Windows 10: Windows 10 is not letting me access data on any of my 3 external USB hard drives

Discus and support Windows 10 is not letting me access data on any of my 3 external USB hard drives in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; At this point it feels like I've tried everything. I have 3 hard drives and my laptop won't let me access any of my data. I have 2 Seagate 1.5 TB, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Nblearchangel, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Windows 10 is not letting me access data on any of my 3 external USB hard drives

At this point it feels like I've tried everything. I have 3 hard drives and my laptop won't let me access any of my data. I have 2 Seagate 1.5 TB, and 1 Western Digital 3 TB drive. I'm using a 12V power adapter to power all three and I've replaced the SS cable for the WD drive.

I have a USB thumb drive that is being recognized by my computer and my PC downstairs isn't having any more success than my laptop accessing the data.

First I tried replacing the connecting cable. I ran the WD drive utility to check that at least the WD drive is still good. All the drivers are up to date. I tried deselecting the option in the USB root hub to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I've tried uninstalling the USB root hubs. I "uninstalled" the devices from the computer using disk manager and rebooted. I've also tried changing the root drive device letter but the option is greyed out.

If there are any other things you can think of please let me know. These devices were all working not long ago and I was able to access them on my old MacBook Pro before I sold it 6 months ago.

EDIT: The disks are all appearing in Disk Manager

submitted by /u/Nblearchangel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Nblearchangel, Oct 17, 2020
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Unable to access external hard drive after Anniversay Update on Windows 10

Hello,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the hard drive?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to contact the device manufacturer's website, download the latest chipset drivers, install them manually and check if it helps.

Installing the latest chipset drivers will help you to install the drivers for USB ports.

Refer to the article by Andre Da Costa to install drivers in compatibility mode manually :
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of accessing external hard drive for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 17, 2020
  4. K_Nielsen Win User

Windows 10 is not letting me access data on any of my 3 external USB hard drives

External USB hard drive (docking station) not accessible

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop (ASUS TX300CA), which is a 2-in-1 laptop. Since the upgrade I have experienced problems with my "external" USB hard drive in the detachable keyboard. After a period of time, I cannot access the hard drive,
    and sometimes I loose data because the partions turn into a RAW-partion.

I have tried to disable different power saving settings, but the problem still persists.

Any suggestions what could cause the problem?

K_Nielsen, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 is not letting me access data on any of my 3 external USB hard drives

1. Windows 10 is not letting me access data on any of my 3 external USB hard drives - Similar Threads - letting access data

2. My hard drive will not let me access it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My hard drive will not let me access it: So I have a 1TB Toshiba external hard drive and it will not let me access it. I will try to click on it and then it will crash my file explorer and also my taskbar will disappear for a minute at most. I have also tried going into the properties of it but it won't let me do a...
  3. My hard drive will not let me access it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My hard drive will not let me access it: So I have a 1TB Toshiba external hard drive and it will not let me access it. I will try to click on it and then it will crash my file explorer and also my taskbar will disappear for a minute at most. I have also tried going into the properties of it but it won't let me do a...
  4. It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive: For some reason when I try and install a game onto my external hard drive it says that the location isn't set up for installing games and when I tried to change it from my C drive to my D drive it came up with a thing that said "Delete Other Apps" and when I press yes there...
  5. Drive will not let me access it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive will not let me access it: Hi, One of my hard drives on my computer all of a sudden will not let me access it. Labeled as my F drive. I click on it and it gives message of Working on it and just will not open to show files. I eventually have to X out of it. I have run some checks and it states...
  6. will microsoft let me use external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    will microsoft let me use external hard drive: will microsoft let me buy external hard drive outside their store https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-microsoft-let-me-use-external-hard-drive/a6799d4b-a309-41e8-be23-a0eeb077aa65
  7. Microsoft Store not letting me install to a External Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Store not letting me install to a External Hard Drive.: I am trying to install games from the Microsoft store to a external hard drive. Its what I play most of my steam and GOG games from. But for what ever reason I can't save games to it from the Microsoft Store. I set the drive as my app install location in settings. But when...
  8. Unable to access data stored on external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access data stored on external hard drive.: I am unable to access data that is stored on an external hard drive. I get an error message that says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." This is data I stored on this external drive. I have used this drive to store data off my computer and so off...
  9. Workaround to access data when: External Hard Drive "is not accessible. Access is denied."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Workaround to access data when: External Hard Drive "is not accessible. Access is denied.": I got the dreaded "[Drive] is not accessible" message after plugging my external USB hard drive into a new desktop computer. [ATTACH] The drive showed up fine in Disk Management, And after scouring the Internet for solutions, all of the Permissions were fine, as well is...
  10. Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures: Ever since I switched over to my new Windows 10 PC, I haven't been able to access my external USB 3.0 enclosures. They are all 4-disk enclosures by IcyDock (Black Vortex). On my old Windows 7 PC, all I had to do was turn it on and all 4 drives were detected via USB 3. Now on...