Windows 10: Windows 10 isn't recognizing my dvd/cd drive.

Discus and support Windows 10 isn't recognizing my dvd/cd drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo 420s 2nd gen with Windows 10 enterprise and I cant get it to recognize my dvd/cd reader writer, either the one installed or external.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dave-437, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Dave-437 Win User

Windows 10 isn't recognizing my dvd/cd drive.

I have a Lenovo 420s 2nd gen with Windows 10 enterprise and I cant get it to recognize my dvd/cd reader writer, either the one installed or external. I've had no luck changing this. Any ideas?

:)

Dave-437, Sep 28, 2020

2. CD/DVD drive not recognized

---I'm okay with opening latops. I've opened this one 3 times, adding SSD HD and upgrading RAM. I'll be able to try this later on, Friday, probably. With it spinning up when a CD is inserted, I'm not sure this would help. I'd appreciate advice on this.

Windows 10 isn't recognizing my dvd/cd drive. [​IMG]

DellySheCorte, Sep 28, 2020
  3. CD/DVD drive not recognized

First, try inserting a disc in the drive, does it spin up?
    Sometimes, it takes media in the device to be recognized, rare for an optical drive though.

A few other suggestions
    • Try uninstalling the device in Dev mgr, wait 2 or 3 minutes and if Windows doesn't cycle though hardware changes, right click any device and select Scan for Hardware changes.

• You might also want to check File and Folder options in File Explorer
      press the blue file menu,
      select Change folder and Serach options
      select the View tab
      is show empty drives selected?

• It would help members if you could post a screen shot of Dev mgr device properties (post the first 4 tabs)
      If it is an unknown device -post the General tab and the Details.
      On the Details tab, select Hardware IDs from the drop down box

I'm not sure if these suggestions will help. I had a similar issue with a CD drive on a Vista box, turned out to be a hardware issue on the Mobo. The optical drive is really controlled by a few settings (DVD, CD, Writer) and when it doesn't work, it is hard to diagnose.

If the device worked before (recently), it's a Win10 issue, and it might be version specific. There are known issues with AMD graphics drivers, this might extend to the chipset as well - those with Intel boards / CPUs can ignore this part. It's a guess anyway.

If you're comfortable with hardware, you might try removing the optical drive from the box, restarting without it attached, and then shut down, reinstall the optical drive and start up the machine.

Follow instructions in the service manual for your device or on the mfr website.

Slartybart, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Joosujin Win User

CD/DVD drive is not correctly displayed

All the resolutions listed under Method 1 apply to the cases when CD/DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs. Fortunately, my drive is recognized by Windows and other programs. I tried all the step-by-step resolutions listed, but did not
    work. For some reason, my CD/DVD drive icon is not the right icon for the drive, and is for compact flash. Any idea?

I also reset my BIOS settings back to factory reset, but it did not help.

Joosujin, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 isn't recognizing my dvd/cd drive. - Similar Threads - isn't recognizing dvd

2. Windows isn't recognizing my CD/DVD Player June 2020

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows isn't recognizing my CD/DVD Player June 2020: ...and it's VERY frustrating! I have an ASUS G752VT laptop running Windows 10 1909. It has 16GB of memory, and the system type is 64-bit OS. When I start up my computer the cd drive makes a sound indicating it's going to work. I go to "This PC" and click on DVD RW Drive...
  3. My DVD/CD-ROM drive isn't playing any DVD's

My DVD/CD-ROM drive isn't playing any DVD's: I'll first mention my system's specifications: Windows 10 Pro 1903, 64-bit (OS build: 18362.207) Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70 GHz, 4.00GB RAM, 500GB HDD HP Elitebook 8470p (Yes I'm using a laptop, it's a used/second-hand one) My DVD/CD-ROM drive is "hp DVDRAM...
  4. My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.

My CD/DVD drive is no longer recognized.: My CD/DVD drive is not recognized by my HP Elitebook. I tried uninstalling the driver and restarting the system several times. When I restart, the drivers are reinstalled and Device Manager reports that the drive is working correctly. However, the drive does not show up in...
  5. windows 10 doesn't recognize my cd/dvd drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 doesn't recognize my cd/dvd drive: My windows isn't recognizing my Windows 10. Now according to MS support I'm running windows 10 64? Which I'm sorry not to familiar with that. My issue is my cd/dvd drive isn't recognized by windows. I tried a few solutions that was posted on the Community but to no avail ?...
  6. CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows

CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows: I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 Laptop, and when I bought it from my friend, it was still Windows 7 and the DVD/CD drive worked fine, but after I upgraded to Windows 10, when I put in any disc, it doesn't read. I've contacted support multiple times, they tried to help but...
  7. Windows 10 does not recognize the DVD part of my external DVD/CD drive

Windows 10 does not recognize the DVD part of my external DVD/CD drive: Windows 10, Cocopa external DVD/CD writer. Windows 10 does not recognize the DVD. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-does-not-recognize-the-dvd-part-of-my/b0d37d42-8936-4ffa-b689-3d511ed2ca19
  8. no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.

no recognizing the cd/dvd drive.: my new computeronly 2 weeks old will not see my cd/dvd player. i have tried several different disk and rebooted the computer but still no recognizing the drive...
  9. No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive

No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive: Since receiving the Win 10 Home upgrade my computer no longer recognizes the DVD drive. It doesn't show in Device Manger or in the device list in This PC although it does spin up if you insert media into it. I've tried all the suggested remedies except messing with the...
  10. CD/DVD drive not recognized

CD/DVD drive not recognized: I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8. My Dell laptop does not see the DVD drive. I had no success getting the drive to work in Windows 8 and (maybe of course) it doesnt see it now. This seems to be a common problem I have tried numerous fixes but have not had...