Windows 10: Windows 10 Issue - Boots fine and works for 2 mins, then freezes

Discus and support Windows 10 Issue - Boots fine and works for 2 mins, then freezes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Specs: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3GHz 16GB RAM GTX 970 4GB 120GB SSD 1TB HDD So I have had an earlier build of Windows 10 TP on my system installed onto... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by OChrisJonesO, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Issue - Boots fine and works for 2 mins, then freezes

Specs:
    AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3GHz
    16GB RAM
    GTX 970 4GB
    120GB SSD
    1TB HDD

So I have had an earlier build of Windows 10 TP on my system installed onto my SSD and I was using that as my daily driver for about a month or so. It worked great and I was loving the new features! However, there was an update to build 10041 that failed multiple times trying to install, and eventually screwed itself up to the point where I had to do a fresh install. After doing a fresh install of 10041, I reinstalled all my programs and everything was wroking just fine in the first boot. However, after rebooting a couple of times, I'm noticing some problems. I can login and go to my desktop just fine and everything works perfectly for about 30seconds to 2 minutes, and then after that things go haywire. Start menu won't work, the cortana search goes blank, explorer hangs, chrome freezes, windows updates will pause, and my pc just becomes unusable and I have to manually reboot. After doing this many times and troublshooting (disabling startup programs/services, etc) Safe mode would open up saying it had an "unknown hard error" when I tried to boot into it. I had to reinstall again. This time, I'm running on build 10049 and it's doing exactly the same thing as before. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm about to just reinstall my windows 7 again.*Mad

:)

OChrisJonesO, Apr 2, 2015

2. Windows 10 works fine, then eventually freezes

Hello,

Thank you for providing a detailed information on your issue. I appreciate the step-by-step troubleshooting and the pains you took to resolve your issue. However, there are a few more steps that we can try to fix the issue permanently.

As per the issue description your computer freezes. The issue could be if there is some system file corruption or there is some third party conflict.

Let’s boot the computer in Safe Mode and check if issue reappears. Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words
    Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you’re using. You may refer to the article mentioned below to boot the computer in safe mode.

Change startup settings in Windows 10

If computer works fine in safe mode then try to perform clean boot and see if it brings any difference.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Apr 2, 2015
  3. Windows 10 works fine, then eventually freezes

Since I updated my computer to Windows 10, everything works fine for a while, then after some number of hours of using the computer, the whole computer will freeze and become completely unresponsive to anything and the only solution
    is to hard reboot. Before I updated I did everything Sony recommended including software updates to prepare for Windows 10, updated BIOS, etc.

My machine: Sony Vaio SVE14A390X

Processor: Intel Core i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz

Installed memory: 8GB

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

My Windows build: 10.0.10586.0

Things I have tried so far:

Checked Windows update (no updates available)

Checked Vaio update (no updates available)

Checked for driver updates (no updates available, although "Programmable interrupt controller" and "system timer" have no drivers at all, no available updates, and disabling/re-enabling did nothing)

sfc/scannow (found no issues)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (scan found no issues, completed successfully)

Please help! I think I'm outside the window to revert to Windows 8.1 at this point.

LaurenJanas, Apr 2, 2015
  4. rmonroe36 Win User

Windows 10 Issue - Boots fine and works for 2 mins, then freezes

Check this forum for AMD graphics issues and see:
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...hreadid=183761

Rich

Edit: Link for Win10 forum: AMD working on drivers for Windows 10 preview builds

Edit #2: Whoops! Missed you are using NVidia

rmonroe36, Apr 2, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Issue - Boots fine and works for 2 mins, then freezes

1. Windows 10 Issue - Boots fine and works for 2 mins, then freezes - Similar Threads - Issue Boots fine

2. Windows take 10 min to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows take 10 min to boot: Hi I have a problem, my Windows is taking... 20 minute to boot , I reinstalled Windows No problem occurred, but after two days and after downloading the updates, the same problem occurred windows take 20 min to boot Ssd is new...
  3. Windows take 10 min to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows take 10 min to boot: Hi I have a problem, my Windows is taking... 20 minute to boot , I reinstalled Windows No problem occurred, but after two days and after downloading the updates, the same problem occurred windows take 20 min to boot Ssd is new...
  4. Windows take 10 min to boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. games working fine for 10 mins but suddenly the frames drop to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    games working fine for 10 mins but suddenly the frames drop to 10: i dont know why but whenever i play games for 5-10 mins it works fine and my cpu and disk give it sufficient power to run but after 10 mins suddenly my cpu and disk drop to 5-6% and frame suddenly drops to 10 fps i tried checking if it is a overheat issue and no it is not...
  6. games working fine for 10 mins but suddenly the frames drop to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    games working fine for 10 mins but suddenly the frames drop to 10: i dont know why but whenever i play games for 5-10 mins it works fine and my cpu and disk give it sufficient power to run but after 10 mins suddenly my cpu and disk drop to 5-6% and frame suddenly drops to 10 fps i tried checking if it is a overheat issue and no it is not...
  7. games working fine for 10 mins but suddenly the frames drop to 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Internet is fine for 2 - 3 mins then cuts out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet is fine for 2 - 3 mins then cuts out: This has been happening for 5 days now. Basically, what is happening is my internet is fine when I log on for about 2 - 3 mins. It then says I am secured to the network WITH Wi-Fi even, yet I cant even load up a browser page. When I troubleshoot it, it comes up with 4...
  9. Windows 10 freezing randomly (Linux works fine)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 freezing randomly (Linux works fine): Hey, I have built a new PC a couple of weeks ago and I'm experiencing following problem when using Windows 10 (and only on Windows - I have a parallel Linux installation which works perfectly). Every once in a while, seemingly at random (can happen 3 times in an hour or...
  10. Windows 10 boot time 2 mins

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 boot time 2 mins: it take 2 mins for the laptop too completely boot up what is wrong any help 18176

Users found this page by searching for:

1. curser freezes for 2 minutes then works fine hp