Windows 10: windows 10 is not updating after update and restart. No errors

Discus and support windows 10 is not updating after update and restart. No errors in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows has downloaded some update files 1607 to drive C but when rebooting it doesn't even start the update at all it just reboots as normal with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jamonbread22, Aug 6, 2016.

1. windows 10 is not updating after update and restart. No errors

Windows has downloaded some update files 1607 to drive C but when rebooting it doesn't even start the update at all it just reboots as normal with the update options still present in the start menu no errors just no update attempted.

I've ran the update troubleshooter and tried checking for more updates but it doesn't stop searching for them.
    Would it be safe to delete the update files on drive C and see if windows re-downloads them again maybe?

I've downloaded the anniversary update exe. but it looks like its stuck at 0%

:)

jamonbread22, Aug 6, 2016

2. "reference_by_pointer"

Getting this error as Windows 10 restarts after a Windows update. Everything works fine before and after the update. Any ideas?

Larry Martin_1956, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Windows 10 install stuck

I get the same error number but after the download has completed 100%. It then prepares for installation, starts the upgrade and gets the terms and conditions agreed. Then 'Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready - restart now.

Windows Update is preventing Windows from restarting'. How can you close Windows Update?

Shuts down and restarts with 'configuring update for Windows 10'. Gets part-way through then restarts and comes up with 'Windows 10 couldn't be installed'.

80070004-2000D Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

Help!!!!!!!

RogerH&wife, Aug 6, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

windows 10 is not updating after update and restart. No errors

HI, would suggest you separate the issues of download and upgrade and manually download the appropriate iso file (see Tutorial section if you need to know how).

Then burn a DVD, mount the iso or create a bootable USB disk, and proceed with the upgrade.

Note: the iso is useful if
    a. you have multiple PCs to upgrade
    b. you anticipate reinstalling later or doing a clean install
    c. so you have it should you need to do an in-place upgrade repair install (see Tutorials)
    d. if used to create a bootable medium, you can boot your PC from it for troubleshooting.

Prior to starting the upgrade:
    disable/uninstall any AV
    disconnect any unnecessary peripherals
    make sure you have enough space on your disk
    Run
    chkdsk C: /F
    and then
    sfc /scannow
    from an elevated command prompt

You can try doing a clean boot then starting the upgrade.

dalchina, Aug 7, 2016
  5. Hi I managed to get the upgrade installed by disabling internet connection after the file was downloaded and started the verifying process but now when I try to using command prompt to clean files I now get access denied ?

jamonbread22, Aug 7, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hello, great you've got the upgrade done.

I can't tell what it is you're trying to do from that extremely limited information.

What are you trying to delete, and why, why are you using a command prompt, and what command are you using?

Using a command prompt to delete things should be an exceptional case.

Are you using the command prompt from within Windows or from a bootable medium?

Sorry, my crystal ball is currently down for scheduled maintenance.... *chuckle

dalchina, Aug 7, 2016
  7. After the anniversary update there are a few update files left on my C drive like the windows.old folder and so I used command prompt to clean windows 10 which normally removes the update files that are no longer needed.

jamonbread22, Aug 7, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, you don't need to delete that manually- apparently the reversion period for this is only 10 days if I recall, at which point it will be deleted automatically.

That said, see
    Windows.old Folder - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    (it's always worth checking the extensive tutorial section or sometimes even searching the forum)

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 is not updating after update and restart. No errors - Similar Threads - updating update restart

2. after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017: after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-windows-10-update-cannot-restart-error/7bb1a585-fb5d-4631-bdab-f013be956b88
  3. after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017: after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-windows-10-update-cannot-restart-error/7bb1a585-fb5d-4631-bdab-f013be956b88
  4. after windows 10 update cannot restart error 0xc0000017

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 not installing updates after restart

Windows 10 not installing updates after restart: Hello MS. After installing Windows 10 21H1, it said I was on the latest version but I was still on 20H2. Now I can't reinstall the update. Can someone help me?????...
  6. Windows 10 keeps restarting after updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keeps restarting after updates: I am using "Windows 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Professional". If I don't have to use it for business reasons, I will switch to another operating system immediately. Because some genius minds thought that keep force closing all my running applications and force restarting my own...
  7. Windows 10 shutdown, restart, update errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 shutdown, restart, update errors: My system is facing many problems. It wont shutdown. Instead it restarts evenafter trying all the solutions from customer support. If given restart it didn't restart and get stuck at the start screen brand name and I have to again press the power button to switch off and on...
  8. Windows 10 update.... Restart error

Windows 10 update.... Restart error: Hello.... Well yesterday when I was not at home my younger brother was using the laptop and had clicked on the RESTART NOW TO UPDATE button.... Seeing that the screen had gone all blue and the loading dots rotating he got scared and switched off the Laptop using the power...
  9. Windows 10 update hangs after restarting

Windows 10 update hangs after restarting: I am running 1803 and have not received any 1809 updates yet. The laptop is a hp 8640p. With the regular auto update process it downloaded and installed 2 updates (don't know the kb no.). First update required reboot and the second one showed 100% installed. Since I went to...
  10. Windows 10 Updates Freeze After Restart

Windows 10 Updates Freeze After Restart: I don't know what to say except that people who work in Microsoft are bunch of retarded idiots. I just update Windows from 1709 to 1803 and didn't use computer 2 days he start to update Cumulative Update for Windows 10 1803 KB4103721 and afteer I restart he update 30% and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows not updating after restart

2. windows 10 19030.1 restart but no update

3. in-place upgrade error after restart not enough data

4. windows not updating on restart,
  5. update and restart not updating windows 10,
  6. windows 10 update and restart not updating,
  7. update and restart not updating,
  8. windows says it has any update but on restart the update is never completed