Windows 10: Windows 10 is getting support for additional Microsoft products updates

Discus and support Windows 10 is getting support for additional Microsoft products updates in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; On Windows 10, Windows Update allows you to easily download feature updates, monthly cumulative update updates, optional updates, and driver updates.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Dec 4, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 is getting support for additional Microsoft products updates

On Windows 10, Windows Update allows you to easily download feature updates, monthly cumulative update updates, optional updates, and driver updates. Windows Update can also detect, download and apply updates for Microsoft products, which can include the Office productivity suite.

If you wish to receive updates for Microsoft products, you need to manually turn on this feature from the Settings app.

Starting December 2020, Microsoft will begin releasing updates for additional Microsoft products such as .NET Core 2.1, 3.1 or .NET 5.0. Windows Update will also allow you to apply updates to .NET Core Runtime, Core Runtime, and the .NET Core Desktop Runtime installers.

For those unaware, .NET packages include tools and runtime features or new languages for Windows 10 desktop apps.

These installers are either deployed via Visual Studio or as part of another app. For example, Windows 10 PowerToys app requires you to install the .NET runtime package.

In other words, .NET Core is currently used to run some Windows 10 apps and Microsoft is now planning to ship updates for .NET Core directly via the Windows Update.

The first .NET update will show up on your device if you’ve already enabled updates for ‘Microsoft products’ in the Windows Update settings app and .NET Core-based programs are installed.

You can verify if you’ve .NET Core runtime packages installed by heading to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall updates screen.

Windows 10 is getting support for additional Microsoft products updates Net-Core-updates.jpg

When the setting is enabled and updates are available, you’ll see it in within the Settings app and you can choose to install the .NET core updates immediately.

You can always disable these unnecessary updates by heading to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced options.

Windows 10 is getting support for additional Microsoft products updates Microsoft-product-updates.jpg

The new .NET core updates for Windows 10 will begin rolling out to users next week when the tech giant is expected to publish December’s Patch Tuesday release. This month’s Patch Tuesday release will include bug fixes for Windows 10’s broken in-place upgrade process, dark mode issues, and more.

The post Windows 10 is getting support for additional Microsoft products updates appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Dec 4, 2020

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Windows 10 is getting support for additional Microsoft products updates [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Dec 4, 2020
  3. OSdevr Win User
    Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Oh dear they're still pushing that. I STILL don't like the metro tiles and stuff!

OSdevr, Dec 4, 2020
  4. desennium Win User

Microsoft Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Available Today

Microsoft released Windows 10, code named "Threshold 1," a little over two years ago. As of May of this year, there were approximately 500 million Windows 10 devices worldwide. Originally, Microsoft predicted that Windows 10 would be installed on 1 billion devices by mid-2018. When released, Windows 10 gained huge adoption from those running Windows 7 from the "free-upgrade program" which lasted one year.

Since then however, installations have slowly declined and in July of last year, Microsoft admitted that they would miss their projected goal of 1 billion devices. Since its release, Windows 10 has had three major update releases with "Threshold 2," in 2015, "Anniversary Update," in 2016, "Creators Update" in April of this year and today marks the release of Microsoft's fourth major feature update to its operating system, dubbed "Fall Creators Update," version 1709.

Today's update brings about many new features including:
    • OneDrive On demand (formerly known as OneDrive Placeholders introduced in WIndows 8.1) a way to keep track of your files stored on OneDrive from any of your devices without having to store them locally.
    • 'My People' Hub Integration makes it easier to stay in touch with people right from the taskbar
    • Story Remix gives you to the tools and the power to create content from your photos and videos to make memorable stories
    • Windows Mixed Reality brings a new generation of augmented reality where the real world meets the digital one.
    • Fluent Design System is Microsoft's new design that will take place over the next few years with each feature update. Microsoft intends to make all products and devices one user interface and it begins with the Fall Creators Update.

Furthermore, Microsoft has made changes and brings privacy enhancements with today's update. The Fall Creators Update gives users more control of what information is being collected. Users will be greeted with the Privacy Statement on the setup process to get an idea of what information that entails. Microsoft is also adding two game anti-cheating systems, called TruePlay and Game Monitor, to address the problem of cheating similarly to what VAC (Valve Anti-Cheating) does for Steam.

The Fall Creators Update is available today but will be rolled out in stages as usual. Newer devices most compatible with Windows 10 will receive the update first. The rollout will take several months before everyone is updated. However, if you don't see today's update you can use the Update Assistant Tool to manually update now, here.

Source: Microsoft

desennium, Dec 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 is getting support for additional Microsoft products updates - Similar Threads - getting support additional

2. Get Updates to Other Microsoft Products Won’t Stay Off / Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get Updates to Other Microsoft Products Won’t Stay Off / Windows 10: I found this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/receive-updates-for-other-ms-products-when-you/06048bbf-30ab-414a-b9a7-d17aca2c8287But the registry on my machine stops at \Windows. There is no \WindowsUpdate\AU to add a DWORD to....
  3. Get Updates to Other Microsoft Products Won’t Stay Off / Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get Updates to Other Microsoft Products Won’t Stay Off / Windows 10: I found this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/receive-updates-for-other-ms-products-when-you/06048bbf-30ab-414a-b9a7-d17aca2c8287But the registry on my machine stops at \Windows. There is no \WindowsUpdate\AU to add a DWORD to....
  4. Get Updates to Other Microsoft Products Won’t Stay Off / Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to get Microsoft Support business support

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get Microsoft Support business support: Called the 800-642-7676 answer machine and answer machine says to submit request online. The webpage does not have many categories. Tried to select something. Paid for support and got email receipt but there is no where further to go....
  6. How to get Microsoft Support business support

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get Microsoft Support business support: Called the 800-642-7676 answer machine and answer machine says to submit request online. The webpage does not have many categories. Tried to select something. Paid for support and got email receipt but there is no where further to go....
  7. Getting Microsoft Products

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting Microsoft Products: I just purchased an acer laptop model N21Q4 and I do not believe it came with any Microsoft software installed, Windows, Office, etc., and I would like to get them installed, how can I go about doing that?...
  8. Im getting Additional Updates available in Windows Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Im getting Additional Updates available in Windows Update: How exactly does this work and what is the best way to deal with these updates? This is more info on what Ive just seen on my PC I have clean installed 1903 recently so Im still getting used to the way Windows Updates works with 1903. I don't manually checked for updates. I...
  9. MS EXCEL (Math: Product / Addition)

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS EXCEL (Math: Product / Addition): [img] how to make auto calculate example, C * B = E (each item) and E = F should look like this [img] please help, thanks! 94411
  10. Get Windows 10 - Support.

in Windows 10 Support
    Get Windows 10 - Support.: Hey guys, I'm new here to the forum and require some help please. On my desktop pc the gw10 app didnt show for me although i have the correct windows updates etc... I have used the windows site and managed to get the app that way, but it fails saying that my cpu isn't...