Windows 10: Windows 10 is tied to my Microsoft Account but logging in on my new PC doesn't transfer it.

Discus and support Windows 10 is tied to my Microsoft Account but logging in on my new PC doesn't transfer it. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I think I may already be out of luck because I used a Windows 7 key during the free upgrade program to Windows 10 back in 2016. Nonetheless, Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/re4235, Aug 15, 2020.

1. /u/re4235 Win User

Windows 10 is tied to my Microsoft Account but logging in on my new PC doesn't transfer it.

I think I may already be out of luck because I used a Windows 7 key during the free upgrade program to Windows 10 back in 2016. Nonetheless, Windows 10 IS activated on my old computer through my Microsoft account, but it just won't transfer to my newly built PC.

It it really scummy to think I may have to buy Windows again when I technically already have it. Was the upgrade program only tied to a single PC? I would like to get as much information on this as possible if I go through with buying another key.

submitted by /u/re4235
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/re4235, Aug 15, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10 doesn`t log in after update

Hi,

You may need to reset your password for you to access your account again. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Are you trying to log in to your Microsoft Account or to your Windows 10 local account?
    • Have you tried resetting your password?

Meanwhile, you're trying to log in to your Microsoft Account, we suggest that you follow the steps in this

forum article
    shared by PaulSey on how to reset your password and recover your Microsoft Account.

If you're trying to log in to your Windows 10 local account, we suggest that you perform the instructions in this

article
    on how you can reset your Windows 10 local account.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Aug 15, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Aug 15, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Windows 10 is tied to my Microsoft Account but logging in on my new PC doesn't transfer it.

register PC with microsoft; use local account to log in

Just simply log in with your Microsoft Account.
    Switch to Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Just go back to using a local account:
    Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

Hopefully the tutorials are step by step enough.

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 is tied to my Microsoft Account but logging in on my new PC doesn't transfer it. - Similar Threads - tied Microsoft Account

2. Not able to log in into my PC with Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to log in into my PC with Microsoft account: From one day to another, I got prevented by the system to log in into my PC. My usual PIN is not working anymore and returns the following message: "This Sign-In Option Is Disabled Because of Failed Sign-In Attempts".I tried accessing with my Microsoft account but despite...
  3. Not able to log in into my PC with Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to log in into my PC with Microsoft account: From one day to another, I got prevented by the system to log in into my PC. My usual PIN is not working anymore and returns the following message: "This Sign-In Option Is Disabled Because of Failed Sign-In Attempts".I tried accessing with my Microsoft account but despite...
  4. If I buy a windows 11 key and tie it to my new Microsoft account instead of my old one,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I buy a windows 11 key and tie it to my new Microsoft account instead of my old one,...: I currently have a windows account and its already activated with a windows key. I'm planning to buy a new windows 11 key and set it in a new Microsoft account, but I will use the key in 2 months time. Will I be able to activate windows in the new pc that I get with the new...
  5. If I buy a windows 11 key and tie it to my new Microsoft account instead of my old one,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If I buy a windows 11 key and tie it to my new Microsoft account instead of my old one,...: I currently have a windows account and its already activated with a windows key. I'm planning to buy a new windows 11 key and set it in a new Microsoft account, but I will use the key in 2 months time. Will I be able to activate windows in the new pc that I get with the new...
  6. Transferring account to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring account to new PC: Hi guys, My current PC is on its last legs so, before it fails completely, I'm getting a new one. I have an existing Microsoft account and have Windows 10 Pro and access to Office applications such as Excel and Word. If I sign into my existing account on a new PC will I...
  7. Are Windows 10 keys tied to microsoft accounts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are Windows 10 keys tied to microsoft accounts?: A friend bought a windows 10 pro key for a computer that had no SO instaled. After installing he activated the windows 10 copy and introduced and tied it to a microsoft account, as is required (by wich i mean, he did the custom setup for windows 10 pro). Now he has to format...
  8. Transfer my windows 10 microsoft linked retail licence to my new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer my windows 10 microsoft linked retail licence to my new PC: Hi, so i am building a new computer, and i need to know what exact step will i have to do for transfering my windows to my new computer. I have a retail licence linked to my microsoft account. It is nor ally a windows 8 retail licence but upgraded to windows 10 for free. So,...
  9. Transferring my account to a new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring my account to a new PC: Hello dear Microsoft Community, I will be moving to another pc today. I will no more be using my current pc. I have an active Windows 10 Pro key linked to my microsoft account. When switching my computer, is it enough to me to format my current pc and just link my account to...
  10. Logging in to Microsoft account on my new PC.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Logging in to Microsoft account on my new PC.: I just bought a new laptop with windows 10, before resetting my old PC, I removed my old device from my Microsoft dashboard and logged out from Microsoft account on that PC. Now I want to log in to my new PC using Microsoft account. should I create a new Microsoft ID or I...