the desktop by pressing the Ctrl key, which you can enable and disable from the accessibility settings of the mouse. Based on the...
  8. Is there a way to Pin PowerToys "PowerRun" tool to Windows 10 desktop?

Is there a way to Pin PowerToys "PowerRun" tool to Windows 10 desktop?: Is there any workaround to do so? submitted by /u/okweb1989 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gx2xa8/is_there_a_way_to_pin_powertoys_powerrun_tool_to/
  9. Windows 10 to get Spotlight-like launcher with PowerToys

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 to get Spotlight-like launcher with PowerToys: Microsoft is working on a tool that will let you replace the Windows Run feature on Windows 10. The Spotlight-like launcher for Windows 10 will be released later this year, as part of the company’s effort to customize Win+R and give users numerous features but keep the...
  10. Workspaces like MacOS for Windows 10?

Workspaces like MacOS for Windows 10?: Is there anything native in Windows 10, or 3rd party software, that allows you to save certain apps to a virtual desktop? I know you can make BatchFiles, but it's clunky and doesn't open the window exactly how you want it. It would be great to simply click a single button and...