Windows 10: Windows 10 isn't saving thumbnail cache for my game folder.

Discus and support Windows 10 isn't saving thumbnail cache for my game folder. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a folder on my desktop called "PC GAMES" and it has shortcuts to my game executables. I have the folder set to "View extra large icons"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Nikorasu, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Nikorasu Win User

Windows 10 isn't saving thumbnail cache for my game folder.

I have a folder on my desktop called "PC GAMES" and it has shortcuts to my game executables. I have the folder set to "View extra large icons" unfortunately Windows 10 doesn't load the cache all the time and my HDD has to spin up to load all the icons again. Sometimes I can open the folder and the HDD doesn't have to load all the icons and sometimes it does. What can I do to make Windows always load the cache for that folder so my HDD doesn't have to load all those icons? I'm afraid my HDD is going to wear out faster. *Sad

:)

Nikorasu, Nov 2, 2017

2. Customised folder pics reverting back to default?

This could be many reasons.

If you are just putting files into a folder and the folder shows thumbnail preview and then later is show default folder image

then it is probably because Windows 10 deletes your thumbnail cache when it reaches about 500MB.

You can in the properties>Customize

use a photo (jpg etc) to display that folder view

you can select an icon and use that for folder display

Note Icons and thumbnails are different and have separate caches to store them.

But you say it shows a thumbnail view and when putting in new item into that folder, the folder view goes back to default view.

That is a bit odd if the case

Maybe rebuild your thumb nail and icon caches

download and run tool, it works good

Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder for Windows 10

and disable auto deleting of your thumbnail cache. and increase icon cache

Stop Windows 10 Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache "Updated"

Usually your folder will show 2 items on the thumbnail and usually after adding more items into that folder, the view will not change

go into folder options>view tab and make sure the first box is unchecked. Apply - Apply to folders - OK

seahawks65, Nov 2, 2017
  3. How do I see photos and not the icon in my pictures files?

If you click the View tab in the Pictures folder, you can choose Large or Extra large icons.

If you are not seeing the actual photo, you will need to reset the icon cache:

Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Nov 2, 2017
Thema:

Windows 10 isn't saving thumbnail cache for my game folder.

1. Windows 10 isn't saving thumbnail cache for my game folder. - Similar Threads - isn't saving thumbnail

2. Icon thumbnail cache corrupted on my windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon thumbnail cache corrupted on my windows 11: Hello,My desktop computer has the latest update for Windows 11, but sometimes the thumbnail cache becomes corrupted. I have rebuilt the thumbnail cache several times, but the problem persists. It happens repeatedly. What could be the reason for this? Due to this issue, I have...
  3. Question about thumbnail cache save locations

Question about thumbnail cache save locations: Hi all,I recently created a symbolic hard link from my "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" folder to a folder on an external drive, so the thumbnail cache would be saved there.I noticed just now that I had disconnected that drive, and because of that the...
  4. Question about thumbnail cache save locations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about thumbnail cache save locations: Hi all,I recently created a symbolic hard link from my "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer" folder to a folder on an external drive, so the thumbnail cache would be saved there.I noticed just now that I had disconnected that drive, and because of that the...
  5. Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail: I recently cleaned the thumbnail cache on my computer. However, an error occurred in my thumbnail, previously the thumbnail showed my laptop icon, and it is black now. How to fix it ?...
  6. Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail

Cleared Thumbnail Cache Creates Error in Thumbnail: I recently cleaned the thumbnail cache on my computer. However, an error occurred in my thumbnail, previously the thumbnail showed my laptop icon, and it is black now. How to fix it ?...
  7. How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10: Hi, I am facing problem as the Progress Bar keep running green after the optional windows update of KB455094 though I have deleted it but the problem remain same. Even Explorer can not be open unless I reboot computer whenever I have to access folders in Explorer....
  8. Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 keeps deleting thumbnail cache: My thumbnail cache for everything is constantly being deleted. I can open up a folder with a few jpeg's, back arrow , and immediately return to the folder and all of the thumbnails have to reload again. It happens on every drive I have. It's happening on the drive the...
  9. Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows How to Enable or Disable Save Taskbar Thumbnail Previews to Cache in Windows When you hover over the icon or button on the taskbar of opened items, it will show an instant thumbnail preview of...
  10. Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10: How to: Clear and Reset Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 How to Clear and Reset the Thumbnail Cache in Windows 10 Windows keeps a copy of all your folder, picture, video, and document thumbnails in a cache so they can be reused to quickly display when you open a folder...