Windows 10: Windows 10 is trying to run a .dll file at startup and always asks how I want to run it

Discus and support Windows 10 is trying to run a .dll file at startup and always asks how I want to run it in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am aware than a user or the system are both not supposed to be able to run .dll files and that they are used only directly by other apps. Knowing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Aggelos Gedeon, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Windows 10 is trying to run a .dll file at startup and always asks how I want to run it

I am aware than a user or the system are both not supposed to be able to run .dll files and that they are used only directly by other apps. Knowing that, just makes me more confused as to why would the system even try to run a .dll file. I took a peek in the task scheduler and found nothing that could be causing this but I would be more than happy to look again if anyone can help with that. Thanks to everyone in advance.P.S.: To provide some extra information, I do not recall installing or uninstalling anything driver/app before this started occuring.

:)

Aggelos Gedeon, Jun 20, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Error missing .dll files when trying to run Smite

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In understand that you get error with .dll files missing when you try to run Smite on your computer.

The error message that you are getting are related to DirectX. DirectX 12 and 11.3 are included with Windows 10. I would suggest you to try updating DirectX from the installer

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer
    and see if that helps.

You may also want to update the Display drivers and see if that helps. To update the Display Drivers, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Expand Display adapters.
    3. Right click on the display driver and select
      Update Driver

Article for reference:
    Update drivers in Windows 10

One more method I would suggest you is to check for any DirectX installation file included with the game. You may want to install the version of DirectX provided along with the game and see if that helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 20, 2021
  3. Error: "MSVCR120.dll is eithernot designed to run on Windows or it contains an error" while trying to install a game on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in installing the game on your device. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you downloaded a fresh copy of the installation file and tried to re-install it when you say: "uninstalling it and reinstalling"?
    • Is the game compatible to run on Windows 10 operating system?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried when you say: "i ve run all sorts of tests"?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ missing system files. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run a SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 2: I suggest you to refer to the below thread, check if your issue matches. If so try the troubleshooting steps suggested by
    ME () and check if your issue is resolved.

Windows update now MSVCP110.dll missing

Hope it helps. Get back to us with the required information and updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 20, 2021
  4. Windows 10 is trying to run a .dll file at startup and always asks how I want to run it

Error: missing msvcp110.dll and msvcr110.dll with message: not designed to run on Windows or are corrupted on Windows 10 while playing Smite game

Hi Estelito,

Thank you for responding.

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Unregister and re-register the msvcp110.dll and then check if you come across the issue.

Step 1: Steps to un-register
    msvcp110.dll

• Press Windows + R from the keyboard to open
      Run
      command.
    • Type regsvr32 /u msvcp110.dll
    • Click on OK.
    • Close the Run command window

Step 2:
    Steps to re-register msvcp110.dll

• Press Windows + R from the keyboard to open
      Run
      command.
    • Type regsvr32 /i msvcp110.dll
    • Click on OK.
    • Close the Run command window and check if the issue persists.

Method 2: Check if you have not deleted the msvcp110.dll file by mistake on your device.

Check for the file in Recycle bin. If found restore back.

Method 3: I suggest you to run the Microsoft Safety Scanner
    and check.

Microsoft Safety Scanner

Also, when you perform Microsoft Safety Scanner from the link provided, data or files which are infected by malware might be beyond cleaning and have to be deleted entirely to maintain the integrity of your system, which means there might be a potential
    for data loss.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 20, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 is trying to run a .dll file at startup and always asks how I want to run it

1. Windows 10 is trying to run a .dll file at startup and always asks how I want to run it - Similar Threads - trying run dll

2. missing dll files when trying to run games

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    missing dll files when trying to run games: missing dll files when trying to run gamesi recently installed windows 10 on a fresh computer but when i tried to run any of the games i downloaded i got errors even i reinstall directx runtime and c++1. steam_api.dll missing2. fmodex.dll missing3. fmod_event.dll missing4....
  3. I want to run an executable file that is not an app at startup of Windows.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to run an executable file that is not an app at startup of Windows.: I want to run an executable file that is not an app at startup on Windows 10. The executable happens to be a process monitor that I have used for years on Windows 7 and earlier versions Procexp64.exe but the specifics shouldn't matter. It was quite easy to add it as a simple...
  4. Run DLL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Run DLL: I keep getting this message when I power up my laptop: Run DLL There was a problem starting c:\users\dlaga\cnmss How do I get rid of this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-dll/75fd78a5-2c48-449e-ac72-623a3477d366
  5. missing dll files when trying to run games

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    missing dll files when trying to run games: i recently installed windows 10 on a fresh computer but when i tried to run any of the games i downloaded i got three errors 1. d3dx9_43.dll missing 2. MSVCP100.dll missing 3. MSVCR100.dll missing someone please help me !...
  6. Startup Run DLL error on startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Startup Run DLL error on startup: On startup, I get message "There was a problem starting C\:Users\rober\cnmss The module could not be found" I "x" out of it, and it doesn't seem to effect anything. Is there something I should be doing about this?...
  7. Run DLL

in Windows 10 Customization
    Run DLL: RunDLL Error at Windows 10 Startup The following error message pops up whenever I login. It's associated with an HP Officejet 6700 which has been replaced with a new HP Officejet 8710. "Run DLL" "There was a problem starting C:\Program Files\HP\HP...
  8. How to remove "Run DLL" ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove "Run DLL" ?: I scrapped an old HP Envy printer recently but just can't get rid of a left over pop up when I first log on saying "Run DLL". Anyone know ? Thanks *Smile 125153
  9. Windows Defender wants to run at startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender wants to run at startup: Since a very recent reinstall of Windows 10, Windows Defender now keeps wanting to be part of Start-up..In the past it seems to me that it was only activated if your anti-virus protection was off or if none was installed. Now it seems as if the intention of Windows Defender...
  10. Run dll

in Windows 10 Support
    Run dll: I have a RUN DDL/COMMON that pops up repeats from 2-4 times when logging on . 32757