Windows 10: Windows 10 is not upgrading from Home to Pro after Hard disk replacement and OS reinstall

Discus and support Windows 10 is not upgrading from Home to Pro after Hard disk replacement and OS reinstall in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I got my laptop Dell Alienware 15 R3 [Have 3 SSD ports and 1 HDD port] with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I upgraded it to PRO via Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by H.V.Sharma, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Windows 10 is not upgrading from Home to Pro after Hard disk replacement and OS reinstall

Hi,

I got my laptop Dell Alienware 15 R3 [Have 3 SSD ports and 1 HDD port] with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I upgraded it to PRO via Microsoft Store in May 2018. It had 2 hard disks -> 1 SSD and 1 HDD. Later I installed an additional nVME SSD as well and installed OS on that. I have been using it ever since.

Recently, my HDD crashed. So I completely removed it and installed another nVME SSD. I had some programs installed on my hard disk previously so I thought of doing a clean windows install. I used Media creation tool to create an ISO and used it to reinstall windows.

But I recently noticed that my version of Windows is Windows 10 Home. When I go to Microsoft Store, it shows me "Buy" option rather than install upgrade. I still have the order details in the same Microsoft account by which I bought the upgrade.

I also tried entering the generic Windows 10 Pro key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T but it didn't work. I called Microsoft support as well. The Level 1 technical executive kept repeating these words:

"Since you had a 'KEYLESS' windows, you have to purchase a new Windows 10 Pro with a Product Key to have a PRO version. Nothing can be done further!"

I refused to accept that answer and I asked him to transfer the call to higher level. He kept me waiting for 20 mins on call saying I am transferring please bear with me. At last, the call got disconnected.

This is completely unethical from MS. I didn't change my laptop but I just changed my damn hard drive! I already paid around 120$ for the upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro! Why in the world should I purchase again?

:)

H.V.Sharma, Dec 12, 2020

2. Windows 10 Enterprise fails to re-activate after hard disk replacement

The system is a laptop where the single hard disk failed and was replaced. Unfortunately, there was no recent, viable backup of the hard disk that could be used to restore it.

A successful clean install was made from en-gb_windows_10_business_edition_version_1803_update_jul_2018_x64_dvd_12613160.iso.

The first login used my Microsoft Work or School account but I was unable to activate it from that account.

I then created a user with my Microsoft Account (which uses the same email address) but was unable to activate it from that account either.

The laptop has a firmware-embedded activation key. It appears in the devices list for my Microsoft Account and also appears in the devices list in the Azure Active Directory which we receive as part of Office 365.

It is a commodity laptop that was supplied with Windows Home installed; upgraded to Windows Pro using Get Genuine; and upgraded to Windows Enterprise with an OS upgrade using a product key. It was regularly updated before the hard disk failure.

I had anticipated that re-activation after the hard disk replacement should have been simple!

Any pointers to where I might be going wrong? Or suggestions as to how to diagnose this? I'm a volunteer systems administrator for a Museum (non-profit / charity) and this is outside my comfort zone.

JohnConnett, Dec 12, 2020
  3. Reinstall of Windows 10 after replacing hard disk

I have upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 before the deadline of free upgrade. Afterwards my hard disk was failed and replaced with Windows 7 installed again. In this case, can I reinstall/re-upgrade to Windows 10 once more?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 7 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

TheodoreBut, Dec 12, 2020
  4. DMarvin54 Win User

Windows 10 is not upgrading from Home to Pro after Hard disk replacement and OS reinstall

Windows 10 Pro reinstall after hard drive failure

My hard drive failed and had to be replaced. I had just replaced it a few months ago and still had the USB boot drive with the Windows 10 reinstall I created at that time. When I ran it for the previous HD install, I was automatically upgraded to Windows
    10 Pro without any issues. I used the same USB drive to reinstall the OS on the replacement drive and cannot get it to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Instead I get this: "You're running Windows 10 Home and you're all set." I am not all set - I have a digital license
    and I want Windows 10 Pro. I have tried every suggestion on the Microsoft site and end up in the same place.

Has anyone run into this and know of a way past it? The support assistant thing is useless.

Thank-you for any insights you can provide.

DMarvin54, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 is not upgrading from Home to Pro after Hard disk replacement and OS reinstall

1. Windows 10 is not upgrading from Home to Pro after Hard disk replacement and OS reinstall - Similar Threads - upgrading Home Pro

2. Help Upgrading OS from windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help Upgrading OS from windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Home: I bought a laptop from work, but I don't know the local_admin password. the company was sold to another company and I can no longer contact the IT guys to help me recover the Local_Admin password on my laptop.It runs on Windows 8.1 Pro and I plan to wipe the entire disc...
  3. Help Upgrading OS from windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help Upgrading OS from windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Home: I bought a laptop from work, but I don't know the local_admin password. the company was sold to another company and I can no longer contact the IT guys to help me recover the Local_Admin password on my laptop.It runs on Windows 8.1 Pro and I plan to wipe the entire disc...
  4. Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement: I had upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. However, my hard disk crashed and my service provider re installed window 7 after installing new hard disk. Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 and windows will identify earlier activation if its not based on hard disk....
  5. Reinstall Windows 10 Pro after upgrade from Windows 10 Home.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstall Windows 10 Pro after upgrade from Windows 10 Home.: I Have a client computer that came with Windows 10 home. Purchased Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the microsoft store and upgraded. About a year ago. The Hard drive crashed. Will the product key I received for the upgrade work to reinstall Pro? I really do not want to install...
  6. Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing windows 10 home hard disk with SSD: Hi! I have an HP Envy x360 m6-aq105dx convertible laptop that I bought from Best Buy. I'd like to replace the slow hard disk with an SSD, but I don't have the Windows 10 Product key to create an installable USB flash drive. It looks like there may be some non-trivial ways to...
  7. Factory Reset on an OS upgraded from Win 10 Home to Pro

Factory Reset on an OS upgraded from Win 10 Home to Pro: I'd like to factory reset my laptop, as i'm going to be selling it. The question i have is, when i factory reset the laptop using microsofts default method, will it revert back to Win10 Home? I upgraded my laptop to Pro online after i bought it from the factory with Home...
  8. Downloading Windows 10 OS after a replacement hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Downloading Windows 10 OS after a replacement hard drive: My grandson has an HP Pavillion 23A10PC with serial number and product code details that operated from a 64 bit Windows 10. How does he get to download a replacement OS and install it?...
  9. Upgrading to pro from an unactivated Windows home OS

Upgrading to pro from an unactivated Windows home OS: As the title implies I am currently trying to upgrade my Window Home to Window Pro, but it won't allow me to upgrade since it is an unactivated version of home or at least that's what I think the problem is. Is there something I am missing?...
  10. how to reinstall windows 10 (home) after replace hard drive

how to reinstall windows 10 (home) after replace hard drive: FACTS: Dell inspiron 3050 (small fanless cube) came with windows 8.1 later upgraded to windows 10 .. it only had a 32 gig solid state drive which is so crowded now it has NOT been able to update since oct 2017because it says it needs 8 gig on c to do the update ... I tried...